Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Has anyone used decals on the inside for a paint mask?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Has anyone used decals on the inside for a paint mask?

I don't want to put the stripe decals on my '76 F150 body because they are offwhite and decals. I want to have the stripes painted inside the body in a proper white color.

Has anyone used the decals on the inside of the body as a paint mask? How did that work? Have any tips?

My concern is that they will stick too well and/or leave residue behind when I remove them. Since the stripes are going to be white, they will be painted first and the rest of the body will be masked off, then the decals removed to expose the stripe for painting. My biggest concern is residue since it will be difficult to remove it.

I thought about tracing the decal onto the outside, but I want really straight lines...
BoilermakerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Has anyone used decals on the inside for a paint mask?

You could use painters tape if you’re just doing stripes. Should be fairly easy to keep a straight line and there won’t be any residue left when you pull the tape. I use blue tape when I need to mask areas off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Oh, these stripes are more complicated... I have painters tape and the Pactra striping tapes. These stripes are like the Redcat Scout stripes. Lots of little lines and stripes within stripes.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to layout and paint the stripes in all paint without having to spend hours and hours on it.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
Oh, these stripes are more complicated... I have painters tape and the Pactra striping tapes. These stripes are like the Redcat Scout stripes. Lots of little lines and stripes within stripes.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to layout and paint the stripes in all paint without having to spend hours and hours on it.

Liquid mask is the only other option that I know of. There may be vinyls out there that won’t leave residue similar to the window mask material but I wouldn’t know where to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Jason. At least the stripes get painted first in this case.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Also, you can sketch your graphics out, then trace it to a sheet of mask, then apply the mask to the interior. It all gets tricky on contours.
Your pattern will be backwards when laying underneath so lay it out on your masking accordingly.
I have combined liquid mask and masking sheet. You will have to score your mask (I use an exacto) when doing in layers for clean lines. Its different every time.
Masking sheet will probably release better than decals.
I keep it simple and do 'hood scoops' or 'roof lines'.

Graphic sheet is available too... https://www.amazon.com/TRC8562-Graph.../dp/B07WMRKN77
Attached Images

Last edited by Maxxamillion; 01-20-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Maxxamillion! I didn't think about buying a full sheet of masking and tracing the design over to it. I wonder what would happen if i ran it through my laser printer...

Do you guys know if unopened liquid mask goes "bad"? I have 3 bottles of NOS masking that are probably 12-14 years old. The paint should be fine, but I'm wondering if my masking is ok.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

My old liquid mask turned into an unusable thick paste at probably 5 years old.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxamillion View Post
Also, you can sketch your graphics out, then trace it to a sheet of mask, then apply the mask to the interior. It all gets tricky on contours.
Your pattern will be backwards when laying underneath so lay it out on your masking accordingly.
I have combined liquid mask and masking sheet. You will have to score your mask (I use an exacto) when doing in layers for clean lines. Its different every time.
Masking sheet will probably release better than decals.
I keep it simple and do 'hood scoops' or 'roof lines'.

Graphic sheet is available too... https://www.amazon.com/TRC8562-Graph.../dp/B07WMRKN77
That's a great idea!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hey thats awesome! I've never seen those masking sheets before. These should be very useful. I see Tamiya makes some https://www.amazon.com/Masking-Stick...629010&sr=8-12
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

These are all great suggestions here. Some I need to try myself.

To answer your question, I have used decals as a mask on the inside of a body before, although not as intricate as it sounds like you have. I did it on this bronco body with the traxxas decals. Had to reverse which sides they went on and be extra careful when applying since you can’t really pick it up and put it down without stretching it but it did work out.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks topher. I knew I would have to reverse sides on the inside, but glad to hear it did work. My '76 F150 body has simple side stripes like the Bronco. It's the Scout scale stripes that get complicated with the little hash lines in them.

I love that blue. My son picked out the same or similar PS52 for his VW Beetle.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
Thanks topher. I knew I would have to reverse sides on the inside, but glad to hear it did work. My '76 F150 body has simple side stripes like the Bronco. It's the Scout scale stripes that get complicated with the little hash lines in them.

I love that blue. My son picked out the same or similar PS52 for his VW Beetle.
It’s one of my favorite colors! Would look great on a beetle.

Hope you keep us updated on how the body turns out
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I've used the Pactra pin striping to mask door lines and it didn't work out so well. It left residue and it stretched when it was removed, so it didn't peel clean.

If it were me, I'd mask for the stripes and paint them on first, back with silver and then apply the rest of your over all color.

Tamiya makes masking tapes that can be used on curves.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VTDYTR2...SSBR32UQ&psc=1
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Willys.

I'm going to be painting two bodies, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I think for the F150 body I will keep it simple. I wanted to do the side stripe with the rounded corners and shadow stripe, but I think I will just paint the simple, straight line stripe instead.

The PL Ambush will get the more complicated stripes when i paint it later.

These are the stripes I'm wanting to do on the Ambush body:

But in black:

I realize it won't be flat like the pic above if I paint it on the inside, and I'm ok with that.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I did grab the purple to go with the blue for my typical purple to blue fade that will the body colors for the Ambush...

Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

That's gonna look good. I'd use the masking pin stripe tape and a new exacto blade to mask them off.

Doing those Rally stripes will be tricky, but the finished outcome will be sweet. The black won't need a backer either.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Willys. I picked up some pin stripe masking tape yesterday while I was in St. Louis on business.

I'll probably spray the black as a pearl or metallic first so it will still need to be backed when I back the body, but no big deal.

I'm more excited about spraying my F150 body though. I picked up the second color for it yesterday too. Hopefully the weather cooperates and warms up this weekend so I can get it done this weekend.

A funny side story is that my son was chapped I bought his blue as a rattle can. He wanted to spray it with the airbrush. Then he asked me when i was going to build the spray booth. You tell your kid one time a couple years back you want to build a spray booth in your garage and he never forgets... but his homework? Different story. I've been sitting on a Dayton squirrel cage 450cfm blower for about 25 years now. Original plan was to build a booth big enough for motorcycle frames in the garage. Now I'm probably going to get a smaller blower to build an 18"x24"x36" down draft mini-booth for the basement and only spray water-based paints through it.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #19
IPT
Quarry Creeper

As noted when you mask on the inside you need to reverse the deals. To de-tack the stickers just apply and peel off on your skin or a shirt a few times. This will get iold, or lint and make the tack less strong. There are tons of cuttable mask. Apparently FBS Gold mask is very thin and easy to work with. Can run through a plotter too i you want intricate.

For the flat look you could use Createx paint. Either one of the Matt clears, or the Autoborne sealer. You do have to apply it to the outside though. They are actually pretty tough, but if it gets scratched its not a big deal. Just remask quick and apply another light coat and your good to go (if you have an airbrush).
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I just used a sticker sheet (from the body) and pulled off the outlines of the pieces I needed, stuck them to the blank masking sheets to use as templates to cut my own masking stickers. It worked out great and I still have the original stickers if I need those for anything.
I used the blank masking sheets Tamiya sells, they have a graph paper grid on them too if you need to come up with your own templates.

HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Has anyone used decals on the inside for a paint mask? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint mask or easy way to paint houndstooth...ideas? nascarkeith Paint and Body 3 01-10-2012 01:57 PM
paint mask question brianw Paint and Body 1 05-31-2011 07:07 PM
liquid paint mask........... bob1961 Paint and Body 9 06-24-2009 10:38 PM
Paint mask issues Hotrodblder Paint and Body 12 05-08-2009 11:06 PM