Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: HPI Sport 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HPI Sport 3

Hpi introduced a new 1/10 electric car a couple weeks ago, the sport 3. I'm a huge HPI fan anyways so of course I liked it, lol. But after reading some of the features I immediately thought this would be a good starting point for a rally car.

It has a completely sealed drivetrain, plus it's shaft drive. Not really a ton of shaft options on the market at the moment. But it does seem like it could be a cheap option for building a rally car. I found this picture below, but I'm pretty sure it has a bunch of option parts on it. I'm sure stock will be all plastic, but at least we know they have options planned for it, hopefully. Those wheels look like a great option for us rally guys as well!

I have no idea when it's being released, probably next year the way HPI has been lately, ha.

Just curious if anyone else has seen it and their thoughts on it.

JpSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: HPI Sport 3

I want those Wheels, Aero discs FTW !
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Gettin’ back on the horse

The design has me intrigued. No way will it be as nice as a xv01 in the loose, but it could be a fun car for high speed and Tarmac.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I still have yet to drive an XV01, it does seem like the XV01's layout would be nice for the loose dirt though. I have an FF03 and it definitely has a different feel to it, although I've never used it on dirt.
Maybe I can talk myself into an XV01 and a Sport 3, lol
The Sport 3's design isn't really anything new or innovative but i thought the sealed center driveshaft looked pretty unique and useful for the rally guys.

I really want those wheels though!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

hmmm.. sealed drive shaft , no holes in the chassis,solid {looks like anyway}control arms, sealed front and rear diff{sprint 2 deff dosnt have that }, universal motor placement{so not just for drift or racing .. } and a liped pan chassis .. and it looks like mush more ground clearance can be had from how its squatting.. we may be seing the return of a rally chassis .. hpi is doing a lot with rally cars ie wr8 and micro rs4 ... its deff not a race chassis .. deff not a drift chassis ... unless its the e10 replacement or something .
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

brand new tires as well .. look good
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

LIVE from the Nürnberg Toy Fair: ALL-NEW RS4 Sport 3 Touring Car! at HPI Racing Award-winning radio control cars and trucks
here is the basic set up .. id does look like thery are almost trying to replace the e10 and / or sprint 2 ... it comes in every opyion like the sprint 2 does .. brushed ... brushed drift .. or flux .. but is more set up like the e10
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Steering linkage looks a bit too open and tight for rallying on sand, gravel & snow, other than that I think E10's days are numbered
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Hoping they use the same diffs as the NRS4 series...Can swap in Axial units if that's the case. HD, OD, UD...etc. Run an overdriven rear in mine, gives it nice rotation on power. Nice to have options.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2fast View Post
hmmm.. sealed drive shaft , no holes in the chassis,solid {looks like anyway}control arms, sealed front and rear diff{sprint 2 deff dosnt have that }, universal motor placement{so not just for drift or racing .. } and a liped pan chassis .. and it looks like mush more ground clearance can be had from how its squatting.. we may be seing the return of a rally chassis .. hpi is doing a lot with rally cars ie wr8 and micro rs4 ... its deff not a race chassis .. deff not a drift chassis ... unless its the e10 replacement or something .
Yeah your right, I didn't even notice the solid arms, good catch.
I'm hopeing they will do a rally version, seems like a solid base to start from. The picture that I posted shows some different front wheels than what comes on the 3 different versions of the car that will be available, kind of makes me think others are in the works, I would love for hpi to get back into the 1/10 rally game. It seems as if the WR8 has been fairly successful for them so maybe they are looking to expand.

Now I just need to know a release date.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

the front wheels are same as rear but with the turbo fin add ons .. they go on between the nut and the wheel .. they did a prototype for ken block around a year ago for is personal wr8 and micro rs4 .. bur never for 10th scale .. so either they are going to make a gymkana 1/10th scale ken block car or they are going to just have them for aftermarket support like the rest of the alum hop ups on that chassis
either way im pumped to get one asap
Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just saw this image on HPI's site, interesting, can't say I'm ever thrilled when something needs to be accessed from the bottom of the chassis.
But I'm sure I'll still be buying one.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

with a chassis guard on and just leave that cut out im sure ilt will be fine. I just sold all my rs4 rally's and any extra rc I had so I can buy the new hpi line up.. I like these and the Baja 5r
Old 04-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

This looks pretty damn awesome! I would love to get one of these!
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm intrigued. Not sure what to think about the "bottom loading" drivetrain. I can't tell from the pic if it has a slipper clutch?

I sure hope it shows up just like the first pic, complete with all the AL and CF goodies.

If its solid and affordable, I'd rock one with a 97 Impreza body.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #16

The way the ring and pinion mesh varies with chassis flex is a neat design feature, no?

Seriously, any longitudinal flex is gonna cram those little pinions into the rings. Maybe there's so much slop in the assembly that they survive with moderate power, or something, or maybe the chassis is super stiff... I really want to like this thing. Those wheels are sick, and it's nice to see a real rally car instead of another bloated SCT.
Blaster 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I just hope it's a metal pinion and not junk plastic like the E10.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Im Brandon

It shares diffs with the WR8 I was told.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I don't see much if any chassis flex ot of this one piece almost pan style chassis ,with the top and bottom drive chaft civer{I think top is molded into chassis..}
Old 05-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #20

The sealed driveshaft is perfect for looked asphalt. Now I want that on my tt01 because it locks up all the time.
Panikku is offline   Reply With Quote

HPI Sport 3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI Sprint 2 Sport Jus Non Crawler RC's 12 08-21-2012 07:27 AM
??? hpi sprint 2 sport ??? CRUZ CONTROL Chit Chat 3 04-18-2008 05:38 PM