Quarry Creeper

loven the dry weather picks
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaruki View Post
loven the dry weather picks
Yea when it rains here we dont comp, you guys from the wet states are much braver than us desert rats when it comes to electronics
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

How are you liking the changes to the rig? I'm sure that the havok and the shortened/sprung chassis act differently.
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Its more personal prefrence and the type of rocks we have bene running on. Ou here there isnt alot of gap work its all huge natural moutains so on some of the courses the torsion was keeping a wheel up when i needed it to go down. This was just more of an experiment to see how the havoc would run and it does well, the shocks on the front are layed way way down so the whole thing feels very loose (they only travel about 1/2 inch now but its full articulation). It allows me to get the wheels where i need them in certain situations but sacrifices some sidehilling since its so soft it will lean over. I'll be switching to a hellstrom soon just to try it but all in all this works well for me out here on our last few comps. I dont think i would recommend it to everyone though.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Below are my original comments about the bullys when i first received mine almost a year ago. I pulled my rear axle apart for some cleaning and figured i would post up the wear from 1 year of crawling (pics are below the quote for comparison). Ask anyone locally im pretty rough on my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Well the bullys came the other day. I have been frantically trying to get them mounted so i could run them this weekend and break them in. I have the mounted up now but the electronics need to all be moved around and tucked lower. I have been wanting these since august when RC4WD announced them and the first proto testers went out. These are worth the wait.

First some axle pics

6mm Shafts all the way around and CVD's on the front. These are all beef. The M3 screw is in there for refrence.

Brass bushings support the knuckles. More beef here. And stock high clearance knuckles.

Excellent machining all around. All gears supported by metal shielded bearings.

6mm thick gears. I dont imagine even as rough as i am on my rigs ill ever strip one. Wont need a spare set in the pit box for these. Final drive gear switches to 32p for durability and ..... more beef.
New Pics (note there is no wear at all on the gears, any small lumps or imperfections you see are actually leftover grease i might have missed)

The cases and bearings are still flawless on the inside. When i reasembled everything before i greased it you could spin the axle and it would keep right on spinning just from the intertia and the quality of the bearings.

All lubed up and ready to go. Incidentally when i pulled them apart the grease was still almost this same red color. The only dirty grease was on the motor side gear where it still gets dust/dirt etc into the case through the motor.

This is the only grease i will use on these axles, it flat out works and if i remember correctly it was $7 for this giant container.

I just want to give props to RC4WD for making such a killer product. As i said in the quote above i was itching to get these before they were even released and i havent been happier with a crawling based purchase.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

I remember when I first started seeing these really getting on the boards,,,I was reading all the problems people were having etc..then the fixes happened,,one after another,,and now,,i too couldnt be happier,,its good to get an idea from threads like yours what the rest of us can expect out of our purchases,,,thanks culetto
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
I remember when I first started seeing these really getting on the boards,,,I was reading all the problems people were having etc..then the fixes happened,,one after another,,and now,,i too couldnt be happier,,its good to get an idea from threads like yours what the rest of us can expect out of our purchases,,,thanks culetto
Ya the first stubs were a bit small as you can see from the pics. They did have some breakage but honestly i didnt think it was any more than axial stubs on the weights we were running back then. RC4WD came through and made 4 different versions of the axles and stubs to get them right, we also had some independents making some (RC Axle Master all around in mine, never broken). In all actuality it worked out for the best because these are by far the most comp ready axle on the market now. I still see bergs breaking stubs and they are just now getting the super 300's aftermarket 2 years later. You will see more and more people switching in the comming months i think.

Last edited by Culetto; 11-20-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Props to RCAxleMaster
Old 11-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Ya the first stubs were a bit small as you can see from the pics. They did have some breakage but honestly i didnt think it was any more than axial stubs on the weights we were running back then. RC4WD came through and made 4 different versions of the axles and stubs to get them right, we also had some independants making some. In all actuality it worked out for the best because these are by far the most comp ready axle on the market now. I still see bergs breaking stubs and they are just now getting the super 300's aftermarket 2 years later. You will see more and more people switching in the comming months i think.

Yeah, I agree with culetto.

I think you will start to see more and more bully rigs especially since RC4WD just released the lighter CNC version again.

I also have over a year of abuse on my bullies with no signs of wear on any of the gears ! I have even snap teeth off of 2 pinion gears (454 pullers )with no damage to the main gears !

Last edited by toytech93; 11-20-2009 at 02:54 PM.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

chris,,,mail sent to your email,,thomas
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Well when i got my bully's i couldnt handle paying another 50 bucks for the ''steering kit'' so i made my own. It worked really well and kept the link above the knuckle arms where i like it (why bother having high clearance knuckles and run the link on the bottom?).

So when Xirtic released his delrin servo mount for the bully's i decided i would try it. Recently switching to bodiless means my servo is more exposed so i figured this might save me 100 bucks someday

Looks pretty simple right? Not even close! The tolerances on this thing are extremely tight for the design. I feel bad for Xirtic since he will be getting alot of feedback from the whiney ''bolt-n-go'' crowd but i love it. The bottom of the upper link mount got shaved just a teeny bit to give it some breathing room. I considered countersinking the holes but at 415oz of torque on the servo i want all the meat there i can.

Yes you can get a piece of paper in there but not thick paper

Ok so here is where it gets interesting. I HATE the link mounts below the knuckles. Maybe its just my thing. After messing with this and the tolerances for a couple hours (yea, my OCD kicked in ) i remembered something we did a long time ago to make a tight tolerance link mount. Out came the 5/16 stainless tube, 4mm allthread, TLT link mount and the brazing torch (in the house no less, my GF is not amused right now, LOL)

from below

and i kept my sweet aproach angle and got the main steering link another 3/16 above the knuckles

Thanks to Xirtic for a killer product! I will definatley be recommending this one to all the Bully drivers i know.

Please keep in mind that my setup isnt really typical for this mount. I HAVE to have it where I want it and ill keep building on it till its there. If you want to just bolt it on click HERE for pics of the base setup from Xirtic.

Last edited by Culetto; 12-01-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Question. I don't have my LT bully's yet so I might be able to answer my own question in a week or so but why doesn't anyone run the knuckles backwards with a bent tie rod like on the Bergs?
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #94
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
Question. I don't have my LT bully's yet so I might be able to answer my own question in a week or so but why doesn't anyone run the knuckles backwards with a bent tie rod like on the Bergs?

That is on my list to figure out......eventually.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
That is on my list to figure out......eventually.
Because of the shock/link mounts, you cant turn them all the way in you will hit the mounts. I tried this right when i got mine.

Its not impossible. I have some designs done but until its perfected and prototyped it wont be public.

In the short term you could flip and switch the knuckles and run a flat link under the axles like the clods used to. Dont think anyone is that desperate for approach angle but hey, there it is.