Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Can someone show me or tell me how to Shim the pinion in the diff, thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can someone show me or tell me how to Shim the pinion in the diff, thanks

I need instructions on how to shim the front and rear diffs, do they have to be totally unassembled to do this? Do i have to remove the c-clip? Thanks for input..... if u could link me a video or instructions would be greatly appreciated.
milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Can someone show me or tell me how to Shim the pinion in the diff, thanks

well, i'll say this bout the truble i had with mine. my rear seems to be shimmed correctly from the factory, but my front would slip the gears and "click" if you will, when one of the front tires would bight/bind.

so i took the front end completelt apart. in doing so, i found that "stock", the pinion shim was on the outside of the housing. between the clip and the bearing. and knowing that the slip/click was from the gear mesh being to loose, i removed the clip, then the shim, and then the pinion from the 3rd member. i then replaced the shim on the pinion, reinstalled the pinion in the 3rd member, and then reinstalled the clip.

and i then reassemble the complete axle housing, with a lil added grease, mounted the axle back in the truck, and everything seems to be working fine.

not sure as this is the same problem you're having, but i hope this helps in somewhat answering your question. and no, you can do this procedure without completely disassembling the axle. just remove the 3rd member, that's all that has to me removed from the axle to shim the pinion.
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Can someone show me or tell me how to Shim the pinion in the diff, thanks

Mine seem tight when i push/pull on the pinion, but i have not used the truck yet, once i do maybe things might loosen up, ill keep checking. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Mine touch wood have been fine stock, but I trail with friends who have TF2's and they have had to shim them.

The input shaft has a thin shim inside and fat outside in stock format. Simply strip down and swap if you hear any clicking.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I put both shims on the inside,works great.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
I put both shims on the inside,works great.
Yes, that's actuallywhat I did aswell. My gears still looked good when I done this, and I haven't had any trouble yet. But I've only run a couple packs threw it, but I have had it bound up and clicking or slippin.
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Mine was slipping bad until i done this,About to test it out.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

When i rebuilt the front diff on mine i added a thin shim behind the pinion head and another behind one of the bearings that supports the ring gearso the ring gear was pushed in towards the pinion a little more. It is tight but spins nicely and i dont expect a problem from there for awhile
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

great ideas man thanks, i dont notice much play in it now, havent actually used the truck yet still waiting on my electronics to arrive. Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I tried both shims behind the pinion gear and it was waaaay too tight. I just swapped them so that the thick one was inside and the thin one was outside.

I have no idea if it is better, but I hope so. I mean, is there any way to check. Just drive it and see if it grenades?
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Great info guys - like milestone i'm waiting for the electronics to arrive - but will wait to drive it a little before deciding to mess with the shims etc. Not too much play now but maybe after a few runs...
littlebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Getting the gears to mesh properly is especially important on the TF-2 since the metal they used is very soft and will self destruct quickly. Check the side-to side play on the ring gear and in/out play on the pinion. Once the sloppiness is shimmed out, a good dose of lube should keep things spinning freely
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #13

Buy these shims from a trex 450, they are exact size and very very thin, buy 2 packs for spare in case.

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...Shaft-Spacer-4
trailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Can someone show me or tell me how to Shim the pinion in the diff, thanks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinion shim rockerrc Tamiya TLT Crawlers 10 12-21-2012 07:41 AM
pinion shim runnerover Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 04-20-2010 09:44 AM
how to shim x factor diff ? robo-3 XTM Crawler 2 02-07-2006 07:16 AM