Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Teach me the art of rally :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Teach me the art of rally :D

Been reading and watching and understand most stuff but one that has been baffling me the most is chassis/car. Everyone likes the drx 1/9 and the tf03, and those rally versions, etc.... But why not a slash 4x4? It has the same motor in middle, open diffs, independent front and rear suspension, etc... not bashing or anything just genuinely curious as to what makes those chassis better than a slash 4x4 or some other 4x4 short course chassis.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
Old guy

Default Re: Teach me the art of rally :D

I have been wondering the same thing.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i think the biggest thing would be the cog of the slash 4x4 is higher then all of the true rally cars
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Well I know you could get a slash pretty freakin low with those cog chassis or lower the shocks/shorter shocks. I would assume with more suspension travel that they would handle way better than those rally ones. I just don't know lol
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

There's a conversion out that I believe STRC made for the slash 4x4. Saw it on A-main. But there's not any company that makes bodies that would easy fit other than Proline and I think the 2 bodies they made have been discontinue. I started to do it to my slash but instead sold it for a DF-03ra
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Been reading and watching and understand most stuff but one that has been baffling me the most is chassis/car. Everyone likes the drx 1/9 and the Df03, and those rally versions, etc.... But why not a slash 4x4? It has the same motor in middle, open diffs, independent front and rear suspension, etc... not bashing or anything just genuinely curious as to what makes those chassis better than a slash 4x4 or some other 4x4 short course chassis.
1.) The point of rally is to challenge yourself with a car and not a trophy truck.
2.) There are not a lot of body choices for the slash in car form.
The DRX and WR8 bodies are different sizes then a slash.
3.) The Slash with a car body on it comes out bigger then the DRX, which by measurements is already 7th scale.
4.) The oil filled diffs and 4" shocks of the DRX allow for WAY better handling then a Slash 4x4
5.) The slash is tough, but by most definitions is a pile of junk.
6.) Getting a open center diff, car body, wheels, tires and a lower CG chassis for a slash (buying new) you might as well have bought a DRX, especially since a DRX will still drive better.

I see your question in the same terms. "Why buy Axial when I can buy a Nylint?"

Quote:
Well I know you could get a slash pretty freakin low with those cog chassis or lower the shocks/shorter shocks. I would assume with more suspension travel that they would handle way better than those rally ones. I just don't know lol
If you are comparing a 10th scale touring car to a slash, yeah the slash will do better, its much larger I.E. will handle bumps and jumps more easily. But comparing a slash to a DRX, like I said is comparing Axial to Nylint, the DRX is a far superior car.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I see your question in the same terms. "Why buy Axial when I can buy a Nylint?"
In keeping with the spirit of the title of this thread, it's like comparing the Mona Lisa with Mad Magazine.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The reason I threw out the drx name was because it was the only one I could think of lol but I'm curious as to why it handles better, does the smaller a arms of the 1/10 or larger size make for better handling? That's what I'm trying to figure out because unlike the axial and nylint remark, these use a similar setup and style as the slash and any other independent suspension vehicle. The nylint didn't use a chassis or tvp plates like the axial so it doesn't really help for me to understand the comparison. Like I said its not a bash or saying "hey this is cheaper, it'll do the same" I'm just genuinely curious as to what makes them better all around
Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

I think you missed the point of my comment. The DRX and Slash appeal to different audiences. A true fan of RC Rally would not want to slap a rally car body onto a Slash and call it a day. It's like Ty said:

"1.) The point of rally is to challenge yourself with a car and not a trophy truck."
Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
RCC Addict

But his comments kind of contradicts its self, he said it's a challenge but then he goes off and says that the rally ones handle better? I'm not trying to go the cheap way out or cut through the line but just in a physics and working order, why do they do better than a short course chassis?
I'm a technical/physics kind of guy, I like knowing why something works better over something else. This isn't about money, or simplicity because if that were true I'd have gotten a standard scx10 truck than to do my ifs and solid rear truck lol. I'm just curious as to why it's better not just told it is better.

Ex: it's the same as if someone was to ask you why is a 35t Holmes motor better than a 35t integy motor, of course you would go off and explain that the Holmes is hand wound and the armature is epoxied and balanced. Yet even so they are technically the same, they are indeed different.
that's the basis of my question for the short course and rally vehicles because in all technical sense they are identical, independent front and rear suspension, motor typically somewhere in the middle, chassis is usually a pan/tub style type. But what makes the rally ones better than that of a short course then?

Last edited by demonoid369; 08-12-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #11
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Coincidentally, the DRX is based on the same chassis as the DBX, DST and DRT.
The latter being Kyosho's attempt at a 4WD Short Course truck.

So really, whose to say you can't turn a Slash 4x4 into a rally car and not make it work? They only way to know for sure is to try and then compare it to a DRX.

Last edited by K_B; 08-12-2012 at 02:01 AM.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
But his comments kind of contradicts its self, he said it's a challenge but then he goes off and says that the rally ones handle better?
I think I understand what you're saying now, and it's a good question. I wonder if anyone in the Colorado area would be willing to run their Slash 4X4 against Ty and his DRX. I've seen Ty drive that thing, and it really does perform. I honestly don't think our HPI Mini-Trophy trucks could take it on, but they are a bit smaller.

