Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Bully Build

I got a great deal on a set of new Bully axles, some wheels, tires and motors. I was going to try and build this thing cheaply but somehow ended up ordering a Chaotic Crawlers Switch chassis with titanium links. They had a 20% off deal and buying the chassis got me two free Ottsix Voodoo tires. Of course I had to buy four. Might have to get me some fancy new wheels to go with all of this.

The chassis arrived yesterday.

And after a half hour of test fitting, this is the result. Looks sweet.

Putting together the Revo rod ends was a new experience. I tried needle nose pliers but that scratched the aluminum rod end ball that I got. So I looked around the shop and saw a 2 X 4 with a screw hole on it.

I put the rod end over the hole and put the rod end ball over it.

A light tap with a rubber dead blow hammer popped it right in. I did the other 15 in a minute or so. No scratches and no deformation of any of the end balls. Keep your fingers outta there, just put the end ball on top and pop it in.

There'll be more to come as I get more of the parts in the mail. So far the chassis is all that's here.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Last edited by Tossedman; 09-07-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Had a second thought...
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bully Build

OK, gotta question. How are the Traxxas big bore shocks on a Bully with the Chaotic Crawlers switch chassis. Been looking around the forums and see lots of guys are modding the cap to take a Revo end. Is this necessary as well?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

They are a bit heavier than other shocks, but are reliable and consistent. The cap mod is not a must but there is not much that works better. I also like the Integy MSR11 shocks.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks Josh. Looks like the Integy MSR11 shocks wouldn't need the cap mod. Is performance similar between the two?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Performance is similar. What makes me lean toward the big bore is the ease of getting parts.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yeah, I can get lots here at the local hs.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Are you putting the new bully2 axles on that puppy
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

Wow!! Looking good!! I'm doing the exact same build as well and just started too. Just waiting on steering kit and shox. Then all is needed is electronics. Also got the chassis bcause the 20% off versus the smash. Got the VooDoo's and looks great! Cant wait to see more of your pics! Have Fun!!
BenBamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

My axles arrived today. Samaruki, it's V1, didn't know V2 existed until last week. I'll make do for now but I'm already scheming a way to get my hands on the new Bully axles. What an I sell? What can I sell?

Benbambam, I got the chassis 20% off as well and the Voodoo tires are on their way as well. Seems like some things shipped up here to Canada take forever to get here. Gotta get some wheels now as well. And like you, I need electronics. Got a couple of 55T motors kicking around that I can use but need ESCs, BEC and all that.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Hey y'all,

I'm looking at some Vanquish SLW wheels for this thing. What size hubs are you guys running on these things?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks like a very good start you got there. Will be keeping my eyes on this one.

Perhaps I will have to grab the kid and take a run to Calgary one weekend and we can go to Ted's garage.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yeah, the bits and pieces are slowly getting here. Wheels are the next order. Gotta save up for the electronics.

Last edited by Tossedman; 09-12-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yup it seems the second things change from USPS to Canada Post it triples the delivery time. I am fortunate enough to be 10 minutes or so from a sub post office in the US. Works real good for me.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
RCC Addict

That's cool. I haven't been south of Trail in 20 years, to Kettle Falls for a wedding. Nothing like that close to here. Canada post is so efficient that I was tracking a package from the US on both the USPS site and Canada Post's site. Canada Post lost it in Canada. USPS tracking worked all the way through the Canadian postal system. CP just said don't worry, it'll get there.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Got tires last night. Voodoos from Ottsix. Also got some Double Deuce foams from Crawler Innovations to stuff in them. Wheels shipped today. Patience grasshopper, patience.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Last edited by Tossedman; 09-17-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

What style of SLW's did you wind up getting?

I managed to get a set of the V6's and 600 hubs for a decent price used. I plan on giving them a good coat of flat black and baking them in the oven to harden the finish up. Have done this allot with the aluminum parts and it seems to work real well.

The kid has a brand new set of Voodoos sitting there waiting to be mounted, wonder how long it will take me to con him out of those LOL. If not I will be using some HB Rover EX tires I got brand new for a good price and shaving the sidewalls.

What will you be running for electronics?
I just ordered a pair of Sidewinder Micro's, will have to see how they compare with the dual FXR combo in the Bully Mantis.

Last edited by jaloos; 09-26-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I'm still waiting on some black V2 SLWs. They're in the works. I need 1" wheels, got shipped some 0.7" ones by mistake. Can't be in a hurry when everything's coming by mail. I've got a buddy in Vancouver who may be interested in the 0.7" wheels though. As you can see I've got one set of Voodoos. We'll have to see how they work out. I've heard good things about them.

Not sure about the electronics yet. Still doing some research, and letting the credit card recover a bit. This is turning into a higher end project rather than the low ball crawler I'd thought of when I started out. That's OK though, I can't stand cheap, flimsy stuff. I am eyeing those Bully 2 axles too. They look pretty sweet. Won't be on the market for another 3-4 weeks at least though.

I've got a Sanwa (Airtronics) MT-4 radio already that I use with a couple of on road cars and a Hitec 7950 servo. I was eyeing the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini for the ESCs. He says they may offer them in pairs smashed together already. Save me some work there. Want to wait a bit and see how they work out though.

Last edited by Tossedman; 09-26-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Had a second thought...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
RCC Addict

A little more progress to report. Got the steering mocked up.

I picked up the RC4WD Bully steering. I'll have to see how it works.

I've also got a couple of Axial 55t motors that I threw in there. I'm sure I'll change them but they're what's on my bench right now

I've got a couple of Sanwa servos lying around doing nothing so I threw one of those on as well. Didn't have a sevo horn so it was time for a trip to the local hobby shop.

So at the hobby shop, got to talking and instead of a servo horn I came home with one of these. A Hitec 7950TH. Seems to be a popular servo. I'm sure it gotta be better than the Sanwa.

I did get an aluminum servo horn though, that's it in the background and it's for the Hitec.

Waiting for more parts from the mailman so stay tuned, there's more to come.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Last edited by Tossedman; 09-27-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Couldn't spell my name...
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #19

That is looking great. I'm getting ready to order the same chassis and axle setup
bnb0221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Thanks bnb0221, post yours too so we can see how you're doing it.

Got a question about shocks. What weight oil are you guys using? Does the weight of the axles affect your choice?

Cheers eh,

Todd

Bully Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Bully build. WolverineX RC4WD Bully 38 05-06-2011 02:26 PM
Bully build reden RC4WD Bully 12 01-15-2011 05:48 AM
Help me build my Bully Psychomonkey RC RC4WD Bully 1 01-25-2010 04:39 PM
Bully Build pbm45 RC4WD Bully 2 10-08-2009 11:15 AM
Build a Bully For Under $50 blue10 RC4WD Bully 13 09-14-2009 11:23 PM