Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: TA02 Winter Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TA02 Winter Rally

Picked up three TA02 rollers. Here's the first.

Pretty stock.
Rear Ball Dif.
All steel dog bones for now.
Fresh Mobil Synthetic grease packed in everywhere
LRP Super Reverse (PCB is conformalcoated [waterproof])
RIP 17 or 19t motor
Fresh 2650mah 2s Turnigy Lipos
Basic Futaba servo that has some synthetic grease around the main shaft bearing and has been plasti-dipped.
F150 TA02 shocks
Tamiya Rally Blocks

sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TA02 Winter Rally

Wow does the tub chassis fill with debris

Started looking into VAC forming a dust cover. Maybe in the future.

For now, I fashioned these fenders and dust cover.

Fenders are the corners from a PolyE tote. Cross bars are white nylon (can flex in a side hit) Medium tight slip fit over the body posts.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Dust cover is flexible vinyl from a local fabric store.
$7 for a 36x48" pc.
Cut to fit the chassis.
1/2" velcro around the tub edges.
Velcro did not stick as well to the woven fabric back on the vinyl, so I added a lite coat of CA before applying the velcro.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Very cool I have 2 TAO1's I might have to do something with them
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a fun ride.

I have one of these I'm trying to resurrect. It was an old 1/12 Hummer originally.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the aluminum motor mounting plates are a good upgrade. I feel that the flex in this part contributes to spur gear failure, of which replacing requires purchasing all the gears AFAIK. I have lots of spare trans gears because of this.

I'd also like to gear lower than the stock 16 tooth pinion to compensate for the larger 1.9 flatirons, which the stock motor plate doesn't allow.

My dogbones are missing. I remember snapping the pins off of a couple years ago when I thoroughly bashed this chassis. Going by the number in the owners manual, all the replacements I'm finding are overseas. I'm wondering if there is either hardened stronger bones, or stronger universals that would allow for more steering angle/suspension droop.

I'm also missing the shocks and shock towers. According to the manual the stock shocks are 55mm long. Can anyone confirm or deny this before I order replacements? Is there anyway to get replacement shock towers without buying the entire trans cases? I've seen the aluminum replacements on Ebay, but for the money I'd expect extra mounting holes and such. Is there a genuine Tamiya upgraded shock tower?

Is there an easy way to do away with the chinzy centerlink rod? Mine has egged out the holes in the bellcranks pretty good. The aluminum replacements on Ebay look like they still use the tiny rod for the centerlink. I'd really like an adjustable tie rod there, but the stock parts don't look like they have enough meat to drill the holes out for 3mm bolts.

Anyone got a clue if the HPI Toyota mini trophy body would fit alright on the TA02 chassis?

Do you have any better pics of the front bumper on yours? It looks much different than the Hummer bumper, like it allows a better approach angle.

The TA02 sure does hold onto debri. Mine got the blow gun almost every pack.

How well do your Lipos fit in to the chassis originally designed for stick packs?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Uber questions, some I figured out, a lot I still need answered.

The motor mounts are worth it. Right now the rig I pictured above has a cracked plastic mount in it.
Another rig I am getting running has a knock off alum mount that works well.
I was considering cutting a typical 540 sized alum motor plate off to fit the diameter of these motor mounts. Then pull the two pc. alum posts from the knock off alum motor mounts and installing them on the plate I fab up. This would give you more adjustability. But to access the motor screws, you would need to cut a pretty big hole in the plastic housing opposite the motor.

I have all steel dogbones in this rig. I ordered some HPI ones I thought were the right length, but the guy measured them pin to pin not end to end, so they are 4mm too long. My second rig has universals it in from 15yrs ago.

Both of my rigs have 65mm shocks eye to eye. Which gives good ground clearance and still bottoms the chassis out at full compression. 55mm would be fine with a longer rod end to give you clearance. But would not compress as much.

Have not messed with the center shafts yet.

I am running 2650mah batts from Hobby King that fit with 8mm above and below them. Prob could go up to a 3500 if sized right. Or you could remove the gussets in the tray to run up to a 5000 square cornered pack.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
waw
Quarry Creeper

love the modification you did with the flexible vinyl, keeps the dirt away from the inside chassis...

but does it get too hot for the motor + esc while operating under the vinyl?
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
love the modification you did with the flexible vinyl, keeps the dirt away from the inside chassis...

but does it get too hot for the motor + esc while operating under the vinyl?
Thanks!

I thought about the heat too. I ran hard for 5, 10 and 20min. ESC is barely warm on 2s.
Motor is not covered. A fold of the vinyl as it goes over the rear shock tower, is loosely up and over the motor. Fender keeps most debris out.

Last edited by sweli; 12-26-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I always fit an alloy motot mount, and a steel pinion. if you've got a TA01, get the TA02 gearset and replace the alloy idler gear above the rear diff.
If you want to gear lower, try a 35t motor with the 18t pinion and then work from there.

Last edited by Tonysmini; 12-26-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

If you are gearing lower and locking any difs up, you will want to make sure the gearbox covers are held securely down. If they budge at all, you will strip gears.
Somewhere there is a mod to add a fourth screw.
You can through drill the holes and use long M3 or 4/40 screws and nuts to make sure they stay down.
Some reinforce the cover with cross bars.

A good thread to read here:
Problems With Ta01 Gear Box Off Road - Vintage discussions - Tamiyaclub.com Forums

Last edited by sweli; 12-26-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Thanks!

I thought about the heat too. I ran hard for 5, 10 and 20min. ESC is barely warm on 2s.
Motor is not covered. A fold of the vinyl as it goes over the rear shock tower, is loosely up and over the motor. Fender keeps most debris out.

awesome man...
waw is offline   Reply With Quote

TA02 Winter Rally - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rallypro Amsterdam Rallysprint Rally 2010 rally video EeePee Chit Chat 63 05-16-2014 08:23 AM
Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally subspd Rally 21 11-14-2012 01:05 PM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM
Greek Acropolis Rally (WRC Rally) FJONES007 Outside the US 1 07-16-2009 06:24 AM
Ta02 Wb AIPOHAKU General Crawlers 2 03-11-2007 12:05 AM