Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: New toy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Default New toy

I picked up a TF2 Marlin the other day. My first RC4WD truck and also my first leaf sprung truck. I went over and through the truck checking for loose fasteners, which were many, checked the grease in the front and rear axle housings, transfer case and trans. Not sure how to properly shim the pinions in the axle housings as mine are retained by snap rings. My first run through the woods was with the included battery. I was impressed by how well the truck handled the terrain in my woods, but underwhelmed by the power available. My second run was with a 3s lipo. More power on tap but still lacking wheel speed to clear the tire treads in mud. I spent an evening with the truck on the bench, tapering the spring eyes, aka the chino mod, and clocked the motor to lower the center of gravity in hopes of reducing the trucks tendency to roll over when side hilling.
I elected to replace the 45t stock brushed motor and speed controller with a Castle Mamba X and a 2800 kv Slate motor I had handy. I also dropped the motor pinion down to a 10 tooth from the stock 14. This combo really makes the truck a blast to drive. Geared down the top speed is not excessive, and slow speed crawling over rocks and obstacles is smooth and easy to control.
I ordered up a few more goodies to enhance the performance and durability. I have a skid plate and front shackle reversal kit coming from A&M Garage, and a set of driveshafts from Supershafty.
laedco58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #2

Default Re: New toy

Look up videos on youtube on how to shim the gears, since you are running brushless, you really help yourself to keep those axel gears alive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hermosillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the TF2 club, hope you enjoy it.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You’re going to love it . In my opinion Rc4wd is the best trail truck out there . I’ve got a regular tf2 , a desert runner , a marlin and the cross country and I love them all
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Got two years of abuse on my Marlin edition, it's easily my favorite rig and I've driven most all of the options out there.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Gotta love leafed rigs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote

New toy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Toy Dezert Concepts Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 06-08-2013 12:23 AM
New toy Gula Chit Chat 2 04-25-2012 09:30 PM
Toy crawlers r1 to formula toy Toycrawler5481 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2011 06:49 PM