Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another RedCat RS10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another RedCat RS10

I know everyone is starting to get these little "gems" but I wanted to see how it could be upgraded on the cheap for our clubs 2.2 Sportsman class.
www.team-svsc.com if you want to see our rules.

I gave it a charge when I first got it and had some fun with it for about ten minutes before I just got plain bored with it. If you turn full lock and give it full throttle it will predictably roll onto it's lid. After the fith or sixth time it's no longer fun.

The stock form pictures are going to be skipped due to so many already out there. From the first view, wheels and tires are worthless and are in the trash. I mounted up some old axial stockers with one wrap of lead on the fronts with a set of Imex Rubicons and panther memory foams I had lying around.

I locked out the rear steer with simple mounting from the Axial duplicate steering Knuckles to the rear axle where the servo that I threw away once lived. Next on the list was to get rid of the ugly upper four link mount which creates all kinds of geometry issues anyway. I used a Tamiya F-350 suspension mount to where the "wing" mounted to create a reverse triangulated upper four link. I used the stock Redcat links to accomplish this along with thier rod ends and some traxxas ends to make up what seems to be a nice four link which was duplicated on the front.

As a point of quality all the hardware on this truck was locktite'd (is that a real word?) from the factory.

I then moved the shock lowers all the way down to the rod end on the lower link and moved the upper side to the forward most mounting hole in the chassis.

Links are level and belly are same height as my comp shafty. Flexes in at about 60 degrees and is much better than the factory gave at over 90 degrees artculation.

Second test run was much better flex wise but the clodstall is killer. This had to be changed. I called a friend that ran these "Dual" motor trucks and he advised a wiring change needed to be made from the speed control to the motor. I soldered the factory front and rear positive and negative leads respectively and ran them to the motors.

Much better now and it actually climbs like a berg with dead batteries.

Here are some pics to this point and I will run a comp in this condition and make more mods from there.

Good Luck,

Last edited by jrkilburn; 12-21-2009 at 03:51 PM.
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
I gave it a charge when I first got it and had some fun with it for about ten minutes before I just got plain bored with it. If you turn full lock and give it full throttle it will predictably roll onto it's lid. After the fifth or sixth time it's no longer fun.

From the first view, wheels and tires are worthless and are in the trash. .

As a point of quality all the hardware on this truck was locktite'd (is that a real word?) from the factory.

Much better now and it actually climbs like a berg with dead batteries.

funny quotes
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

It looks promising though, maybe with some vendors chiming in, we can have an affordable MOA
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I feel the same way, vendors and new ideas make this hobby what it is.

I have a set of VP high steer axial knuckles that will be used once I find the breaking point on the factory ones. I will also try to make that upper four link mount a double shear when I get back in my hobby room to find more of those tamiya parts.

The speed control has me worried on how long it will last but it does have a fan to fight heat.

I also forgot to mention I replaced the steering servo with a Tower Pro unit since the stock servo's are indeed metal gears but the output is clear plastic (why oh why Redcat would you scimp at that point).

Thanks for the comments...more to come.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
It looks promising though, maybe with some vendors chiming in, we can have an affordable MOA

don't count on it. affordable moa = bully axles...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Bully's affordable maybe...Obtainable NOT. Never in stock and That company has the attention span of a lab. How many axles are on that site that are not availalbe 3 weeks after intro???

Not being mean, but I got the whole truck for $139 in three days and they sell parts on their website not vanishing ideas.

Not everyone is into follow the bouncing ball, I like to catch it and throw it into a fire once in a while.

Just me.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

You go ahead and follow that 139.00 dollar ball into the fire! Ill be waiting on a set of Bullys:-P
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i am really glad some one is giving this rig a chance also i got mine a few weeks ago and have fitted it to take 540 motors a four link in the rear a droop set up with the shocks and a rear steer block, but the h2 body is ugly as all hell
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Whats the big deal on these? Why are they the new thing? Price ?

Besides the mod for 540 motors , they seem like plastic berg axles. which are the best bang for buck .
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Just different and yes cheap to get into. Bergs along with any other axle have drawbacks, so do these.

Keep waiting on those Bully axles guys. I am running my trucks, not waiting on Haileys comet to make another appearence...
Old 07-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Keep waiting on those Bully axles guys. I am running my trucks, not waiting on Haileys comet to make another appearence...
Ain't that the truth .
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i think alot of it is the price and its just something new and different
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Did you mount the different tires on the original wheels/beadlocks? How did you rewire the motors? Both yellows from the esc together with both yellow wires from the motors - 1 junction?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i just did that mod yesturday and it made a great difference. you take both yellow wires from the esc and combine them, then take both yellow wires from the motors and combine those together then solder them to the yellow wires on the esc, and then do the same steps for the blue wires
Old 07-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks - what about the tires - do the wheels and beadlocks allow for different tires, or should the whole set be changed?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

ya i put hot bodie rover on my rs10 stock bead lock rims

does anyone know if the axial bent lower links will fit the rs10

Last edited by nwcrawler; 07-06-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I through away the stock wheels right off the bat. I used axial wheels that were laying around since they are stronger and use washers on the center.

The wiring made the most difference running wise, glad to have helped you guys on that.

Bent links are correct length but the shock being mounted on the lower link will have to be changed.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I drove this rig today at the comp, didn't compete with it ( yet ) but I must say I am very impressed with it, our club has a sportsman class and the only MOA trucks allowed in the sportsman class are RTR MOA's such as the cliff climber and now the redcat. I am not going to bother to compare it to a Berg or Bully axled rig because that would be an apples to oranges comparison. But compared to a RTR axial like alot of guys run in our sportsman class this just might be competitive, But only time will tell.

our sportsman rules do not allow front dig, rear burn or anything larger than a 2 cell lipo, very similar to 1.9 rules but have been adapted to suit a 2.2 entry level class. we have been running this class for a few months and it has quickly become our largest class

I currently have this truck in my possesion and am going to design a set of delrin chassis plates and some new links and possible a rear axle battery tray in preperation for next Sunday's comp. I will keep everyone posted as to it's performance and let everyone know if and when I will have some chassis kits available in my vendors thread.
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

After running the Redcat today everyone agreed the biggest limiter right now is power. I think the battery has most to do with it and that the stock battery is a complete waste of time to even charge.

That said, It did well enough to want to make more changes. Crawlin4fun is gonna mod it from this point since he has the material and tools needed at the ready for this type project. I look forward to seeing it next weekend in it's first sportsman comp.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That company has the attention span of a lab.

Not everyone is into follow the bouncing ball, I like to catch it and throw it into a fire once in a while.

more funnies..... where do you come up with this stuff?
it's good to think on your own, hopefully you can make this thing work.
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote