Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 RTR or kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TF2 RTR or kit?

Hey guys how are you?

I'm looking at getting a TF2 soon and would like input from you guys.

I'm looking at either the kit or the RTR.

-Since the RTR is cheaper, I could get it sooner and upgrade down the road.
-Being in Canada, the RTR kit is available through great hobbies for $539, but I haven't been able to locate a canadian store that can order the kit for cheaper than me buying it from RC4WD.
-The kit, with a decent radio(was looking at the Spektrum DX4C for around $140CA) and a good motor(HH Torque master expert 35T with their BRXL and a CC BEC $200CA) would run me around 900-1000$ and probably take me another month or two to get.

Main questions here are:
-are the kit's electronics decent enough that I can have fun with the truck without raging at it because of a lack of control/power?
-is the 2 speed trans that much better vs the single speed to warrant waiting a few months for it?

I would, with the RTR, upgrade to a better motor eventually, but seeing as my ridgecrest still sports the stock motor after 2+ years and it isn't bothering me yet, is the RTR enough fun?

Thanks for your input and you can also suggest other motor/esc and TX/RX around the same price if those aren't good or a good reason to spend more, especially for the TX/RX, I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TF2 RTR or kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post
Hey guys how are you?

-Being in Canada, the RTR kit is available through great hobbies for $539, but I haven't been able to locate a canadian store that can order the kit for cheaper than me buying it from RC4WD.
-The kit, with a decent radio(was looking at the Spektrum DX4C for around $140CA) and a good motor(HH Torque master expert 35T with their BRXL and a CC BEC $200CA) would run me around 900-1000$ and probably take me another month or two to get.

Main questions here are:
-are the kit's electronics decent enough that I can have fun with the truck without raging at it because of a lack of control/power?
-is the 2 speed trans that much better vs the single speed to warrant waiting a few months for it?

I would, with the RTR, upgrade to a better motor eventually, but seeing as my ridgecrest still sports the stock motor after 2+ years and it isn't bothering me yet, is the RTR enough fun?

Thanks for your input and you can also suggest other motor/esc and TX/RX around the same price if those aren't good or a good reason to spend more, especially for the TX/RX, I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area.
I personally really like the 2 speed trans. It's such a low range it's amazing to watch it work. I can't comment on the electronics as both mine were the kit versions. I would say seeing as you have the experience of having built some RC kits in the past, the RTR, if cheaper, would be the better deal for you. If you have issues in the future, you at least have the know how to do the repairs. It really is a simple kit to build and maintain. I couldn't stress enough to go over the RTR kit with a fine tooth comb and check that all your hardware is nice and tight... including the slipper clutch, both my clutches were super loose for some reason. I've always been a fan of Castle Creations electronics, but once again, I haven't used much else to compare it too. Hope this helped a little!

Last edited by tokdl; 01-03-2015 at 07:58 PM.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hey guys how are you?

Main questions here are:

I bought the rtr here in canada the radio seems decent and has a usable third channel I currently run a spektrum dx4s in mine that I already had and moved the rc4wd rx/tx into my wifes cc01 esc works well although an adjustable drag brake would have been nice I have also upgraded this to a castle sidewinder and bec not that anything was wrong with the stock esc just wanted to go waterproof the steering servo also works well lol it too ended up in the wifes cc01 and a savox hi torque wp ended up in the tf2 just dont expect crazy suspension flex like a scx10 this truck handles like a truck and is an incredibly fun challenge to navigate over the terrain. And yes the kit cost versus the rtr and availability was what sold me on the rtr version
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I don't trust them to put the truck together properly.. too many aluminum holes to strip out. It's bad enough they assemble the axles, transmission, and transfer case on the kit.

The 2-speed is awesome, it's my favorite feature of the truck. I miss it when I drive one of my Axial rigs.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

X2 on the 2-speed tranny. I went kit as I have with all of my builds, and I like the 2-speed so much that I am building my Ascender with a 2-speed just because. I don't have any experience with RC4WD electronics. I run the HH BRXL and Crawlmaster Pro 16T in my TF2 (as well as in a couple of other rigs) and love the combo. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

even though its been a few years since i had any rc4wd electronics, I dont recall them being so bad that they were useless.

in your case, due to availability, i would go RTR and upgrade as needed/budgeted. motor/esc/servo/radio as needed, you can always try to find someone willing to trade single speed for 2-speed on here.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks a lot for your answers. Mixed answers here which is what I was guessing. Seeing the trend of people who loved the 2 speed though I think I'll try the kit, not leaving the RTR out of the question yet though but I contacted a few hobby shops to see if they could get the kit version instead of just looking online.

