Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: New Tamiya TB-01 - Subaru World Rally Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New Tamiya TB-01 - Subaru World Rally Team

Following Turtle´s advice, I got myself a TB-01 chassis, which will be my main RC Rally Car, leaving my DF-03ra as the basher.

So, the TB-01, well, I guess I was just plain lucky to have found one over local ebay, called "Mercado Livre", new, cheap, without a scratch, but missing a few things, like most of the dirt foams, some screws, some body posts and both internal and external body shells. It also came with a cheap chinese radio system, the FS GT3 which ain´t that bad either and I´m thinking about keeping it, in a matter of fact.

One by one, I started to build it and shop for those "must have" items:
1st, I ordered from ebay the aluminum motor mount, and to take advantage of the shipping reduction, added to the cart the TG10 Stabilizer bars.
Also from ebay, I ordered my first Subaru body shell, the Petter Solberg´s 2007 Monte Carlo Impreza WRC. With these items delivered, painted and ready to be installed it´s time to think electronics.

I tried using my Skylipos batteries but to do so, I would have to put in check, the chassis´ structural integrity, by heavily modding it. Better deal is to get some proper batteries which require less dremmelling.

Not less importart is the ESC/Motor combo. I´m inclined on getting the Castle Creations SV2 4600kv combo, but before placing an order I would like to ask 2 questions:

1- What pinyons should I order that satisfy this motor outputs? I would like to be able to have at least 2 gearing ratio choices: One short with good acceleration and the other focused on high speed.
2- After having them pinyons chosen, do I need new spur gears, or can I just use those which came with the kit?

cheers
phil
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: New Tamiya TB-01 - Subaru World Rally Team

Nice work tracking down a TB-01.

For your gearing questions I use a STEEL 16 tooth metric pitch pinion (don't forget its not a standard 48 pitch, using the wrong pitch will ruin your spur gear). With the 5700kv CC motor on 2 cell it is fast, really fast (at least for our tracks, so that is where I would put your high end gearing.

for low end I would say a 12-13 tooth would be your best bet, but I am not sure if there is enough adjustment in the motor mount to mesh properly. You may be safer with a 14 tooth.

Pinions I know will mesh the sizes are 15-18 everything outside of that realm is on you to check for us.

The stock spur gear will be fine for the time being, but things happen outside of our control and if I was you I would pick up a couple extra ones.

Good luck with the project.

-Ty
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Tamiya TB-01 - Subaru World Rally Team

Thanks bro, I´m gonna try it out!
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote

New Tamiya TB-01 - Subaru World Rally Team - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Associated 18R Subaru Drifter nascarkeith Non Crawler RC's 21 07-02-2010 05:03 PM
Subaru WRX HPI RS4 Rally Mad4Rnr Rally 3 06-26-2010 10:07 PM
World rally 2010 dudeka Chit Chat 11 03-14-2010 10:50 PM
slash subaru rally car conversion body 62 bugzilla Non Crawler RC's 11 01-31-2010 06:13 PM