On a short-course track I think the Slash would have the advantage, but on a rally course, I don't think the Slash would have anything on the DRX.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #13

Yeah the comparison was to the slash 4x4 and DRX, not just any short course truck. The wider track width and larger tires of the Slash would be more advantageous in really rough conditions, but the high center of gravity and lack of a center diff in a slash would get left in the dust compared to a DRX. The DRX also has 6mm stub shafts, 8th scale shocks and a whole lot of beef compared to the Slash. Even these few things that you could say the DRX is at a disadvantage with really are not. The smaller tires and "stiffer suspension allow the DRX to corner at very high speeds, whether it is on tarmac or dirt the DRX slides through the corners where the Slash tumbles and spins out.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
RCC Addict

so putting money aside, if i was to add shorter, stiffer shocks, a center diff, rally tires and wheels, would the slash or any other short course rc be able to compete with a drx or tf03(think thats what its called)? turtle do you have a short course 4x4 to test? like K_B said, the drx platform is the same as the drt which is a short course truck. just like to see if its possible
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
so putting money aside, if i was to add shorter, stiffer shocks, a center diff, rally tires and wheels, would the slash or any other short course rc be able to compete with a drx or tf03(think thats what its called)? turtle do you have a short course 4x4 to test? like K_B said, the drx platform is the same as the drt which is a short course truck. just like to see if its possible
The DRX shocks are the same length as SC shocks they are just tuned for the car. Keep in mind this comparison is for the nearly 7th scale DRX. A 10th scale rally car (such as the DF03RA) it would be no contest, because lets face it there is a big difference between the two.
10th scale rally car next to the DRX

When it comes to 10th scale cars it is all about the challenge of the driving.

The DRT is very similar to the DRX but no identical.

If you changed all of that stuff then it would be the same as the DRX, my point is the DRX comes with all those things. But you also need to think about the size. In some of the other threads people have put DRX bodies on Short course trucks and the SC trucks are much wider. Currently there is not a body "available" that fits the SC platforms. Though there are two you could track down and another one being released soon.

I sold my Slash, SC10 and SC10 4x4. The SC10 4x4 drove well, but again the only area it excelled over the DRX was in clearance and suspension otherwise the DRX was better. I claim the suspension to be better because I had it set up to take bumps and be quick reacting, whereas the DRX is set up for cornering.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I wonder if anyone in the Colorado area would be willing to run their Slash 4X4 against Ty and his DRX.
I would like to see a head to head race my self. There's a vid on here of some one racing a DRX nitro conversion on a indoor short course track. The only thing I saw a Slash doing better is landing the jumps.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
I would like to see a head to head race my self. There's a vid on here of some one racing a DRX nitro conversion on a indoor short course track. The only thing I saw a Slash doing better is landing the jumps.
I think it would really depend on the course. Like I said, I think a SC truck would be better if it was a predominantly jump oriented track, but on a more rally inspired course, I think it would be like Ty says...the DRX would dominate in the cornering sections, and probably not lose much to the Slash if the jumps were smaller.

It would definitely be fun the watch though!!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
The DRX shocks are the same length as SC shocks they are just tuned for the car. Keep in mind this comparison is for the nearly 7th scale DRX. A 10th scale rally car (such as the DF03RA) it would be no contest, because lets face it there is a big difference between the two.
10th scale rally car next to the DRX

When it comes to 10th scale cars it is all about the challenge of the driving.

The DRT is very similar to the DRX but no identical.

If you changed all of that stuff then it would be the same as the DRX, my point is the DRX comes with all those things. But you also need to think about the size. In some of the other threads people have put DRX bodies on Short course trucks and the SC trucks are much wider. Currently there is not a body "available" that fits the SC platforms. Though there are two you could track down and another one being released soon.

I sold my Slash, SC10 and SC10 4x4. The SC10 4x4 drove well, but again the only area it excelled over the DRX was in clearance and suspension otherwise the DRX was better. I claim the suspension to be better because I had it set up to take bumps and be quick reacting, whereas the DRX is set up for cornering.
Awesome, that was the answer I was looking for the most, so they are the same but indeed different. Only reason I asked was most people have a short course truck, and if they have already have certain things like a center diff the only real thing they would need to help rally would be tuning shocks and rally tires. I of course have none of this lol so I'll just buy the rally but it's good to know for others on a budget, that they could take an existing vehicle and use it for the time being till they can save up and get one specifically for rally.

Teach me the art of rally :D - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone teach me how to count coils on shock springs! entropy General Crawlers 2 01-30-2011 10:26 AM
How to teach Gun safety soundcolor Chit Chat 9 08-15-2009 07:15 PM
Teach MEEEE! HeliosCrawler Newbie General 2 11-19-2008 07:38 AM
Trying to teach my old Pede new Tricks BJoe Non Crawler RC's 12 05-09-2008 11:13 PM
teach an old dog knew tricks liquid Chit Chat 7 01-03-2006 09:02 PM