Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > RC Rock Crawling Worlds

Notices

Thread: 07 Nats Finals Course Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 07 Nats Finals Course Suggestions

After attending 06 USRRCA National, and 07 Axial Championships I felt like both events had anti-climatic Finals

Both JasonInAugusta (06 Nats Super) and Gatekeeper (07 Axial 2.2) had significant lead were the other drivers had little or no chance to catch them.
A lot of people at Axial wanted to reset the scores because it was called a shootout. I am not in favor of resetting the scores! The drivers worked to hard to not be rewarded.

What I propose is Double or Triple Max. Points for the last course, and maybe a longer time-limit. Sort of like a Final Jeopardy course

That way drivers are rewarded for good runs on Saturday, and the rest of us have an exciting Finals to watch on Sunday

Note: At SERCRC events we reset score for Finals because we have so many judges during the day it not perfectly consistent.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 07-18-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
After attending 06 USRRCA National, and 07 Axial Championships I felt like both events had anti-climatic Finals

Both JasonInAugusta (06 Nats Super) and Gatekeeper (07 Axial 2.2) had significant lead were the other drivers had little or no chance to catch them.
A lot of people at Axial wanted to reset the scores because it was called a shootout. I am not in favor of resetting the scores! The drivers worked to hard to not be rewarded.

What I propose is Double or Triple Max. Points for the last course, and maybe a longer time-limit. Sort of like a Final Jeopardy course

That way drivers are rewarded for good runs on Saturday, and the rest of us have an exciting Finals to watch on Sunday

Note: At SERCRC events we reset score for Finals because we have so many judges during the day it not perfectly consistent.
I like this Idea. Hopefully the 5 will be close in points anyway. maybe not reset the scores but up the anti. maybe 3 points for cleared gates...etc
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

5 points for each gate cleared, and 80 max points on the course would certainly increase the pucker factor on those driving
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
5 points for each gate cleared, and 80 max points on the course would certainly increase the pucker factor on those driving
I like it.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
R.I.P. Chip

So then someone could kick total a$$ on day 1 and come into the finals course with a 75 point lead, and then loose because he ran that one course bad?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm not feeling the weighed finals either. If someone does well enough the previous day that they can just sit out the finals, why not let them?
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There are many examples in sports were it comes down to the last game. I could list dozens of example, but I will spare everyone the details. The format does require some balls, and it may not be for everyone.

I was just throwing an idea out there
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

After giving it some more thought, something else comes to mind.

If we're going through the whole trouble of narrowing down the field of players to the 5 best in each class, it does make a little more sense to even the playing field so everyone has an equal chance on the next day's courses. It will penalize the person who worked harder, but I'm wondering what the point of having the Sunday event is, if not to make those top 5 work for their position.

It seems like that's what we're doing anyway as they are all running new courses on Sunday.

(In short, what Fishy said.)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Fishmaxx,
Anybody can have bad luck or need a repair, could you have some throw outs to keep things tight? One gate per course or one day per day?
Storm'
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
A lot of people at Axial wanted to reset the scores because it was called a shootout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
I like this Idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
If we're going through the whole trouble of narrowing down the field of players to the 5 best in each class, it does make a little more sense to even the playing field so everyone has an equal chance on the next day's courses.
Y'all need to quit stirring the pot...

This ain't no fawking democracy!
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
So then someone could kick total a$$ on day 1 and come into the finals course with a 75 point lead, and then loose because he ran that one course bad?
In the south we call that a CHOKER............not a CHAMPION
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytard View Post
Y'all need to quit stirring the pot...

This ain't no fawking democracy!
I just like the idea of having yet another way to piss off the local club with more ideas.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Say hello to my dactylion

I didn't mind how last years finals were handled. The guys that drove their a$$es off Saturday were on top for a reason. BUT... I do see kind of see your point Fish. If the scores were to be cleared for the final on Sunday, to level the playing field. With all finalists at 0 points, the only way I see to make it a fair finals would be to run 3 more courses on Sunday. A lot more work for USRCCA.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i think its a horrible idea. jia and gatekeeper drove well at the events, and they deserved their lead. if you want to win pick up your driving skill and improve your rig.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daddy View Post
"If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."
Last year was fine with me,hug it out and see what happens.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
If the scores were to be cleared for the final on Sunday, to level the playing field. With all finalists at 0 points,
I have long been in favor of this. If a driver is consistent then he will do well in the finals. I know drivers did well in the semi's but to have a driver that doesn't even need to show up (figuratively) to win is kind of bogus.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
I didn't mind how last years finals were handled. The guys that drove their a$$es off Saturday were on top for a reason. BUT... I do see kind of see your point Fish. If the scores were to be cleared for the final on Sunday, to level the playing field. With all finalists at 0 points, the only way I see to make it a fair finals would be to run 3 more courses on Sunday. A lot more work for USRCCA.
I am not in favor of resetting scores! I would just like to see it kicked up a notch for the finals,

Quote:
5 points for each gate cleared, and 80 max points on the course ...
and its no extra work on USRCCA, it rewards good runs on Saturday, and it makes for exciting Finals on Sunday
Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
R.I.P. Chip

I am open for suggestions, I'm not gonna be totally closed minded on this.

Here is one idea. How about we make the max points 40 point like normal, or if the points spread from 1st to 5th is more than that 40 we make the max points whatever the spread is, then round up to the next 10.

So if JIA went into the finals with a 47 point lead over 5th place we will make the max points 50.

Or if he went into it with a 20 point lead we'd just keep the max points 40.

This way, you lead would still count some, and you would still have to prove yourself on the course because technically it could be anyones game.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I am open for suggestions, I'm not gonna be totally closed minded on this.

Here is one idea. How about we make the max points 40 point like normal, or if the points spread from 1st to 5th is more than that 40 we make the max points whatever the spread is, then round up to the next 10.

So if JIA went into the finals with a 47 point lead over 5th place we will make the max points 50.

Or if he went into it with a 20 point lead we'd just keep the max points 40.

This way, you lead would still count some, and you would still have to prove yourself on the course because technically it could be anyones game.
I see where you are going with that.

I just think a closer race for the finals would make it more of a nail biter and keep you on your game.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Sounds pretty good.........add to it some increased progress points, and I would buy it.

I'd like to see increase progress points because .....if its like last year no one will finish the Finals Course, and 5 points is hard to make up on progress points