Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Best way to take paint off lexan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best way to take paint off lexan

So I just picked up an axial scx10.2 wrangler and since its an rtr they all come red. I was wonder any tips or tricks to strip paint off lexan so I can re paint it. Or do you think I’m better off just getting another 2017 Jeep body
mikemollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best way to take paint off lexan

Lexan, technically polycarbonate plastic, bodies are painted on the inside. The solvents in the paint dissolve into the plastic surface, so it's not something you can chip off, and any solvent strong enough to remove it will ruin the plastic in the process. Some have had some success sanding off inside windows and re-polish them, depending on the body and type of paint used. A few new RedCats got done this way, but for the most part it's an effort in futility.

The rest of us paint the outside, or get a new clear body and paint it the way you want.
And you rock crawl them like most of us they get scratched to rat$hit so having an extra is always a bonus.

Here's my yellow K10 painted with Tamiya gray. It looks nice, a low-gloss finish, but scratches off pretty easily. This one has finally been retired.

Below that is a body painted with regular spray enamel on the inside...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Odd, I remove lexan paint easily without damage , melting, or discoloration. For small areas 91% isopropyl will work well. To strip an entire body Nitro fuel will work well.
BOTH of these are flammable, SO common safety rules do apply and the well ventilated area also pops up

Try both methods on painted scraps
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I didn't know about this for the longest time but there is such a product made just for removing paint from lexan without damaging it in the process, I've used it with great success.

Tamiya Polycarbonate body cleaner 87118 https://www.google.com/search?q=tami...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you need to do an entire body I'd recommend getting 2-3 bottles, they're pretty small.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Think I’ll just paint the outside sounds like the better option for now and I’ll get a body down the road maybe the 2012 Jeep since the roof comes off. As for color I’m thinking a nice gray or gunmetal
mikemollic is offline   Reply With Quote

Best way to take paint off lexan - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint for Lexan? CREEPERBOB Paint and Body 11 09-26-2012 07:44 PM
Lexan Shell Paint Disaster, Paint Removal? Big Tex Paint and Body 15 02-08-2012 12:58 AM
lexan paint crawler nub Paint and Body 6 03-05-2011 09:01 AM
what paint is the best for lexan...??? Kentuckcrawlers Paint and Body 10 02-13-2011 12:32 AM