Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: What Does it Take to Make the TF2 Perform

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What Does it Take to Make the TF2 Perform

Always interested in this kit but always turned off that it won't handle as well as a SCX. I know the intent of the truck is for more trail but what can be done to make it perform well?
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What Does it Take to Make the TF2 Perform

I've had three SCX10s and now two TF2s, so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this question.

Opinion:
Basically, the two trucks, although very similar in many aspects, are actually serving a different purpose. The SCX10 was built from the ground up to perform well, then fit in scale looks secondary. The axle mount points are much wider than that of the TF2, and the sheer fact that they use a four link suspension vs. The TF2 very rigid leaf setup puts them in different classes.

The TF2 was built from the ground up to be the most scale looking and functioning truck on the market. If you look down the road at your house, you'll spot several pick up trucks in your neighbors' driveway. That's what the TF2 is after. The scx10 is more like your cousin Brian's custom jeep build Sitting in his back yard.

To answer your question now: you could set up your TF2 with different tires and play around with the shocks. There are different leafs you can try and also shooter shackles will help a ton. You can even go to four link suspension (aalthough unnecessary).

Quite frankly, I am completely impressed with the capabilities of my stock TF2. It can do just about anything my scx10 can do.

Don't discount the truck as much as you are thinking. Even at its price tag, I'm considering getting a third TF2 whereas I would never consider getting an axial again.

Side note:

My scx10 makes my friends say "cool!"

My TF2 makes them say "Wow!"

Hope this helped some.
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Exactly. At first I was thinking like you and was even planning to add a 4 link like an scx10. However I totally fell in love at the way my tf2 runs and even made more than a couple guys in our club to switch over to tf2s. In fact our hobby shop are always out of stock and when they are not, they seek tf2s within a couple of days...

As far as capabilities, stock for stock... Driving in the same line, the scx10 would beat the tf2. The tf2 forces you to think more scale and makes you actually choose a line much like in real life. With the scx10, you just take a line and go for it.

My tf2 now can hang with the other scx10s in our club and at some areas even do better than them. And I'm still running leafs. It also seems like the tf2 guys seem to actually drive better now and can actually traverse an obstacle now better than an scx10 driver... Scx10 drivers just seem to always power through obstacles. Not everyone but it's just what I noticed.
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

^^^ x2 to what they said. For more specific info about setup options, check out our TF2 guide:
http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...ide-to-the-TF2

(The sticky in this section has a link to the guide also.) My build thread also goes through my progression to get more performance out of mine:
TF2 = time to push my scale envelope

I'm very pleased with its performance at this point. I can take my leaf sprung TF2 just about anywhere my heavily modded SCX-10 goes, and I have a lot more fun with the TF2.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I,ve got both a heavily modified SCX 10
and a reasonably set up TF2 ( still on leafs)
I love my TF2 for the simple fact that i have a couple of little courses in my yard
that i can have an absolute ball mucking around on with my TF2 , (like has been said you have to pick good lines ) Were as the same courses with my SCX 10 are as boring as batshit.
I think of my TF2 as my daily driver and my SCX 10 as my hardcore comp type rig.
No one loves there TF2 as much as me, BUT to say its a match performance wise as a well set up SCX 10 with a lexan shell is in my opinion bullshit
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatick View Post
I,ve got both a heavily modified SCX 10
and a reasonably set up TF2 ( still on leafs)
I love my TF2 for the simple fact that i have a couple of little courses in my yard
that i can have an absolute ball mucking around on with my TF2 , (like has been said you have to pick good lines ) Were as the same courses with my SCX 10 are as boring as batshit.
I think of my TF2 as my daily driver and my SCX 10 as my hardcore comp type rig.
No one loves there TF2 as much as me, BUT to say its a match performance wise as a well set up SCX 10 with a lexan shell is in my opinion bullshit
Yes I agree that a full modded scx10 will beat a full modded tf2 If it's the same driver for sure.

It just seems like most scx10 drivers (in my area anyways) seem to like the "bash more - power through" obstacles style rather than the slow crawling, line picking technical style the tf2 drivers learned. Of course there are exceptions tho. The tf2 just forces you to pick a line instead of always, "I wonder if I can go over that?" the tf2 makes you think, "I wonder if it's possible to go over that and if not, I wonder if there's a way around it?" kind of thinking.

Either way, I've completely stopped running my scx10s in place of my tf2. I just love how that leaf sprung truck drives!
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #7

I have two SCX10's (Trail Honcho and JK Rubicon) and I plan on selling both to get another TF2 or Gelande II. I'm not hating on the SCX10 I have had a blast with them while it lasted but the more you wheel the more you appreciate the way the TF2 is much more scale, in looks and the way it drives...

It's one of the few trucks around that you can have a blast with trailing / crawling then place it on your shelf and admire it's scale appearance....
aka_boogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've got two TF2's and two SCX10's, hands down my TF2's are the best RC's I've ever owned. The scale aspect of these leafed rigs on a trail sold me long ago. Don't get me wrong, I love my SCX10's but making the TF2's do things that the SCX10 could do with ease makes this rig my all time favorites. As long as I have them, they will never be linked. The first rigs I grab and the last one's I put away
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote

What Does it Take to Make the TF2 Perform - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
make scx perform @high speeds izeman Axial SCX-10 34 01-20-2010 11:26 AM
How does your losi perform with.... KastanPro Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 08-06-2009 08:10 PM
how are these supposed to perform?? maxxmeat General Crawlers 11 05-31-2007 05:11 PM
LST tires, how do they perform? dieselfuel Tires and Wheels 13 07-05-2006 12:57 AM
how does a clod perform? xtremecrawler504 Tamiya Clod Buster 3 07-06-2005 04:36 PM