Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Kit vs RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Kit vs RTR

Do the kits of Rc4wd rigs have any better components than the rtrs? I know probably asked a million x’s...never had Rc4wd scaler..
macz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Kit vs RTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by macz View Post
Do the kits of Rc4wd rigs have any better components than the rtrs? I know probably asked a million x’s...never had Rc4wd scaler..
Kits usually end up with the 2 speed trans

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I don't mean to be Debby Downer, but the few kit builds I've read about recently lead me to believe the kit is not the way to go in this instance. It almost sounds as if "B grade" parts from the rtr assembly line just get thrown in the kit box for the customer to figure out. Jato's thread kinda gave me that vibe anyway, might be worth a quick read through: Jato The Trail Finder 2 - Leaf Spring Mafia Edition
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The RTR Marlin is the best buy of all the TF2 editions currently.

The Marlin has the taller front shock towers with longer front shocks (basically a required mod on the kit for better suspension travel), better Yota 2 axles, softer leaf springs (a $30 option on the kit), a metal front bumper and mount, a better looking body with a bobbed bed for better departure angle, and high clearance skid to replace the awful one from the kit.

The kit does give you "upgrade" of the 2 speed but I like the single speed better so my kit 2 speed is sitting in the bin of spares.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I don't mean to be Debby Downer, but the few kit builds I've read about recently lead me to believe the kit is not the way to go in this instance. It almost sounds as if "B grade" parts from the rtr assembly line just get thrown in the kit box for the customer to figure out. Jato's thread kinda gave me that vibe anyway, might be worth a quick read through: Jato The Trail Finder 2 - Leaf Spring Mafia Edition
I think both the kit and RTRs get the same low-quality parts, but the Chinese kids force the stuff to fit.

If you insist on getting an RC4WD rig I would only get the Marlin 2 as it has the upgraded axles. I have no experience with them, but I hate the first gen Yota axles on my TF2.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think both the kit and RTRs get the same low-quality parts, but the Chinese kids force the stuff to fit.

If you insist on getting an RC4WD rig I would only get the Marlin 2 as it has the upgraded axles. I have no experience with them, but I hate the first gen Yota axles on my TF2.
I got the d110 chassis and it has the yota 2 axles and honestly...... Ive gotten both brand new and basically done the same xvd upgrade to each still havent REALLY been able to run them since we have a emmence amount of snow right now lol and ordering the defective upgraded diff and pinion gear setback.... After pulling both apart the only difference the steering link mounted behind the axle lmao

Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersinsanity View Post
I got the d110 chassis and it has the yota 2 axles and honestly...... Ive gotten both brand new and basically done the same xvd upgrade to each still havent REALLY been able to run them since we have a emmence amount of snow right now lol and ordering the defective upgraded diff and pinion gear setback.... After pulling both apart the only difference the steering link mounted behind the axle lmao
The are the same for the most part. Yota IIs have a better housing (1 piece main housing with removable diff cover and 3rd member) vs the terrible fitting clamshell design of the Yotas. The Yota IIs can go up to 45* of steering with the XVDs while the Yotas don't even get to 40*.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The are the same for the most part. Yota IIs have a better housing (1 piece main housing with removable diff cover and 3rd member) vs the terrible fitting clamshell design of the Yotas. The Yota IIs can go up to 45* of steering with the XVDs while the Yotas don't even get to 40*.
I have noticed that steering issue lol when uea try and you steer to far she twists the whole axle over

Old 03-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Kits usually end up with the 2 speed trans
Yep.

Quote:
The RTR Marlin is the best buy of all the TF2 editions currently.

The Marlin has the taller front shock towers with longer front shocks (basically a required mod on the kit for better suspension travel), better Yota 2 axles, softer leaf springs (a $30 option on the kit), a metal front bumper and mount, a better looking body with a bobbed bed for better departure angle, and high clearance skid to replace the awful one from the kit.

The kit does give you "upgrade" of the 2 speed but I like the single speed better so my kit 2 speed is sitting in the bin of spares.
Completely greed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Agreed on poor quality control and tolerances. While my TF2 (RTR) is one of my most enjoyable crawlers to run, the build reminds me of a wooden boat model experience where I received a box of wood blocks with instructions to cut and then sand all blocks to shape before assembly. Some bearings were too tight causing them to disintegrate prematurely (axle, needed powder coated scraped out of pockets and then carefully/gently machined to size with end-mill bit) and others literally fell into and flopped around the bearing pocket (transfer case) and required the plastic bag shim trick. All the screws are made of a very soft steel and therefore strip/bend easily, I replaced them all. After rebuilding my entire truck with careful fitment of all bearings, etcetera it's a great truck and very fun. I bought the truck knowing most of the problems and took time to make it all fit properly.

Quote:
... Ive gotten both brand new and basically done the same xvd upgrade to each still havent REALLY been able to run them since....... ordering the defective upgraded diff and pinion gear setback.... After pulling both apart the only difference the steering link mounted behind the axle lmao
XVD mod is required for either Yota1 or Yota2 front axle imo, gives little more steering and much smoother. BTA steering option is sweet, but I've not missed it on my Yota1 XVD equipped axles since moving the tie-rod above the leaf springs which is a free and easy mod.

Quote:
Yes mostly the same. The Yota1 housing is two piece but thicker aluminum and therefore maybe more durable? Maybe, the quality of the aluminum alloy used to mold them is somewhat questionable and soft. I had to clean up the powdercoat in all bearing pockets of axles so that the bearings weren't crushed and deformed (egg-shaped) as the housings were screwed together. This problem resulted in the self-destruction of my original front axle, at least RC4WD replaced it after I contacted them about it, but the replacement had to be entirely reworked and clearanced too! I also bought one of the improperly machined spiral cut ring/pinion gear sets and they replaced that too. In the end, I love this little truck, but for the money it took way too much fiddling, fixing the factory's poor QC.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Kit vs RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith kit or RTR kit champ198 Axial Wraith 2 05-02-2013 02:02 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features. nukexbi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-09-2008 01:27 PM