Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Gdb xv-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gdb xv-01

Got the XV-01 awhile back now and just wanted to share some things.

Running gear at present is a CC Sidewinder w/ 3800kv 4 pole motor, XP 1015 servo, Spektum radio on 2s.
After a couple weeks of running I switched the rear shocks out to a set of Mini LST2 units and I'm a little happier with the way the rear reacts more so now than with the stockers.

I've noticed alot more debris being thrown under the body than I want to accept. I've also been following other threads and noting some ideas and came up with my take on keeping things tidy.

underneath shot:

body off:

The front mud flaps are the thin foam that line the top of a Castle System when ya open the box. Fastened with the bumper screw and velcroed to the stock wheel well. The sides are thick foam strips attached to front & rear wheel wells and chassis using velcro again. They also serve as decent side impact guards. Also took a piece of 1/4" foam cut out a shaped to fit behind front shock tower and between wheel wells.

Took it out for a spin for 10-15 min and the amount of junk under the body was very minimal and I was pretty happy with the mods.

Just a note, and mind you I'm fairly new at this Rally thing but this car is fun to drive it sorta acts bigger than it is if that makes sense. Handles better than the Legend (which is still a work in progress) and closer to the DRX than I may want to admit. Anybody that has one prolly knows what I mean.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Gdb xv-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
Just a note, and mind you I'm fairly new at this Rally thing but this car is fun to drive it sorta acts bigger than it is if that makes sense. Handles better than the Legend (which is still a work in progress) and closer to the DRX than I may want to admit. Anybody that has one prolly knows what I mean.
I totally agree with that. The longer travel suspension helps with that, but so does the tune-ablity and fantastic driving characteristics.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Good thinking. I've got plenty of foam lieing around. Might have to try something like that. Still not sure if the kids will appreciate me ripping their inner tubes out for extended mudflaps though.
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Good thinking. I've got plenty of foam lieing around. Might have to try something like that. Still not sure if the kids will appreciate me ripping their inner tubes out for extended mudflaps though.
Most stores have bike tubes for a couple dollars, one 20" tube would be enough to do 10 rigs.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Alright, had this thing out today for it's first "extended" run with a couple buddies. This thing is smooooth man, I really like it alot........but I was having issues with it shutting down on me.

I have Sidewinder V1 with a CC 3800 4 pole motor running on 2s. I would get maybe 10-12 min. of hard running and I guess the ESC would thermal out and shut down for awhile.

My question is (TY or anyone who runs these for extended times) do you run with the ESC covered (I did) or do you open above the ESC or open above and use a fan??
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

Did you notice a lot of heat coming off the motor or esc? Was your battery getting hot too?

What servo are you using? Are you using the servo saver?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Did you notice a lot of heat coming off the motor or esc? Was your battery getting hot too?

What servo are you using? Are you using the servo saver?

Battery was fine,... motor was hardly warm,... using the servo saver w/low profile Savox. (no bec, didn't think it was necessary, maybe it is?)

The top of the plastic cover over the ESC was pretty warm to touch and it is an older V1 that I never had issues with until today.

Do you run yours with the ESC covered?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

After my first run, of only a few minutes the ESC/RX section was pretty much covered in dust even with the covers on. Since then I have run with the covers off, solely to allow the extra cooling in and haven't had a problem. I'll only put them back on if I plan to hit the mud!

Edit - your brilliant foam covers you've built are probably also restricting airflow (if heat is your problem).
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Battery was fine,... motor was hardly warm,... using the servo saver w/low profile Savox. (no bec, didn't think it was necessary, maybe it is?)

The top of the plastic cover over the ESC was pretty warm to touch and it is an older V1 that I never had issues with until today.

Do you run yours with the ESC covered?
Yes I do run the cover. I am almost betting you need a BEC, sidewinder escs are pretty notorious for having a poor internal bec and on top of that Savoxs are very power hungry. I would pull the cover off first, but I bet a bec will be your saving grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
After my first run, of only a few minutes the ESC/RX section was pretty much covered in dust even with the covers on. Since then I have run with the covers off, solely to allow the extra cooling in and haven't had a problem. I'll only put them back on if I plan to hit the mud!

Edit - your brilliant foam covers you've built are probably also restricting airflow (if heat is your problem).
Yeah its going to restrict air flow quit a bit, dust, to me is not an issue, it gets everywhere no matter what you do, even my cars with full underbodies still get a little dusty.

The only reason I run covers is to keep mud, water, rocks, gravel, etc. out of the drivetrain and electronics.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the tips fellas.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
waw
Quarry Creeper

another great thread of XV-01 modified...
love those "extra protection" you've got there

well, my (currently) stock XV-01 looked like this..

Last edited by waw; 10-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Does the Subaru body come with that spoiler or do you need to source it from somewhere else? Great looking car!
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualdigger View Post
Does the Subaru body come with that spoiler or do you need to source it from somewhere else? Great looking car!
Comes with it. Box art doesn't use it, but it's there
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well I got home a tad early today and wanted to mess with the car a little.
It is unseasonably warm the last few days...75, so it would be a good test.

I took the plastic topper of the ESC portion and ran it hard for about 10-12 min and sure enough it shut down again! So down to the bench and I soldered on a bec @ 6v.
Took it back outside and ran it hard again for over 15 min. and everything is fine. Didn't think I needed one but never had a Savox servo before.

Thanks for the advice Turtle!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
another great thread of XV-01 modified...
love those "extra protection" you've got there

well, my (currently) stock XV-01 looked like this..
Love the splatter paint.

Quote:
Well I got home a tad early today and wanted to mess with the car a little.
It is unseasonably warm the last few days...75, so it would be a good test.

I took the plastic topper of the ESC portion and ran it hard for about 10-12 min and sure enough it shut down again! So down to the bench and I soldered on a bec @ 6v.
Took it back outside and ran it hard again for over 15 min. and everything is fine. Didn't think I needed one but never had a Savox servo before.

Thanks for the advice Turtle!
No worries buddy, I have had the same issues before. It really just seems to be a Savox thing. I have talked to a few hell guys and they had the same issues with the servos, they work great just need a lot of juice.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Love the splatter paint.
I got my inspiration from your paint job sir.... in the mean time I just bash around the neighboorhod, having fun
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #17

Well it looks great. I hope you get a build thread for it up so we can see what you come up with.

Gdb xv-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GDB Rally Legend gdb85 Rally 7 11-12-2012 02:23 PM