Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 Class 1 Flatbed Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TF2 Class 1 Flatbed Build

After a long time of being into crawling I finally got my first leaf sprung truck. Of course it's a TF2. This truck started it's life as a RTR TF2 and I got it for a steal locally. I was going to build an SCX10 based Class 1 rig for 2018 but this will now be my competition truck. So here we go....

A pretty red stock TF2 RTR.

First thing to swap was the electronics. I put in a Hitec 7954 and a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. The stock motor stays for now until I decide what I want.

The next to thing to go was the stock wheel/tire combo. The new setup is 1.55 Gearhead UTE wheels wrapped in Pit Bull Rock Beasts with SSD scale hubs. I have the scale hardware coming in the mail. Looking better already!

Up next is the big stuff. I tossed that stock red body into the parts pile and just happened to have a brand new full Mojave II body set sitting around waiting to be used. I'm a bit of a body whore. I'm only gonna need the cab so a quick mock up was in order. I made the shocks sit flush with the top of the frame rails for the building stage of this truck. The normal shock cross-member will go back in once the flatbed is built...

Needed a proper pile of metal to get started...

Now the fun stuff. Decided to start with the fenders because that's the prettiest part of the flatbed. Bent some metal and stuck it to some other metal...

Should be about the right size....

Next I started on the flatbed box frame with a mockup...

Those fenders are gonna need some inner wells. These took a whole bunch of filing...

And another mock up. This time with the fenders done and the cab hoop started...

And that's all for now. I ran out of building materials and need to restock. hopefully the next update will have the cab hoop attached and some of the support bars started. I also have a spare wheel and tire in the mail I'll need to finish.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TF2 Class 1 Flatbed Build

Great choice in wheels! I have UTES on my lux as well and loved the look!

The bed is looking stellar as well!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Very nice brass work!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #4

Damn that is nice brass work. Looking awesome so far!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

More progress today. added the top rack I wanted. Not 100% sure I love it yet. added mounting points in the rear. Still need to add a set of mounts towards the front of the bed. Almost cut all the wood pieces but had to braze in another cross member before I could finish those two front corners. Then all that's left is make a cutout where the shocks will stick through and make a utility box to house electronics that will sit behind the cab.

Man, that was a lot of work for two pictures...
Old 11-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That looks good! I think your supports to the top rack could possibly be the next size thicker.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
That looks good! I think your supports to the top rack could possibly be the next size thicker.
There will be more bars all over the place. They won't look as out of place. I agree as is they look a little off.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Awesome work on the flat bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Got the flat bed pretty much done. Needs a little filler and some finishing work. Then I'll stain the boards and install everything. I'm going to build a styrene box that goes up against the cab as an electronics box.

This is the bed primed and where the spare tire will go. Still need to build the spare tire mount. I ditched the top rack. I couldn't make it look right. Tried a few different setups.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

And here's something going in my Class 2 build... sneak peak.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Had some build time today. Hammered out the electronics box, twice. Made it too tall the first time and needed to modify it by an inch.

Too tall....

Shorter with a new bottom... oops.

First round of sanding on the box. It needs a little filler and more sanding but looks pretty good so far...

So close to being done...
Old 11-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

awesome work with the fenders! Is that basswood? if so before staining do you use wood conditioner? in arch school I used it to find the "good" pieces of wood, whereas the others would just absorb and never come out right...
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Wood planks all cut and now stained. They'll get epoxied in after they dry. Bed box also has a few coats of paint on it. Needs a little tiny bit of finish sanding and then that'll be done as well.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:15 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Great job brotha!!!
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:36 AM   #15
gaz

That’s looking awesome!

Could I ask what method you use for the staining? I’ve heard you can use coffee, tea, amongst others, or is it just wood Stain?

Thank you.
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
That’s looking awesome!

Could I ask what method you use for the staining? I’ve heard you can use coffee, tea, amongst others, or is it just wood Stain?

Thank you.
I just used a wood stain from Minwax. I had some sitting around. I actually wanted a slightly darker color but whatever. It came out good after a bit of dry brushing.

Well, the bed is basically done. Tire mount is done. Bed box is mounted. A hi-lift jack will go where the rear mount screws are. The tail lights are in the mail too. I started on the cab body work. Man I'm tired of sanding things...

Old 11-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
RCC Addict

That bed looks great! Kudos!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

When I made the battery box for the bed I used a bunch of rare earth magnets to hold the lid on during rollover situations. The month came out nicely....

Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Been busy and haven't updated in a while. Been making slow and steady progress....

Electronics needed an update. I had already put a Hobbywing 1080 ESC in so I changed the motor to a rebuildable Gool RC 27T (my first try with these highly rated cheap motors) and a Savox 1230 servo that I waterproofed with silicone conformal coating.

The suspension definitely needs some help so in went a pair of RC4WD Terraflex Z Boxes. More suspension mods to come.

The stock bumper wasn't gonna cut it for this build so on went an RC4WD Warn bumper and the first coats of paint on the cab. I'm going to change the bed box color to red I think and everything will get some healthy weathering effects. I have a winch for the bumper and a hi-lift jack from RC4WD in the mail.

Got a set of lights installed. The housings still need to be painted black to match the bed. But they work. Thinking about pod lights as reverse/rock lights under the rear bumper.

That's all for now. I got some paint on the interior and that will be the next big hurdle after finishing the cab paint work. After that, final assembly.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Wow really loving this build, looks great. Can't wait to see it finished. The custom flat bed and touches just add to the to detail.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

TF2 Class 1 Flatbed Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Szczerba's Flatbed TF2 Szczerba RC4WD Trail Finder 2 106 06-16-2017 11:19 PM
TF2 Flatbed? stobert2012 Newbie General 5 09-29-2016 04:38 PM
TF2 Flatbed Postclanker RC4WD Trail Finder 2 308 02-18-2015 10:14 PM
Sam's new TF2 build for class 1 southcrawler RC4WD Trail Finder 2 11 01-16-2013 03:32 PM
LMoosekey's RC4WD TF2 Class 1 Build Moosekey RC4WD Trail Finder 2 40 10-26-2012 01:45 PM