Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Rally Car??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas Rally Car??

Hi guys long time 1:1 Rally fan, just a few questions about the Traxxas car. I have followed this thread off and on for quite some time and learned abit about the different cars offered. The Traxxas does not seem to be very popular , at least on this thread. So my local RC club (on-road) has started a Spec. Rally class with the Traxxas car being the one, you must use to compete. The races are held at the monthly races on pavement with a few wooden jumps set around the track to mix things up, at hte last race there was maybe 6-7 guys running the class. You have to run the car as it comes out of the box, except you can change the receiver and transmitter, shock oil, and tires. (Well I think you can change the tires). This sounds like a fun class to get involved with and maybe get some of the racers to try out the cars on dirt, so anyway I guess my question is what are some of the things good and bad about this platform to know about. The local shop supports this class and the brand with spare parts and that is a plus I my opinion. Iam not new to RC racing ( I have raced RC cars since 1976, yeah Iam old) just trying to find out some info before shelling out 400+ for something that might not work that well. Thanks for any info.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas Rally Car??

One of the biggest issues is that rally cars are the scalers of racing and the traxxas isn't very scale.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply nigel, I did notice that they looked a bit large. And going through specs. for the HPI car and the Traxxas car it is bigger in all the specs. The ones I have seen on the web and at the one race I went to did not look all that scale and the body overall isnt that good looking. I wonder if there is another Rally body that would even fit a Traxxas platform? Iam thinking the wheel hubs are 12MM so maybe a rim/tire switch would help somewhat to reduce the overall height? Just kind of thinking outloud to see what I could do for a more scale look, as this is a Spec class and the Traxxas is the car you must run. Iam kind of thinking down the line at trying to get some of these guys in the dirt and maybe opening up the class to other brands, I only know of two other guys in my area(two hours away) that even run in the dirt with these. Looks like it could be fun,hummm our house sits on one acre............. thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I know some of the guys here don't like Ultimate RC, but here are some reviews.

The Traxxas Rally car is basically a slash 4x4 with different tires on it. I know it has been criticized for being a BIG 1/10 scale car.
Most of the guys online will tell you it is more like a 1/8 or 1/7 scale.
But if it is a spec class and everyone is running them, then what the heck. Run them.
The big thing I know EVERYONE, including me, complained about on the slash is the progressive springs on the shocks. So I imagine they are a problem on the Rally as well..
First thing I did with my slash, when I coverted to the LCG rally chassis, was to get rid of the stock progressive rate springs and go to a straight rate spring.
Made the truck handle MUCH BETTER.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post

The Traxxas Rally car is basically a slash 4x4 with different tires on it. I know it has been criticized for being a BIG 1/10 scale car.
Most of the guys online will tell you it is more like a 1/8 or 1/7 scale.
Its actually 6th scale width and 7th scale wheel base, which is one really big reason I can not stand them. On top of that the body is butt ugly and it's just a SCT truck, nothing more.

One reason there is parts support for these vehicles is because people don't boycott them. If everyone said screw this unscale, unrealistic nonsense and lets run real rally cars the world would be a better place.

If you pushed for a true 10th scale sedan rally class I am sure you could get your fellow drivers and your shop to support the Tamiya XV-01 platform. Drives better, has tons on body, tire, hop up options and looks like a real rally car. Personally the main reason I run these cars at all is the scale realism, without that I wouldn't mess with these at all.

