Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting lexan on the outside..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
tjb
Rock Crawler

Default Painting lexan on the outside..

I've seen in the past, a few threads on here about painting the underside rust or silver and then shooting the colors on the outside then over coating with future floor wax. I have model for about 30 years, and have done lexan on the outside on some slot cars and stuff. But how durable is the future topcoat? I know it has been used to cheat on spit shining combat boots but flakes bad. Does it do it on the leaxan bodies??? I know there was a yellow wrangler done not too long ago on here, I though it was r2j that did it, but I can't find the thread on it.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

when i painted mine with that meathod, minus the floor wax, i had planned that the paint will be damaged eventually, so that the "bare metal" look would show through I hear topflight clearcoat works well too, and its flexable sorta. its designed for painting plastic and fiberglass cowls and wheel pants
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Official Scale Nazi

Just make sure to use LACQUER instead of ENAMEL. The lacquer doesn't flake off. It does scratch off though.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Heres Run2Jeepn's body build up with the rust paint on the inside, yellow on the outside.

Working on a Scale YJ
EastCoastCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I put about 3 coats of Future on mine. I think I put to much b/c it doesn't scratch real easy. It's really tuff stuff. I tried scratching it with a rock by hand and it hardly even did anything. But maybe once I really start to bash it and run it hard it will show.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

After screwing up the masking on my last HPI Bronco, I ended up spraying the black hood, roof and wheelwells on the outside. I used Tamiya Metallic black, but it ended up looking almost flat black.
I've beaten the crap out of this body for 3 months, and it's just got a few scratches on the corners. It still looks surprisingly half-decent despite all the abuse...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote