Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Hpi wr8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #261

Default Re: Hpi wr8

<<<<[QUOTE=TURTLE;3857072]Its not about being a fan boy. It is about having respect for someone that has created an American rally scene. Pastrana, Deegan, Lasek and whoever else in America would not be driving rally cars if it was not for Blocks push to the American main stream. >>>>

Let me apologize up front for the post length and the rant on rallying. Cheers if you make it through it.

The above statement is a little off. Travis was in the rally game long before Block got there. Travis actually introduced Block to Rally racing in the US in the Rally America series (formerly the SCCA PRO Rally Series). Travis Started Rally racing via Vermont Sports Car backed by Subaru USA as a trial basis to see if he could bring a fan base to rallying in the US. Just for info: The sport of rally racing dates way back to early 70's in the US. It was just way underground and way in the woods for too many people to really know about it.

Google John Buffum or Tim O'neal to see how far back goes in the US. BTW Tim O'neal won a national championship in a VW. Pretty kick ass since he was running against tier one 4wd teams.

Anyone can hate Ken Block. Chances are they do not actually know him. Their choice either way. I spent 10 years rally racing in the US. Started off in VW's and finished in a Vermont Sports Car Prepped GpN WRX STI. Won 1 ClubRally National title in the process. If anyone thinks Ken Block can't drive, they are clueless to the skill it takes to run a car down a rally stage. True, he self promotes to no end, but it is far better to drive on someone else's dime then your own. A definite plus when you are talking about a car that cost over 275K before it even gets tweaked and tuned.

He is great at what he does both in the car and out of it. Haters can hate but you have to give him credit for what he has accomplished. Plus he can flat out drive better than me and most likely better than you.

On a RC note: I did just get the WR8 Flux and had one issue right-off the bat. The speed controller had a loose female bullet connector. It popped off the circuit board. A little solder and it was good to go. Car is fun on 2 cells but awesome on 3. It needs some fine tuning with a different weight oil in the shocks to get it just right. Should be a great rally car when the proper tires come out.
sti821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #262
Quarry Creeper

I never said block sucked at driving. I said he is a douchebag.

Nobody argues that statement.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Fattie View Post
I never said block sucked at driving. I said he is a douchebag.

Nobody argues that statement.

Experiences vary I guess.
sti821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #264
Gettin’ back on the horse

New-ish video
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Finally....HPI Press release from yesterday - wheels and tires released for the nitro version. Posted here since this seems to be the defacto WR8 thread.

HPI Racing | Press release for #107881 - WR8 RALLY OFF-ROAD WHEEL 48x33mm (WHITE/2pcs)
HPI Racing | Press release for #107870 - WR8 RALLY OFF ROAD TIRE (2pcs)

The Flux uses 2.2's.... why they are different, I have no idea. PN is 108075 for the white flux wheels and 107972 for the black. Have yet to hit our shores though, only available in europe at the moment.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #266

Thats good news, but IMO months behind schedule. I'm sure there are a lot of WR8s sitting on shelves waiting for tires. I honestly think something is wrong with HPI as a company, this doesn't seem to be there style.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #267
I wanna be Dave

Too much going on.... Looks like they are phasing out the MT/RS4 platform and bringing in the Bullet instead....been working on it over in Europe and now transitioning over here.

Wonder if their product line is spreading a bit too wide. Axial and Traxxas focus on only a few platforms with a few variations...makes part sourcing much easier. Having a ton of different platforms makes for a lot of headaches.

The Block Flux is apparently going to be months behind schedule as well. Definitely something happening behind the scenes.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #268
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Too much going on.... Looks like they are phasing out the MT/RS4 platform and bringing in the Bullet instead....been working on it over in Europe and now transitioning over here.

Wonder if their product line is spreading a bit too wide. Axial and Traxxas focus on only a few platforms with a few variations...makes part sourcing much easier. Having a ton of different platforms makes for a lot of headaches.

The Block Flux is apparently going to be months behind schedule as well. Definitely something happening behind the scenes.
I've had my Block Flux on backorder @ Tower for over a month and it keeps pushing "late aug, early sept, mid sept, late sept"... ah well, sometimes the wait is half the fun
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #269
Quarry Creeper

Just got my tracking number for the Block WR8 from Tower...waiting on UPS now

RPP shows them in stock too
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Just got my tracking number for the Block WR8 from Tower...waiting on UPS now

RPP shows them in stock too
RPMJ is getting his tomorrow I believe, should have some action shots in the next couple days.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #271

New body... well new graphic for the WR8 body.

Its cool that HPI is on top of the 2012 Fiesta colors. On top of that I am glad they did it as Solberg's car.

With Ford Factory support out of the WRC I am curious if they will continue with the Ford shells in the coming months.

It is too bad that not a single one of these cars comes with the gravel tires though.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #272
Quarry Creeper

I bet HPI is hating Ford for pulling out of the WRC. Who wants a factory car paint scheme that is no longer racing?
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #273
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
I bet HPI is hating Ford for pulling out of the WRC. Who wants a factory car paint scheme that is no longer racing?
Well I read that M Sport is still planning on making the fiesta rally and the Global Rally Cross will likely continue next year with Tanner Foust driving the Rockstar Ford Fiesta and Marcus Gronholm in the Best Buy Ford Fiesta along with other drivers and manufacturers that HPI could produce bodies of as well. And with Peter Solberg without a ride in the WRC I could see him jumping into the GRC.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

HPI has pretty much phased the RS4 platform out, you're right on that. They did have the super nitro rally too though, and that was based off of the MT chassis with just shorter arms driveshafts and front bumper and body mounts. This was discontinued in the US due to not being a popular RC niche. Now with all the ken blocks and other dudes I guess it's Coming back on the bullet platform
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #275

I hear these will be available in December both the 2014 and 2015 colors. I've been wondering when the 2014 livery would come out and now they announced the 2015. I think rubber sealed bearings may be an update? It seems like the 2013's are running out in online stores.

singletracksean is offline   Reply With Quote