I also am looking at the TF2 for the realism of a normal trail truck, not crazy flex, as I already have that in my ridge, but it makes building a tough obstacle course a lot harder(takes more rocks lol).

Thanks again, if any of you have more tips, it might help either me or any member having the same questions.

Last edited by benster; 01-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your answers. Mixed answers here which is what I was guessing. Seeing the trend of people who loved the 2 speed though I think I'll try the kit, not leaving the RTR out of the question yet though but I contacted a few hobby shops to see if they could get the kit version instead of just looking online.

I also am looking at the TF2 for the realism of a normal trail truck, not crazy flex, as I already have that in my ridge, but it makes building a tough obstacle course a lot harder(takes more rocks lol).

Thanks a gain, if any of you have more tips, it might help either me or any member having the same questions.
I think your onto it
I got my kit TF2 when they were 1st released and have kept the suspension pretty much stock.
I,ve got a couple of courses in my backyard that are an absolute blast with the TF2 , were as my modified SCX10,s are as boring as batshit
As a result my TF2 is my Daily Driver so to speak
Name:  105_1046.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  179.0 KB

Name:  109_0941.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  130.4 KB

Name:  109_0923.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  51.1 KB
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
I bought the rtr here in canada the radio seems decent and has a usable third channel I currently run a spektrum dx4s in mine that I already had and moved the rc4wd rx/tx into my wifes cc01 esc works well although an adjustable drag brake would have been nice I have also upgraded this to a castle sidewinder and bec not that anything was wrong with the stock esc just wanted to go waterproof the steering servo also works well lol it too ended up in the wifes cc01 and a savox hi torque wp ended up in the tf2 just dont expect crazy suspension flex like a scx10 this truck handles like a truck and is an incredibly fun challenge to navigate over the terrain. And yes the kit cost versus the rtr and availability was what sold me on the rtr version
How do you like the Spektrum? I wouldn't get the S but am really looking into the C for its cheap price(found one at $110CA at hobby alley) and it seems to be a pretty good one. I only ever used the stock controllers that came with the RTRs I bought so any info would be good. Is it easy to set-up for a winch for example?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Lunatick, how do you like the 1.9s as opposed to the 1.55? I like the scale look of slightly smaller tires but don't want to get hung up everywhere either as I'm seeing in videos. Mostly wondering about fitment and durability of the diffs with 1.9s. Might be looking at big 1.55s like the iroks/pitbulls or maybe even the 4.5" baja claws, although they look a little too big for my taste. Maybe the size of the 1.9" rims change the ratio of how big the tire looks too.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I put a set of pitbull Growlers on the original TF2 kit rims and i love them
overall diameter is the same as the 1.9s that are on it in the photos . It seems the Growlers were made for this truck coz they have transformed it
The extra ground clearence with the bigger tires is a godsend
As for the drivetrain it has held up pretty well considering the life its had , i have gone thru 2 ring and pinions in the front diff and of course the stock plastic driveshafts were toast after all of about 5 mins. But in its defence when i 1st built it i was running a 2500 kv outrunner ,sidewinder esc on 3 cell lipos and i wasn,t easy on it I would hate to know how many batteries have gone thru it
Couple of months ago i sort of stopped using it , then i came across a 2nd hand RTR wraith , i ended up putting the Axial esc and 20 turn motor in the TF2 with the intention of selling it , quick test run in the back yard to make sure it was running alright , and i quickly realised that i couldn,t sell it coz i love it to much
Old 01-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Might be looking at big 1.55s like the iroks/pitbulls or maybe even the 4.5" baja claws,
unless you plan on a body lift and some form of suspension lift or massive body trimming, the 4.5" claws and the 1.55 iroks are too big. the 1.55 pitbull growlers are about as big as I would go with stock setup.

all stock you will probably want to keep tire OD to 4.25" or less.

ive hade a few different wheel/tire combos on mine. yet another TF2 thread.......

