Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Slipper smoked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2022, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Slipper smoked

So during running in some deep-ish snow this weekend my slipper died... I really didn't use it, kept it fairly tight, but the pad broke apart. So now seeing that everything for the r3 2 speed is backordered, what is everyone using or doing withe a blown slipper? Epoxy it? Gasket material?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
BogeysBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2022, 06:40 AM   #2

Default Re: Slipper smoked

Are the two speed slipper and the single speed slipper clutches different? I don't think they are, I think they might be the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hermosillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosillo View Post
Are the two speed slipper and the single speed slipper clutches different? I don't think they are, I think they might be the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I just searched for either one speed or 2 and didn't find anything... It looks like if it is different then it only comes with the trans? When I Google searches for ax2 slipper everyone is backordered

Old 01-31-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Any idea of the pad size used? I would think you could use a different brand's slipper pad, so long as it was about the same size and shape - at least as a short term solution. From images it looks like the RC4WD pads are pretty thick, but I don't own one so can't be sure.

What about using a slipper eliminator? You might have to change the way you drive a little but would get you back up and running.
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
Any idea of the pad size used? I would think you could use a different brand's slipper pad, so long as it was about the same size and shape - at least as a short term solution. From images it looks like the RC4WD pads are pretty thick, but I don't own one so can't be sure.

What about using a slipper eliminator? You might have to change the way you drive a little but would get you back up and running.
I was actually about to email liquid to see if they knew if there slipper eliminator would work... Just trying to save 20 buck just incase it didn't...

Old 01-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have the AX2 tranny in my wraith and ruined the slipper, ended up ordering some spares but then converted to an Axial spur gear and slipper.

I can check the measurement of the slipper later tonight if you'd like to see if its the same.

the design is kind of bad on the RC4WD slipper, it may be for the best to upgrade to different one or just lock it out.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-31-2022 at 01:51 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I have the AX2 tranny in my wraith and ruined the slipper, ended up ordering some spares but then converted to an Axial spur gear and slipper.

I can check the measurement of the slipper later tonight if you'd like to see if its the same.

the design is kind of bad on the RC4WD slipper, it may be for the best to upgrade to different one or just lock it out.
I believe the ax2 and the r3 2 speed are the same.. I didn't even think of switching to a axial... I would like to keep the slipper now since I'm well over powered with the brushless I just got, but it really doesn't matter if not... If you don't mind let me know what you did and I'll go that route

Last night I was thinking of drilling and tapping the slipper and just screwing both half's together.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Okay I opened up my Wraith and it turns out to be the same size as the RC4WD slipper. You could use the Axial slipper pad im pretty sure, its the same dimensions and its in stock at Amain. I assume all you'd need to do is scrape off the old one and the new one has adhesive on one side to stick in on. https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-s...xi30412/p23157

RC4WD on the left Axial on the right

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-31-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Okay I opened up my Wraith and it turns out to be the same size as the RC4WD slipper. You could use the Axial slipper pad im pretty sure, its the same dimensions. I assume all you'd need to do is scrape off the old one and the new one has adhesive on one side to stick in on. https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-s...xi30412/p23157
Sweet... Thanks for looking at that... When it went it chunked all of the pad out... So clean up will be easy to non lol

Old 02-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
SSD
RCC Addict

Yes all rc4wd slippers are the same as axial as I copied the axial stuff at rc4wd in 2010
But the spur bolt pattern I copied from Traxxas I think.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Yes all rc4wd slippers are the same as axial as I copied the axial stuff at rc4wd in 2010
Sweet that helps! There was a whole axial kit on Amazon

Old 02-02-2022, 04:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
So how close are the axial ring and pinion to the rc4wd? Other gear ratios would be nice at times.. let alone being able to run a steel gear.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeysBrew View Post
So how close are the axial ring and pinion to the rc4wd? Other gear ratios would be nice at times.. let alone being able to run a steel gear.

I dont think it is but there are much better ways to change gearing/wheelspeed.

The (tranny) spur gear and pinion would have the biggest effect along side a different speed motor. Then there are overdrive and underdrive options for the transfer case if you want the axles spinning at different speed (not great for trailing)

Oh and they do offer hardened steel gears for the Yota axle https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-y...SABEgId-PD_BwE

though it doesnt say its compatible with the Yota 2 axles possible becasue it came out before the yota 2's but you may want to double check.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-02-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Slipper smoked - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoked slipper clutch trxrdr17 Traxxas TRX-4 14 05-07-2021 08:59 AM
Smoked!! But why? Johnnysplits Electronics 13 08-20-2014 11:44 AM
Slipper Pads for Gen 3 Slipper? Markeje Axial Wraith 0 05-16-2014 09:13 AM
10T Holmes Puller and 3s : Slipper or no slipper? utieh General Crawlers 2 12-28-2011 07:42 AM