Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: new to tf2, wheelbase too long and suspension sags ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Default new to tf2, wheelbase too long and suspension sags ?

Hi, so I just assembled my first trail finder and sat the blazer body on and the wb is a abit off? -Have I made a mistake building this or what? The wb is 294mm not the 287 I think is correct?

Also the front suspension sags really low,the shocks have few drops of oil and stock springs in but it is still bottomed out.

Will add pics asap

Last edited by fleetside; 03-03-2016 at 10:02 AM.
fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #2

Default Re: new to tf2, wheelbase too long and suspension sags ?

I just realised something, the blazer body manual states that the front bumper mount needs to be removed from chassis(so I did not even install that part on this brand new truck). The mount preloads the shackles so it needs to go back.

will post more info when I have time to try and put the mount back on. Dunno if that has affect on the wheelbase also.

-Pate
Old 03-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Hi mate.

Right first up you've done nothing wrong, you've taken the bits out of their bags and built as per the instructions, You've also clocked on that the front and rear bumper mounts need removing, so thats all good.

Ok so you can adjust ride height by removing the leafs (the big main ones, not the helpers) and tweek them with your fingers and thumbs to create a tighter or shallower radius........keep reading.
Because the leafs are fixed at the inner end, the tighter the radius you bend into them the shorter the wheelbase will become whilst also increasing ride height.

So assuming that made sense, your next question might be I don't want too much ride height (though I think you do from your post) but assuming you didn't want more ride height but did want to reduce the wheelbase you can tweek your leafs but only at the fixed end and concentrate on bending them at the "eyelet" at the end......you may need long nose grips to do this.
Bending the leafs is routine maintenance as they flatten out after time, so expect to do this again. I would also suggest no helpers at all in the rear and only the longer one underneath up front.

I know TF2's inside out, and i"m a stickler for the wheelbase being spot on. I too had to do this to get my wheels to sit central to thew wheel arch.

Be aware though under extreme compression or slack the wheelbase must alter.

Another little tip for this shell, if you think the wheels stick under the shell too much, you can build those wheels in reverse so they are a deeper dish.

Hope the helps, this mine just about right now.

Last edited by northernerbill; 03-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

Thank you !

Now I get it.

My goal is to keep this close to ground, no lift kits here.

This is my first leaf sprung 1:10 (My prior leaf knowleage limits to 3 tamiya tractor trucks)

I have watched closely at your build ,and earlier today I saw the flipped wheels and thought they look cool!

I will most likely post a build thread soon also when I get all the bits in house.

Thanks again, most helpful.

-Pate
Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Good info here. I've actually been having the opposite problem with my front suspension where even with the shocks removed entirely, the truck won't fleet a bit. I didn't want to mess around with the springs too much for fear that I'd ruin them, but I'll have to give that a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flifisher312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The rc4wd k44 axles will fix your wheelbase and height issues with the blazer body.

Just kidding!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

new to tf2, wheelbase too long and suspension sags ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short vs Long wheelbase? maddmaxx46 Newbie General 17 05-31-2014 07:16 PM
Long vs short wheelbase soundmaster Axial SCX-10 11 10-29-2013 08:39 PM
Link set for long wheelbase? strap624 Axial SCX-10 3 11-27-2011 06:21 AM
Long Wheelbase Crawler Kit KJMCRAWLER HPI Wheely King 0 07-01-2008 03:56 AM
19" WheelBase to long? team-nyke Tamiya Clod Buster 2 12-19-2004 02:14 PM