Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Papabash's Hellstrom Pro Bully Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Papabash's Hellstrom Pro Bully Build

I've been collecting parts for this build for a while now, mainly waiting on Jarod to come out with his updated chassis designs. Went by last night and picked up one of the first test-run Hellstroms along with a bodiless cab for it. These new chassis (HaVoc has also been re-designed) are pretty sweet; they retain all the things that have made them so successful over the years, while incoporating new features popular now such as the slanted skid, and a more narrow center section for lighter weight and longer link usage.
This will be my rig for 2011, so it will be a slooooow build. I am going to take my time (whenever I can find it) and do this thing up right. My cast axled Bully will get me through the rest of this season, so there is no hurry other than the fact that I have a new toy and can't wait to get it together and play with it!
Enough talk, and on to the pictures; nothing to show yet, other than the chassis itself and how the cab will look when installed.
Parts waiting for installation include:
*Lightweight Bully axles front and back (will probably install cast tubes on the front, but we'll see)
*V6 xvd's
*Holmes ESC
*JP Warrior 45t motors (from my current rig)
*Yeah Racing shocks
*White Rovers (still my favorite)
*Wheels yet to be decided
*Will probably go with a 4 cell lipo
Sorry about the crappy pics; had really bad lighting. They look much better in person!
Attached Images

Last edited by papabash; 09-05-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: improved pictures
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wow... 4 cell... Damn I guess I'll have to make the jump as well now...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Wow... 4 cell... Damn I guess I'll have to make the jump as well now...
Dang, I should have kept that quiet!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good thing we shot all that Video last night... Or will would be driving under water today..
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Good thing we shot all that Video last night... Or will would be driving under water today..
No doubt! Now get busy and get it edited and uploaded!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

the lack of a slanted skid was what kept me away from these chassis when I picked up my t1e stage, now that I see this I'm intrigued for my next moa build!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
the lack of a slanted skid was what kept me away from these chassis when I picked up my t1e stage, now that I see this I'm intrigued for my next moa build!
I cut my old HaVoc to give it a slanted skid, but these new designs are much better. I'm glad Jarod updated them. I'm anxious to try the new cab on it also.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

yeah I saw your other build and am looking forward to this one. you had lots of good photos and explanattions in there!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Not a whole lot of progress yet, wife had a family reunion, so have been busy with that. Did manage to find time to get the shocks together and filled. I did the shock cap mod on them using Axial ends to keep the length closer to original; they now measure just about exactly 95mm eye to eye. Started out with 30 weight oil in all 4 for now until I can do some testing. I'm sure I will change at least the rears, but wanted to start out fairly neutral.
These are the shocks I am using, have similar ones on my current rig and have been very happy with them. Second picture shows them after the mod. Blue springs in rear, red in front. The blue springs aren't a lot heavier than the reds, may have to come up with something heavier later... or maybe not with the lighter weight.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

are those axial ends with traxxas balls in them?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
are those axial ends with traxxas balls in them?
Good eye! Yes, they are, I prefer the heavier Traxxas balls over the Axial ones.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Finally have some more progress to report.... I've been doing a lot of work on the front axle; decided to go with the machined tubes instead of the cast (at least for now). The idea of this build is to get the weight down from my cast Bully which, in it's final form as it sits now, is 7.2 pounds. I'm hoping to gain some agility and improved side-hilling along with sharper uphill digging. With that in mind, I figure it's easier to install the lighter tubes and play with the weights in the wheels until I get it where I want it. If I end up with enough weight in the wheels to warrant it, I can always switch out the light tubes and install the cast ones and take the weight back out of the wheels. I did, however, go ahead and use the cast knuckles - I figure at least that much will be beneficial. I didn't think the knuckles would make much difference, but when I weighed them, I found that I will be adding just over 1.3 ounces to the front. Not a lot, but I think significant.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I borrowed Storminator's Beefy Knuckle Mod idea Beefy Knuckle mod, and installed the following bearings along with the appropriate M4 screws:
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the nerve up to cut my new axle tube so I can use ripper7777777's high clearance steering kit. Cutting the axle was much easier than I thought, and I think it turned out pretty well.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Also did a bit of rounding to the bottom of the gear case; not as much as some have done, but enough that I think it should help to slide off the rocks when needed.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Last mod to the axle was to use JP's steering mod My Bully Build 4th 2009 Comp Rig. I bought the V6's for this build, but liked this idea better, so I installed the 6's in my cast Bully for now.
Next up: find some more time to work on the rear axle. Shouldn't take too long, just have to round the bottom of the gear case and grease/loctite everything.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

yeah I'd say your servo cutout is REAL nice, you got that sharp of an edge into it with just a belt sander?! that's sick! I need to do the knuckle mod as well, thank you for posting the parts in package so I can take that to the dummies at my LHS and show them the part numbers!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Does those yr shocks leak? Are they smoot?
_micro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by _micro_ View Post
Does those yr shocks leak? Are they smoot?

I ran YR's on the rear of my current rig all this season with no leaks, and they are smooth as a baby's behind!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Small update: Made some bent delrin upper links tonight, and now have full articulation without hitting the clocked gear case or chassis braces. Borrowed 53 willys' shock mounting method ~53 Willys 2010 Fubar Bully Build~ he suggested its use for non-ball end shocks like the Losi's, but I just like the idea and figure it can't hurt anything even though I did the shock cap mod on my shocks (and have them mounted upside-down anyway). Had to have a way to space the shocks out a bit, and this is as good as any.
Attached Images