Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Weight Bias

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Weight Bias

Trying to get a more forward weight bias in my rig. I was scoping the Berg section and found most guys were running a center of gravity about 3/4" in front of the front lower link mount at the chassis. This is to help the front wheels pull the back over a 90 degree breakover. Thats my project right now.

Current setup is stock plastic wheels with 6oz added in front and 2 oz in rear, Steel gears front and back, and custom forged knuckle weights in the front. (Haven't weighed the knuck-weights yet, but maybe 8oz +/-each?) Clocked axles to get the motors lower.

Right now I balance right at the lower link mounting points. I'm aiming for 3/4" furthur forward.

I plan on addind shaggy2112's inside-axle weights up front to help out. I feel I need a bit more weight on the rear end (or less on the chassis) to keep the rear wheels on the ground still though. I don't want to add more to the front wheels if possible. I've allready busted a lot of drivetrain parts in the past couple months. I wish I could lighten up the rear gears a bit. Get the weight closer the the axle centerline.

My Question Is; Where is your center of gravity on your RS10? How are your breakovers?

Last edited by The Jackalope; 04-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Weight Bias

Come on guys, anybody want to just lift their rig up with two fingers, and tell me where it balances?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

With the R1 chassis, mine balances about 1/4 in behind the front link mount. 4 1/2 oz in the front tires, and 2oz in the rear.(I don't know if it helps you with mine being on a nonstock chassis, even though it balanced exactly the same place on the stock chassis.
It does pretty good on breakovers. I really think i could use just a bit more in the front.
smitty808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm sitting at 1/4 inch maybe a little less behind the lower links. no weights as of now, that may change soon since I went with the traxxas big bores my rig tightened up alot and my breakover is suffering because of that. I like the axle weight deal.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

1/4 inch behind seems to be a trend. I bet I could meet my weight distribution goals if I took out the rear steering. Didn't want to, but might help.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

mines about 1/4'' from the lowers
SpoolinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolinX View Post
mines about 1/4'' from the lowers

In front, or behind the mount point?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Right at the link mount. If I remember right, there is 4 oz in each front and 2 in each rear. 2ws only.
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Current setup is stock plastic wheels with 6oz added in front and 2 oz in rear, Steel gears front and back, and custom forged knuckle weights in the front. (Haven't weighed the knuck-weights yet, but maybe 8oz +/-each?) Clocked axles to get the motors lower.
are you saying you have 6 ounces in each front wheel AND maybe 8oz on each side of knuckle weights????
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
are you saying you have 6 ounces in each front wheel AND maybe 8oz on each side of knuckle weights????
You got it! The stock plastic wheels are pretty light. Need to compensate somewhere.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

if your running that much weight in the front end, then i wouldn't add any more anywhere!! it sounds like your weight distribution is way off. the typical thought is 60 percent of the vehicle weight on the front axle and 40 percent toward the rear. i haven't messed with my redcat much but even in stock form (without the big ass stick battery) the weight balance is right about where the front lower links mount to the chassis. i could easly get a 60/40 weight setup with a smaller lipo batter mounted on the front upper links. with no added weight in the wheels.

where do you have your electronics mounted? what size battery are you using and where is it mounted? i mean hell you could add another pound of weight to the front axle to get your weight bias more forward, but that's kinda a bandaid. plus that much weight makes for a heavy ass rig!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Weight Bias - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weight bias bikeboy Axial XR10 1 03-22-2011 07:58 PM
Bully weight bias Lowe's48 RC4WD Bully 5 02-21-2011 01:30 PM
Wheel weight vs. chassis weight ratio OR spung/unsprung bias solomon7 Tires and Wheels 15 08-02-2008 06:26 PM
Weight bias chops1sc General Crawlers 4 06-20-2008 02:13 PM
adjusting weight bias? scatterbrains General Crawlers 2 08-25-2007 05:01 PM