Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: New bumper for my TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New bumper for my TF2

Loving my TF2 while hating it's plastic bumpers, I ordered up a bumper from RCMODELex. When it arrived yesterday, I could see it wasn't made for the TF2 chassis. So with my limited fabrication skills and no idea on how I was going to make it work, I started out this morning to see what I could do. I ended up using an aluminum RC4WD bumper mount that was already on the truck, a pair of Blue Monkey chassis lift blocks to raise the bumper height, and some 3mm button head screws and nylock nuts. Also, the 3racing winch mounting plate fits perfectly in the cut out in the bumper. The bumper also comes with D ring mounts and mounting tabs for two lights. I'll need to give the bumper another coat of black paint to hide the scratches I made while doing the mock up. Oh, in case your wondering, the bumper is metal and must weigh at least a half a pound. I'll weigh it when I tear it down to repaint.

The last two photo's are how I mounted the bumper. First, I used the RC4WD #1 metal bumper that was on the truck. The long brackets you see are what comes with the bumper from RCMODELex. I mounted the end with the elongated holes to mount to the RC4WD mount where the existing holes are provided for the holes that the long set screws go through to mount the plastic bumper. I did this so I could slide the bumper forward or backward to get the distance from the front of the truck that I wanted. As you can see, I used Blue Monkey chassis lift blocks to raise the brackets supplied with the RCModelex bumper. Next I found the center line of the bumper and simply drilled four holes in the new bumper to mount it to the bumper. I used button head cap screws and lock nuts to do this. I am going to use longer screws so that they go completely through the holes in the RC4WD bumper mount and then put a lock nut on each screw. I hope my explanation was clear. I'm sure those of you with proper tools and material will come up with a better way if you decide to use this bumper. Just so you will all know, the bumper weights 10.8 oz as per my postal scale.

Last edited by raceeng18; 07-05-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: more photo's
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New bumper for my TF2

Looks beefy
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

looks awesome. i just got the same bumper on friday. i didnt check to see how it will mount but i was happy that it was wider that the body.
could you post pics of you mounting system so i can get an idea of how i might go about mounting mine.
and it looks fn sweet on your truck.

thanks bob
dybbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks killer....is that the Hillux bumper ?
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Was looking at the wrong product. Thought you spent $800 for that!

I am ordering one up myself. Looks awesome.

Last edited by t3yf5g; 07-03-2012 at 11:24 PM.
t3yf5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Looks killer....is that the Hillux bumper ?

that is the defender bumper i do believe. i have the hillux and i think its a direct bolt on but i could be wrong?

i would still like to see how he has this one mounted.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Too bad it's so heavy, there's enough weight up front already
Looks awesome though
Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

PICS of the mount and the bumper model number would be great.. TY
K1llerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The bumper is the Defender ARB, BU-0095. I'll get some pictures of the mount ( which I'm going to look at re-doing) when I tear it all down for re-paint OK.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks good! nice fab skills getting it to work!
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I wrote to RCMODELex about the Hilux bumper. Their response was that the Hilux bumper they sell needs modification to fit the TF2 chassis as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Postclanker, I'm finding the extra weight up front to be to my advantage when it comes to climbing. As you can see in my photo, the front of the truck is still level. I haven't noticed or heard the front shocks bottoming out as yet and I am not running the internal springs up front. Time will tell I guess. Oh, what I have noticed is that I now have to be cognizant of my approach angle to an object I want to go over. This bumper protrudes just a little more. I still have some room to move the bumper towards the grill a little more without it touching, I may give that a try too.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Postclanker, I'm finding the extra weight up front to be to my advantage when it comes to climbing. As you can see in my photo, the front of the truck is still level. I haven't noticed or heard the front shocks bottoming out as yet and I am not running the internal springs up front. Time will tell I guess. Oh, what I have noticed is that I now have to be cognizant of my approach angle to an object I want to go over. This bumper protrudes just a little more. I still have some room to move the bumper towards the grill a little more without it touching, I may give that a try too.
I had heard that going down hill the front wanted to nose over...I have not had the pleasure of running mine yet so I don't know that for a fact...still waiting on the flat bed from my guy in PA. I did add some weight to the wheels...and an extra ounce in the rear anticipating this. I still think that the weight bias would be toward the front after this anyway, just not as bad. we'll post up pictures and such when I get the finished product...hopefully next week. Then I can verify where my balance sits. if there were an emodicon for crossed fingers, I'd show that here...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I wrote to RCMODELex about the Hilux bumper. Their response was that the Hilux bumper they sell needs modification to fit the TF2 chassis as well.
Thats funny.Should be not to hard to do.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Me too. ...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Tough Armor Rear Bumper Mount for Trail Finder Chassis

imgoingto try to mod something like this to get my helix bumper to fit my tf2.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Here's how I made my mount for my RCModelex ARB (well Nate's mount and bumper for my old TF2 LOL!)

this is before the holes were drilled and paint...the plates run back between the frame rails and use the existing braces and holes on the chassis. I used the same style mount on the bumper I fabbed on the truck originally. This uses the same idea but i welded the horns that RCmodelex includes, onto the stainless plates.

My friend Adam thought it would be nice to take a pic of the non-aitcraft welding action while I'm on the clock
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Can you share pic of this mounted on the tf2 chassis.Thanks
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
Can you share pic of this mounted on the tf2 chassis.Thanks
I'll get it on there and snap a few pics. It will be a bit different on Nate's truck as I trimmed right up to the grille.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

that picture of you welding tozrovr is awesome. and thats how i was going totry to hook my bumper up but after checking it out it looks as if all i need is
like a 2mm or so spacer to mount it to the chassis side rails? i might have to fab up some longer (stock) bumper mounts with slots in
them to get the proper spacing to the frontof the grill.

New bumper for my TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front and rear bumper mounts tf2 mtgrizzlymn RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 05-27-2012 05:56 AM
RC4WD Aluminum Bumper Mounts for the TF2 (Just Released) Rckcrwlr RC4WD Trail Finder 2 8 05-16-2012 04:41 AM