Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: DOCFIRE Bully axel build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation DOCFIRE Bully axel build (Venders LOOK)

Starting a new build this month with my new V2 RC4WD Bully axels. I will need some help from the great people here on RCCRAWLER.COM.

To start thing off, here are some photos of the Bullies, VP wheels W\460 offset, and HR Rovers (stock HR foam).

10" outside to outside of tire

Things I have:
  • Bully axel (derrrr) With steer kit
  • VP rims offset of 460 with 585 coming in the mail
  • HR Rovers
  • Castle Mamba Max
  • Castle BEC
  • DX3R
  • 3S lipo's
Things I need: This is where I need your help. Let me know what I should get for the items below (Please have a good reason why I should get it, and not just because it looks good.). I will use the parts and post photos and any build issues/problems. If any venders would like to have their parts showcased, I can do that to. When this crawler is done I can post any measurement, weights, and test Videos. In addition if you live in the Sacramento, CA area I will let you drive it. I have been known to frequent Capital City RC http://www.capitalrc.com/ and Folsom Lake rocks.
  • Chassis
  • Links
  • Link ends
  • Shocks
  • Servos
  • Motors
  • Body
  • Tire Foam
  • Skid protection
  • Etc.
So Let's get this thing built.

Last edited by docfire; 02-27-2009 at 07:54 PM.
docfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'd like to see a Bully torsion build!
Dr. Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I would like to see a Fubar bully...but is this the bully forum??
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
I would like to see a Fubar bully...but is this the bully forum??
Not sure if there is a Bully fourm???? It would be nice.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thunder View Post
I'd like to see a Bully torsion build!
I with you on this. Not to sure on a Cane style but some of the others might be good. Let get some feedback on what other think.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Nice looking axle's

The Rig in the pics on the Bully page on RC4WD's site is a kewl build (not sure who's it is?) Using a "Stick" style setup.

I'm sure this will be moved to the General Crawler section where all the other Bully Builds are.

And I am bummed that I missed out on these axles again! Hopefully they will be back in stock sooner rather then later?
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

On my bullies i have tried:

Kamikaze 4.0
DNA Mantis
Full torsion Backbone style
Stick backbone style
Blackjack in full droop
Bastard Jr
JP Customs Havok (prototype)

In all honesty the Havok is my favorite. You will find on the Bully axles that link setup can be a challenge. The size of the gearboxes on the axles makes some chassis options more challenge than they are worth. The Kamikaze, for example, i had to run a wider skid to spread the plates apart so the shocks wouldnt hit the gearboxes, its still a good chassis but its alot of additional trial and error. On the Mantis i had to make bent upper links to get the gearboxes to clear the front axle, not a major issue but its something that you will need to look at when building your rig. Another issue is the extreme steering axle the bullys allow. They will hit the shocks on some of the shorter chassis, not just a little rubbing but a lot. With the JP chassis having torsion on the front and the 4 link on both ends it avoids these issues. Im sure the Kamikaze ST version will be similar in this instance but i have had both and I like the JP more. The skid is pre-drilled and tapped and the edges are beveled on the skid and the chassis plates. I use the Kamikaze lower links on my comp rig though, the design is very nice for the bully axles in clearing the gearboxes.

Last edited by Culetto; 02-26-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

there should be a M.O.A forum because the berg people don't what bully there. and some don't want it here and the rc4wd forum should be for there products only so please lets make a M.O.A section and do away with berg only area.
i also am a bully guy and just started to build mine . but i wont steal this post

got to love them bullies
rc-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The KK Zero-T Chassis is nice. I am running it on my Bully's....I am liking it.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
On my bullies i have tried:

Kamikaze 4.0
DNA Mantis
Full torsion Backbone style
Stick backbone style
Blackjack in full droop
Bastard Jr
JP Customs Havok (prototype)

