Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > RC Rock Crawling Worlds > Past Events

Notices

Thread: Air travel tips for bringing so much shit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Try to Bend it

Default Re: Air travel tips for bringing so much shit?

Lipos must go in your carry on luggage, Last year I had 13 packs with me. You do get some funny looks but if you are open and honest about their purpose then all will be well.

Tools, rigs, tyres and the like all go into a timber travel case, I have flown with my gear 5 times now and not had too much of an issue.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

From TSA website.

Safe Travel

There are additional rules just for larger lithium ion and lithium metal batteries. What are "Larger" lithium ion batteries? What are "Larger" lithium metal batteries?
Battery with a sign crossing it out Lithium metal batteries are non-rechargeable batteries you discard once they are depleted. Larger lithium metal batteries contain over 2 grams of lithium, and are forbidden.
single batteryMost consumer lithium metal batteries such as AA, AAA, and CR-123A sizes, do not fall into the "Larger" category. Just follow the Basic rules.
Lithium ion batteries are the rechargeable batteries used in computers, cell phones, and other devices. "Larger" lithium ion batteries are rated between 100 and 300 watt-hours (8-25 g equivalent lithium content, or ELC.) Examples of these larger lithium ion batteries are pictured in the box below.
If you are not sure whether your battery is a larger lithium ion battery, contact the battery's manufacturer, or call the PHMSA Hazardous Materials Info-Center at 1-800-467-4922.
Examples of larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 but not more than 25 grams of equivalent lithium content (ELC):*
video camera battery 160 watt-hour lithium ion battery for professional audio/visual equipment Laptop and battery 130 watt-hour"universal" lithium ion battery
* Equivalent Lithium Content (ELC) of 8 grams is about 100 watt-hours. ELC of 25 grams is about 300 watt-hours.
You are allowed one larger lithium ion battery installed in a device, plus up to 2 spare larger lithium ion batteries. These are in addition to any smaller lithium ion batteries. For smaller lithium ion batteries, just follow the Basic rules.
Lithium ion batteries rated over 300 watt-hours (25 g ELC) are forbidden.

Whats the watt hour of the batteries we use?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Wh = mAh × V / 1000

So a 500mAh 3s batt (11.1v) = 5.55 Wh
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, as Chicklet pointed out a Watt is voltage times current. Even the largest pack I own (5000mAh 4S), comes nowhere near close to their guidelines......W=5Ax14.8V=74Watts.

So, if you guys are given any crap about this at the security line, don't hesitate to explain this to them.

With that said, I have never had any issues with the batteries. They will wipe test them and see that nothing is wrong. Then you can thank them for cleaning your batteries for you.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

What everyone said. Carry on the truck/radio/ and batteries. All the other stuff gets checked in. If your crawler gets lost it's tragic for you. If your clothes get lost its just tragic for everyone else.

Air travel tips for bringing so much shit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any tips and tricks to get MORE TRAVEL out of a SCX10 TR? yellowpasta2000 Axial SCX-10 2 11-19-2009 11:55 AM
Air Travel With Crawlers Or Any R/c ? rcjunky3 Chit Chat 6 01-01-2009 01:03 AM