Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > RC Rock Crawling Worlds > Past Events

Notices

Thread: Air travel tips for bringing so much shit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Air travel tips for bringing so much shit?

This will be my first time having to fly for a comp. I know lots of you guys do it all the time. Post up your tips for flying with several rigs, lipos, etc.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Air travel tips for bringing so much shit?

I always fly Southwest. Two free check bags up to 50lbs each. Done.

And search, newb! This question frequency is right up there with BEC threads!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I always fly Southwest. Two free check bags up to 50lbs each. Done.

And search, newb! This question frequency is right up there with BEC threads!
This nats section has been dead, I chose to start a new thread to spice things up.

I have been told by several people to carry on my rigs because TSA will Shelby them.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

When we went to west coast Shootout, we packed the rigs and radios with lipos in the carry on bags and the rest: tools, parts, ect went in the Checked bags.

You might have to remove wheels and other parts to make everything fit. But overall the flight and TSA was good. I printed the comp flyer to show the TSA just in case they asked questions.

Rob
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep. I carry on my rigs, 4pks, charger and batteries. The essentials incase my checked bags get lost or damaged.

When you go through security have the wheels/tire off (if not checked), batteries in a separate bag ( i taped the connectors with electrical tape), radio out, charger out etc. I used like 10 bins when I went through the line. Batteries in one bin, each rig in a bin, tires in a bin, radio in a bin, charger in a bin, etc.

you will need to dumb it down for the TSA folks. Ie, "these are radio controlled trucks and I am flying to a competition".

Like Rob said. I get the tools and other stuff in the checked bags. Usually I find a cardboard box to put the stuff in and then put that in the bag.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
This will be my first time having to fly for a comp. I know lots of you guys do it all the time. Post up your tips for flying with several rigs, lipos, etc.

Thanks,
So how much junk are you taking?

I have 5 rigs, 2 radios and all the lipos, charger, tools, etc. 'Oh and Michelle

Rob
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
So how much junk are you taking?

I have 5 rigs, 2 radios and all the lipos, charger, tools, etc. 'Oh and Michelle

Rob
Up to 4 rigs one possibly being a super, and all the shit that goes along with them.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Keep in mind that if you cant fit everything in the allowed baggage...TCS offered up their shop as a ship to location. JeremyH (the prick) shipped me his Wraith for the WCS & then shipped it home afterwards. Yeah...I defiled it cuz...well Jeremy's a prick but Im sure TCS will take fine care of yer gear

J.D.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

As you go through security, when you get to the guy that checks your ID with a black light, make sure you ask him:

"So, when do we get to the finger in the ass check??"
Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
As you go through security, when you get to the guy that checks your ID with a black light, make sure you ask him:

"So, when do we get to the finger in the ass check??"

Rob
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Some TSA will not allow lipos through carryons. Whatever you do, don't put lipos in any type of bag or pouch that says dangerous or what. I took all the warning shit off my lipo sack.

I packed my shafty before, some people carry on the cars. I carried on my radio and sensitive equipment.....don't try to bring tools on, or fluids (they often take all the fluids in checked too).

Later EddieO
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Location: Between the thoughts of yesterday and the ideas of tomorrow

Don't know your budget, but if your really worried. Ship it out here and have someone trek it up for you.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I remember 4xFord packing all 3, 1.9, 2.2, and super class cars into a carry on. BigBaller packs a fleet of scalers with chargers, tools, etc. into a 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet Pelican box. There are multiple ways of making everything compact like disconecting the shocks from the chassis, removing tires and stuff like that.

Some of us that are driving there, will be bringing soldering stations, dremels, cordless drill maybe even, so you may not have to worry about that. Airlines do have a tool size limit that you should look into.

If you check a bag, I would recommend you put the lipos in it, with electrical tape on the connectors, and the lipo sack sheltered in the center, you know your bag will be thrown around a few times

You also migh want to remove the batteries out of the radios, whan I was leaving Denver after Rocas Rojos comp, the guy scanning bags pulled mine aside, another person opened it, they where asking me hat all this stuff was, and what it did, then somehow the light on my radio was on, at that point everyone freaked out, they pulled me aside at gun point, went through all my shit, looking for gun powder, and questioning why batteries (lipos) looked like little explosives. In the end they found nothing, confiscated lipos, and the line was held up for an hour and a half, hundreds of pissed off people in line that afternoon, Oops!

It was a waste of time, and a lesson learned, and kinda funny how unknown items can set off the airport security! I am no expert on the matter, but just thought I share!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks,
Put it in your "prison purse"
Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:

Thanks,
Your best bet is to put it all in a couple boxes, and ship them to krawlhomo and I will bring them to you. Make sure you pre pay for a shipping label back and I will send them back. If not I will keep all your stuff and sell it on Ebay.

Shipping carries some risk, but no more than putting it in a suitcase for the TSA to cherry pick the good stuff out of your suitcase.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Bringing 1.9, Shafty, Pro and Super with my carrier bag from Finland. First London, then Vegas. Should be intresting...
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
If not I will keep all your stuff and sell it on Ebay.
Rowdy, it might be cheaper to just let him keep it and buy it back on eBay...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

As far as batteries... if I am reading right, the TSA says you cannot check them on but you can carry them on and it looks as though you can only take 2 spares?

Safe Travel

I have always carried my batteries on. I get stopped at the security everytime but they let me on since my car is in my bag to so its an easy explanation. Funny, you could probably do some serious damage with 10 Lipos but dont be bringin some toothpaste on!

Southwest policy:

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ggage-pol.html
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
RcBros Hobbies

All my cars in a small carry one and clothes in a back pack. Tools ok just not longer then a 6" past handle.

Make it easy to unpack and easy to repack. Be nice, explained what it is if there confused and fly on.

It's surprisingly how easy it is really. Bring the items that are must haves not luxuries. I usually forget something but luckily the locals are nice or willing to accept money lol
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I pack my scalers (3) in an Action Packer (with cut foam around the rigs) with TSA locks and check it with all the wheels/tires/tools. I've had good luck with Southwest. I brought (6) 1800-2200mah batteries in my carry on along with my transmitter and a few other things. They'll probably test for bomb residue but just be cool, chat them up and TAPE THE BATTERY CONNECTORS. I'm headed over to Pennsylvania the end of the month, hopefully I have as easy a time traveling as I had last year.

Air travel tips for bringing so much shit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any tips and tricks to get MORE TRAVEL out of a SCX10 TR? yellowpasta2000 Axial SCX-10 2 11-19-2009 11:55 AM
Air Travel With Crawlers Or Any R/c ? rcjunky3 Chit Chat 6 01-01-2009 01:03 AM