In all honesty the Havok is my favorite. You will find on the Bully axles that link setup can be a challenge. The size of the gearboxes on the axles makes some chassis options more challenge than they are worth. The Kamikaze, for example, i had to run a wider skid to spread the plates apart so the shocks wouldnt hit the gearboxes, its still a good chassis but its alot of additional trial and error. On the Mantis i had to make bent upper links to get the gearboxes to clear the front axle, not a major issue but its something that you will need to look at when building your rig. Another issue is the extreme steering axle the bullys allow. They will hit the shocks on some of the shorter chassis, not just a little rubbing but a lot. With the JP chassis having torsion on the front and the 4 link on both ends it avoids these issues. Im sure the Kamikaze ST version will be similar in this instance but i have had both and I like the JP more. The skid is pre-drilled and tapped and the edges are beveled on the skid and the chassis plates. I use the Kamikaze lower links on my comp rig though, the design is very nice for the bully axles in clearing the gearboxes.
I have noticed the isue with the steering and shock mount locations. I currently have a zero 3.5 on my berg and i love it. but the intial fit a finish was weak. That ok because i like to tinker. The HaVoc Chassis look like the way to go, but i'm still thinking.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

how about a mantis dna?
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Should i wait for this?????

Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant3150c View Post
Nice looking axle's

The Rig in the pics on the Bully page on RC4WD's site is a kewl build (not sure who's it is?) Using a "Stick" style setup.

I'm sure this will be moved to the General Crawler section where all the other Bully Builds are.

And I am bummed that I missed out on these axles again! Hopefully they will be back in stock sooner rather then later?

Thanks for the compliments man, the bully stick is my creation, and the thread is here --Another RC4WD Bully Build--, once the chubby is made, I will be switching over to test it
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfire View Post
I have noticed the isue with the steering and shock mount locations. I currently have a zero 3.5 on my berg and i love it. but the intial fit a finish was weak. That ok because i like to tinker. The HaVoc Chassis look like the way to go, but i'm still thinking.
You wont be disapointed in the havok. I threw mine together the week before our last comp, hadent driven it up anything more than a curb when i lined up at the first gate and pulled the only negative score of all the entrants on all 3 courses in 2.2. and ended in third. Its also the cheapest of the bunch with far superior fit and finish.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
Thanks for the compliments man, the bully stick is my creation, and the thread is here --Another RC4WD Bully Build--, once the chubby is made, I will be switching over to test it
Mahalo for linking to your thread

I knew I saw it before just could'nt remember and was to lazy to search
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Culetto... The Chassis you have is the Prototype too. Which you knew already. The Finish on the Production HaVoc will be even better. I made a few small changes. Which will allow 3 different skids tp mount up. 2in wide, 2.75in Wide and a Stock Ax-10 skid. Or any after market Ax-10 skid as well. I designed the HaVoc based off the Bullys. I knew if I could get it to clear the Bullys it would have no problems with clearing issues on the Bergs.

My Machinist is trying to talk me into making them in White Delrin as well. Which will make them even cheaper too.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post

My Machinist is trying to talk me into making them in White Delrin as well. Which will make them even cheaper too.

Oooh. White would be cool. I could actually go for a color scheme now. LOL
Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

as mentioned the real chalange is links...

I had a reign widemouth on my bully build....I just bought a fubar skeeter chassis because the reign widemouth's lower links are NOT bully axle friendly!!
the lower link were hitting the lower frame rails..

If I was gonna wait for a chassis for a bully build it would be Harley's "ARC" or maybe the Chubby chassis.....my first choice would be the "ARC"!! I have been drooling over that chassis!!
the fubar skeeter looks to be set-up perfect for BIG gear boxed MOA axles...it a nice little chassis.
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Default Chassis ordered

The HaVoc chassis has been ordered, with two of their skids, one 2x2 and one 2x2.75. This is per Culetto advice THANKS. See you make the request, and I make the order.

Now what links lower and upper? I have some Zeros (on a berg) and the stock berg bent in the tool box. Or should I make my own?

Also what motors???? 45T, 35T and what make, Holmes, JP, Integy. How about the tooth gear for front and rear, mix frn 12T and rear 13T.

Lets talk bodies.......Best for role over recovery, style, and quality.

Any venders looking lets see what your stuff can do. I'm looking for a FREE handout but if you want free is good.

Last edited by docfire; 02-27-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Let’s get some input?????? This should have been left in the Berg pages. I would have gotten more input there, BUT thanks to those few that have helped.