Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Lexan body with automotive paint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Lexan body with automotive paint?

The Mrs. and I just recently got a 2020 Wrangler Sahara in Bikini Pearl. I'm wanting to an new Axial JLU body color matched to our full scale. I have read that you can shoot the inside of the body with matte or flat clear, then use the Jeep touch up aerosol to get the actual color you want.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work out for you?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2020, 06:07 AM   #2

Default Re: Lexan body with automotive paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
The Mrs. and I just recently got a 2020 Wrangler Sahara in Bikini Pearl. I'm wanting to an new Axial JLU body color matched to our full scale. I have read that you can shoot the inside of the body with matte or flat clear, then use the Jeep touch up aerosol to get the actual color you want.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work out for you?

Lou
From an adhesion standpoint, that should work. The clear will stick to the lexan, and the paint will stick to the clear. Just be careful not to mix paint types. If you spray lacquer over enamel, it can cause a reaction and ruin the paint job. I don't think that any of the lexan paints are enamel though, so I don't think that should be a problem. The problem is that the jeep aerosol paint likely doesn't have the flexibility necessary to prevent it from cracking and peeling off. I'd give it a try on a piece of scrap lexan, and see how brittle it is after a couple weeks of dry time.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 08-27-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Lexan body with automotive paint?

I would recommend “Adherto” sold thru HOK(House of Kolor) that’s what the real painters use for plastic. You can then shoot any lacquer or Urethane. This is a flexibility agent.

https://www.houseofkolor.com/opencms...cal-manual.pdf

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

If you can find the interior paint for the color you want I’ve heard that works well. The paint that’s designed to go on the vinyl and doors inside since it will flex.

Likely going to give that a shot myself when the trail runner gets here.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Not a Jeep, but painted with the exact same paint as the real Jeep. Same color you are looking for too. No special prep and it is holding up just fine.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Bro!! That is bad ass!! No prep at all? Just painted it like normal? Where did you source the paint?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I've used Duplicolor automotive rattle cans many times and have had no trouble, I just go over the inside of the body with a scotch brite pad after the windows are masked til it looks foggy, clean with soapy water let dry and paint.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I've used Duplicolor automotive rattle cans many times and have had no trouble, I just go over the inside of the body with a scotch brite pad after the windows are masked til it looks foggy, clean with soapy water let dry and paint.
That's good to know! Those automotive rattle cans must use a flex agent in them, which makes sense considering some of the touch-ups it's intended for may be to urethane bumper covers.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
That's good to know! Those automotive rattle cans must use a flex agent in them, which makes sense considering some of the touch-ups it's intended for may be to urethane bumper covers.
I'm thinking it does have a flex agent in it, thinking back I painted a set of fender flares back in the 90s with some of the same paint I'm still using and it held up well on the plastic flares really well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:37 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Bro!! That is bad ass!! No prep at all? Just painted it like normal? Where did you source the paint?

Lou
Just washing the body with soap and water. The guy that paints all my bodies for me used to be an automotive painter in a collision center. So wherever he sourced it I'm not sure. The factory paint is made by PPG and he contacted them asking about use on lexan and they said they have had good results on it. It was sprayed right out of his auto motive gun on the body.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexan body with automotive paint? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting a body with automotive paint Neil2704 Paint and Body 16 10-13-2018 05:05 PM
Automotive paint and lexan bodies? skyjockey Paint and Body 14 04-03-2018 05:16 AM
Best automotive paint for New Bright Body? Kenworth Paint and Body 6 01-04-2016 06:47 PM
Automotive paint on Lexan? JeremyH Paint and Body 28 07-01-2008 10:02 AM
Automotive Touch-Up Paint BJoe Paint and Body 4 06-06-2007 09:50 PM