But in the end if it makes you happy do it.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the feedback guys. Turtles idea about getting them to allow a different brand also is something I should try to do. Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Hi guys long time 1:1 Rally fan, just a few questions about the Traxxas car. I have followed this thread off and on for quite some time and learned abit about the different cars offered. The Traxxas does not seem to be very popular , at least on this thread. So my local RC club (on-road) has started a Spec. Rally class with the Traxxas car being the one, you must use to compete. The races are held at the monthly races on pavement with a few wooden jumps set around the track to mix things up, at hte last race there was maybe 6-7 guys running the class. You have to run the car as it comes out of the box, except you can change the receiver and transmitter, shock oil, and tires. (Well I think you can change the tires). This sounds like a fun class to get involved with and maybe get some of the racers to try out the cars on dirt, so anyway I guess my question is what are some of the things good and bad about this platform to know about. The local shop supports this class and the brand with spare parts and that is a plus I my opinion. Iam not new to RC racing ( I have raced RC cars since 1976, yeah Iam old) just trying to find out some info before shelling out 400+ for something that might not work that well. Thanks for any info.
1. EPIC class. If I can get out to cali (before I get a Flux system) can I run?
2. for suspension, load up on shock spacers. They don't upset the car and still (mostly) keep it together on huge jumps. Still a very tough durable and fun platform.
3. I highly recommend the Proline Ford Focus as a body. The stock one sucks on looks and to some extent durability. Otherwise, I am waiting on more options.
Tire wise I like the stockers as they do their job well.
Overall it's probably the best Traxxas vehicle I've ever owned (and I have owned a lot) hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: For different brands I highly recommend the Losi when it comes out. My friend who races a TEN SCTE was really impressed with the cosmetics and chassis

Last edited by Blown Thunder; 10-09-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Blown Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've bashed my Slash 4x4 for a few years. They do have their mechanical gremlins, but most platforms do. Traxxas is widely supported because they do a lot for the hobby, and they have parts galore available. With their cross-platform marketing (a lot of parts are compatible with Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, Telluride) its easy to hop them up. Being a spec class, I'd venture to guess its the easiest to support. Also, if a lot of the guys there run a Slash in their 4x4 class, again, parts and familiarity are there.

It all depends on what draws you to rally. If the scale realism is the thing, then you won't be thrilled with it. I still run my old RS4 Rallys because they are more scale. Not very durable, no parts anymore, not made for brushless, etc, etc, but they are still fun to go play around with. If you just like the idea of mixing on-road and off-road and aren't too worried about the scale appearance, then they are a solid platform to run on. Especially if a class already exists. That's how I feel with my Wraith. Not too worried about scale appearances, more about how it performs.

I've always had good luck with Traxxas vehicles, and they take a beating like nothing else.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

the problem with trying to run another manufacture's car with them is there are none the same size. i myself would look for a old slash 4x4 and convert it to race you may save a buck or two
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I did get a Traxxas Rally to race with the local club in this class. We had the last race of the season on the 26th (night race) it was fun and I will run the class next year. But being it is a Spec. Class you cant do much to the car, that wont work for me, I have to change everything on a car when I build something. Anyway I do plan to get a proper Rally Car and see if I can drum up any interest in something like the Colo. boys have going.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
the problem with trying to run another manufacture's car with them is there are none the same size. i myself would look for a old slash 4x4 and convert it to race you may save a buck or two
I just converted my highly modified slash into a rally. The tires are kinda hard but with the relatively soft dirt/sand I have they will be fine and should last a while too.

If you guys want specs on my "rally" car I'll give em. Here is a pic or two of it.

without the body

The rear shocks are up a bit and I have yet to run it and tune it but this is it.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i Converted my Slash 4x4 in to a Rally car as well.. ^^
Left the Kuhmo mt tires on it but its really nice too

Rally towers, shocks, bumpers, posts, foam.. lowered it..
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

kinda off topic.. but this is a slash 4x4 converted to race car..
Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just ran a 65.5 mph run on 5S with mine. It has a 2300 trackstar 1/8 motor in it now with a 23t pinion. I think the spur is 60. Stock rally tires. Wife is supposed to get video tomorrow. This pic is the run without a body so idk how that will affect it tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

show off!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

has yours broke 30pmh yet?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

30? nope.. 29.9 was the fastest
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

......you should try my 4S in it.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

3s is plenty.. i can barely keep it on all 4 with a 6000mah 2s battery
Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

2,3 and 4 is easy on mine, 5 isn't too bad so long as I am careful with the throttle. I plan to try 6s in it soon.

Traxxas Rally Car?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone own a Traxxas 1/16th Rally Car? Szczerba Chit Chat 2 06-15-2012 08:11 AM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM