Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Max tire size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Max tire size?

I just got my kit today and was very impressed with the detail in the running gear, beautiful stuff.
I was wondering what size tyre combos work on this rig without turning it into a monster truck or doing any major body lift , I want to keep it scale as possible.
I am looking at the stuff from RC4WD, either IROK 1.55 on the standard rim or the 1.7 IROK on a matching rim. Will anything around 110mm fit OK without any rub issues?
It wont be used in comps just trail running and crawling.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Max tire size?

The main rub area is the front of the front wheel wells. If you trim the grill and fenders just below the headlights, it helps greatly. That and sometimes a small trim at the back of the front wheel wells. I can fit 1.9 PitBull RockBeasts by doing this. They are listed to be about a 4.5 inch tire. I am running all three leafs. Flex is not great, but the tires fit even when cycling the suspension fully by hand. It will not flex this much when running it. This is with all suspension and mounts stock and Axial SCX10 wheel hexes. I used those as they are about the same width as the TF2 thinner hexes but have a set screw to hold them in place. It is a very close fit but does work. More often though I run smaller tires such as either 1.9 Flat Irons or 1.55 Rock Stompers which are both about 4.2 inches tall. They just look more size correct to me.

The type of trim I am talking about. Fresh coat of paint on my TF2 as it was scratched and scuffed badly. It's already getting beat again after this pic.

1.55 Rock Stompers on 1.55 Steelies

1.9 Flat irons on Axial beadlocks

1.9 Pit Bulls Rock Beasts on GearHead ute's

1.9 TTC Claws (4.75 tall version) way to big and would rub badly without mods. Mainly at back of front wheel wells.

Last edited by Rook82; 01-03-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Great pics , thanks for posting them. The rock stompers you have there is about the size/look I want to go and the IROK 1.7 are the same height but a tad wider. Going by the 1/10 scale they will be a 41 inch tyre on a 17 inch rim, huge in real world terms but in RC land they are still pretty small. Thanks again for the pics, I gotta get busy , building to do.....
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking of getting some 1.5 iroks but think withe the stock suspension they would be to big. But the claws are about the same size. Thanks for posting this.
mygolfisslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I run 1.9 pitbulls and the main issue i see is the tires get into the leafsprings when turning. I run my front suspension with redrilled front springs to move the front axle ahead about 1/4" with red main leafs and a steel second leaf with no springs in the shocks and the shackles are at the back of the spring (where they should be) and i get tire rub but the tires dont hook the body so it works fine for me
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Max tire size? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DRX VE max batt size??? Creepy Inc. Non Crawler RC's 13 10-01-2012 05:26 PM
Different Chassis Max batt size irokcrawl Axial XR10 7 05-09-2012 12:28 PM
Max battery size motas Axial SCX-10 6 04-19-2011 05:29 PM