Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Hard Body Paint Not Sticking Well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Hard Body Paint Not Sticking Well

I tried both Krylon primer for plastics, and Rustoleum 2x primer for plastics on a few test pieces from the D90 body kit.

I ended up returning the Krylon to the store. I could scratch it off after two days.
A week later I decided to try scratching it off again and I realized it had finally cured and had an excellent bond.
By then I had already painted with the Rustoleum 2x - topcoat and all.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2018, 06:23 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Earlier in this thread, a couple people mentioned not needing primer, or that you're not supposed to use it. I disagree. The primer I used was also a plastic specific one that bonds to the material. As far as then using a plastic specific finish color / paint, why would you not? The products are designed to work in conjunction with one another and virtually eliminate the potential for chemical reactions between the two that we sometimes see when mixing different types of paint.

I suppose everyone has their little tricks and tips regarding painting. But, I've done several hard bodies this way now, and they have all held up excellent. Just my .02 pesos.

At the end of the day though, I think the devil is in the details with any painting project. Thorough prepping and cleaning is probably the most important part of the project prior to spraying whatever you chose to use.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #23

To update my OP, everything seems fine now, except the paint is still as brittle as before. It scratches off insanely easily, however it's just down to the primer which is sticking perfectly well to the body. It seems you'd need some extremely hard and deep scratches to get through the primer now.

I guess I give up on not having horrible scratches. Next time I'll just paint the same color as the primer and it wont matter.
Hakizi is offline   Reply With Quote

Hard Body Paint Not Sticking Well - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will sticking magnets to my shell peel my paint after time Mariano Paint and Body 7 04-19-2013 08:39 PM
Hard body paint? Constant Threat Paint and Body 2 01-26-2013 09:50 PM
Pactra Paint not Sticking cpercival Paint and Body 6 04-05-2012 07:43 PM
Hard body paint?? Help Please Colorofkris Paint and Body 0 12-20-2011 03:41 PM
hard body paint dragr87 Paint and Body 13 08-07-2009 11:11 PM