Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Motor length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #1

Default Motor length

So I am confused as to the length of motors that I can fit into this thing. At first I was looking at the hobbywing fusion, as I am seeing quite a lot of ooohs and aaahs about it on youtube and whatnot. This will not work because it is 66mm in length.

I'd like to go brushless, but I don't see anything available that will fit. The first generation of the Hobbywing AXE would fit, but it is discontinued and is not available anywhere.

I am now thinking I will pair something with a couple of Hobbywing 1080s.

What confuses me is the fact that the stock motor in the RTR version is listed at 52.9mm in length, while the measurements I keep coming up with on my kit are 53mm for the rear, but only 49.5mm for the front before the corner of the can starts to rub on the link. How are these fitting on the RTR?

Check out the picture below. Please let me know if you don't see the pic.

What motors are you using?

aPpYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Motor length

I run 2 holmes hobbies 540 trailmasters 45T. Never had any clearance issues. And yes I can see the picture.
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoa View Post
I run 2 holmes hobbies 540 trailmasters 45T. Never had any clearance issues. And yes I can see the picture.
I have been reading up on kv ratings and turn specs. If you were to do it over again, would you go with a 55T (slower, higher torque), a 35T (faster, lower torque), or stay at 45T?

Here's the other reason I ask...

On their website, I see the 45T trailmaster is a 550. I see 55T and 35T 540s but not 45T. The site is inconsistent in how the features/specs are listed. The 550s are 57mm, but it does not list the length of the 540s ...
Old 05-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPpYe View Post
What motors are you using?
Holmes Crawlmaster Pro 540's (13t)
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yeah stick to a 540 or smaller. If you do want to go brushless check out the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Stubbies, they're only 45mm long.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...by-2200kv.html

You might also consider these motor guards too (once they're back in stock) https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/par...tor-sav-r.html

My Bully 2 came with a set of (3 slot) 35T brood motors, If I had to do it again I'd go for the 5 slot Crawlmasters 10t-13t
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

I had briefly been swooning over the Hobbywing Quickrun Fusion, but alas, they are too long.

I ended up going with the Crawlmaster (Sport) 16t. Torquier than the 13t, hopefully it isn't too slow. I will run 3s most likely. I was looking at Trailmaster 35t and 55t, as the 45t (mentioned above) was only available in 550. The description for the Crawlmaster had one phrase that sold me: "SMOOTHEST budget motor." According to their motor recommendations, it is faster either of Trailmasters anyway.

I am not sure the motor guards will work. I have not yet bolted them in, but the Crawlmaster doesn't quite fit on the front, I think I'll have to bend the front links out a little at the inner bend, then in a little at the outer bend to compensate. This will theoretically clock the motor slightly higher because the links will be shorter after the bending ... Hopefully it'll be okay. The motors do have a 1-2mm lip on the can that sticks out from the bottom, which I can grind off or something, but I don't know that I like that idea! The rear has plenty of clearance.

Except for the battery, I now have everything I need to build. I did get an unexpected refund from the mortgage company last month, so POPPA'S GOT A NEW XMAXX!!! My attention had thus been diverted to repairing and strapping exploded tires (the power on this thing is unreal) and the family was also up at my house for Mother's day weekend. Hopefully I can get electronics mounted and installed today. With 4WS, dual ESCs, and stick control, this thing is gonna CRAWL!
Old 05-27-2021, 12:54 AM   #7

Lol. Reading my last post, I can see I have come along a little these last couple days. The new X-Maxx has had much of my attention these last few weeks, but now that I got that ironed out, I have shifted focus back to this guy.

I was having motor clearance issues on both the front and rear, but I did not think about the links needing to be precisely matched lengthwise left to right. Even a millimetre or two different and the entire axle skews to one side. Once I got the links matching on the front, the clearance issues went away and the axle is nice and centered to the chassis.

Before discovering the issue, I cheated and bent the bottom links on the rear axle to get clearance. Seeing as how it's also off to one side, I'll be revisiting that. Hopefully I can get them bent back to where they belong.

I'm learning! Thanks again everyone for your help and advice.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I read your post and didn't get it, checked my Bully 2 and still didn't get it so I'm glad you got it figured out

Whenever I assemble links I match them up in pairs to ensure the lengths are equal.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-27-2021 at 07:37 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:04 PM   #9

Basically both sets of top links (front and rear) did not match in length, moving the axles off to one side. This caused motor clearance issues, especially on the rear. I also discovered that the bottom front links are directional; the manual didn't mention anything about that. I flipped them around and that also provided additional clearance.

Motor length - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Length HairNutz Axial SCX10 III 3 01-19-2021 06:21 PM
Bully motor screw length hotrod2 RC4WD Bully 2 02-23-2010 06:51 PM
Motor Wire length LittleDave Newbie General 16 10-18-2008 08:16 AM
Motor shaft length: Is this an issue? LAV25 Newbie General 3 05-03-2007 02:38 PM