Last edited by nharkey85; 01-04-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Lunatick, how do you like the 1.9s as opposed to the 1.55? I like the scale look of slightly smaller tires but don't want to get hung up everywhere either as I'm seeing in videos. Mostly wondering about fitment and durability of the diffs with 1.9s. Might be looking at big 1.55s like the iroks/pitbulls or maybe even the 4.5" baja claws, although they look a little too big for my taste. Maybe the size of the 1.9" rims change the ratio of how big the tire looks too.

Thanks
1.55 vs. 1.9 is just wheel size, and tire height will matter much more for performance and ground clearance than wheel size. I have 1.9s anywhere from 3.85" (stock Gelande) to 4.75" (Pro-line TSL Super Swamper XLs), and 1.55s anywhere from 3.67" (stock TF2) to 4.4" (IROKs). I like the 4"-4.1" range for the TF2 for reasonably good performance without killing the scale looks. Any taller starts to look monster truck-ish to my eyes. Hope that helps.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Anything bigger than 4.2 ( 1.55 growlers , 1.9 MT baja claws or Pro Line swampers ) is pretty much a waste of time if your gonna stick with the leaf spring front end , because you get bugger all steering lock till the tire is hitting the leafs
1.9 small pro line swampers
Name:  105_1024.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  105_1035.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  177.9 KB
1.9 4.19 Baja Claws
Name:  P1011168.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  120.4 KB

Just realized i haven,t got a photo of it on its Growlers
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How do you like the Spektrum? I wouldn't get the S but am really looking into the C for its cheap price(found one at $110CA at hobby alley) and it seems to be a pretty good one. I only ever used the stock controllers that came with the RTRs I bought so any info would be good. Is it easy to set-up for a winch for example?

Thanks in advance.
Love the spektrum easy to set up and use started with a dx3c and bought a dx4s when I bought my son his scx10 and hobby alley has always given me an awesome buying experience as well as customer service the manager wayne is quick to respond with questions and issues
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

As for tires I went the opposite way and got a set of 1.55 mickey thompson baja mtzs love the look more like some ones daily driver but the tires grab like crazy
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
As for tires I went the opposite way and got a set of 1.55 mickey thompson baja mtzs love the look more like some ones daily driver but the tires grab like crazy
Now that ive built up an scx based rig ive considered those 1.55 mtzs or the 1.55 dirt grabbers and going spring under axle
Old 01-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I don't like 1.9's on the TF2, just don't look right to me.. I ran the stock tires first, they are impressive, but too short for what I do with the truck... So I tried 1.55 rock stompers. Awesome looking tires, but performance is ehhh.. Then I tried 1.55 Growlers, not impressed with them either. I've got 1.55 mudslingers now, and they are off to a promising start. The first couple runs I took them on were great. i can't wait to continue evaluating them in the spring. They are about as big as I'd want on this truck, any bigger and there will be serious rubbing issues.

Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Nice, I'm getting awesome responses and I love it.

Talking about hobby alley, I just got an e-mail from Wayne and he told me they do stock the TF2 kit in case any Canadian is looking for one.
They are out of stock until at least 3rd week of Jan though, which isn't a problem for me.

I wasn't really planning on anything bigger than 4.1 as you said cause they do make the truck look a lot more like a monster truck than anything else.

I was at one point driving an 85 4runner which I might try to re-model(trying to do a unibody mojave maybe?) and 37s would be as tall as I would've gone. Seeing how small they look on the stock truck I'd go for a 4.1" most likely, meaning around 42" tire in 1:1 but no bigger. I love the input from you guys with my questions. This community is so awesome, loved it the minute I found it with all the help you guys provide and everything that is already on this forum is insane!!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
Now that ive built up an scx based rig ive considered those 1.55 mtzs or the 1.55 dirt grabbers and going spring under axle
Exactly my plan thinking it would be the ultimate trailing experience really make a guy think about the best line to take

TF2 RTR or kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features. nukexbi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-09-2008 01:27 PM