Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: odd problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default odd problem

I was out for a craw and my rig just quit. I picked it up then it started to work again. Turned off the power to rig then controller let it set for 5 minutes then turned it back on and it is still doing it. I think its my radio but not sure on that. Just was wondering if any others have had this happen to them.
CantonAreaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Default Re: odd problem

had this same problem at the weekend on my sons buggy,took me ages to find the cause,it was a broken connection on on/off switch but the heat shrink on the solder joint was holding it in place and i couldnt see it till i gave all the wires a wiggle and it came off,also had this on the cat when i bought it but it was a bullet connector that had been crimped onto wire that didnt have the end stripped properly,i guess wire wiggling may find the cause
mast0d0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks so much. That makes since because every time i would move it it would start to work again. Now its time to find the bad wire or connection and fix it. I did not want to swap out the radio yet.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

This happened to my friend's RS10 this last weekend too. His problem ended up being a broken connection in the battery pack. You could twist the wires coming out of the battery pack one way and it would run fine but twist them the other way and the whole truck would just quit.... no fan, lights or anything. So you might try messing with the wires on your battery pack.
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

will do and thanks for the heads up on that. should get to it after i make the midgets dinner.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You are running the Outcry if I remember right (too lazy to read through your build at the moment).

If so, here's your problem: There is what looks like a transistor ON THE SIDE of the housing that has a connector with three conductors coming from it. Wiggle that!! See if that recreates it. If it does, then just bend 2 prongs slightly one direction while bending the middle one slightly the other way and out the connector back on. That should do it.
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I wish I had the outcry I am still running stock. I was going to get a better esc but insted i ordered the 540 kit. I think it was a problem with one battery. I tried another pack and so far so good. I guess i will open up one battery and take a look at it. But THANKS FOR THINKING for me. Some times I over look some silly stuff
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Do you still have those damn white Tamiya style connectors for your batteries? NOTORIOUS for being an issue.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

If you get closer and aim your radio antenna (FM) at it, does the problem go away?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Tamia clips are still on till this long winter. And some times the stearing goes out and then will come back in about 1 minute. Dont do it all the time but it sucks when it does happen. Distance is not the issue this time i am within 6 feet of it when it happened today.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The final nail in the coffin for my stock electronics was a very similar symptom as yours. Try literally getting the antennaes as close to each other as possible and see if that makes the symptom any better. This problem really pissed me off. I never went component level with it because it was cheap Lansu garbage, but I am pretty sure it was the rx in mine that went bad.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I will try it out friday once the kids go to there grandparents for the night. Thanks again
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Talking Re: odd problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
This happened to my friend's RS10 this last weekend too. His problem ended up being a broken connection in the battery pack. You could twist the wires coming out of the battery pack one way and it would run fine but twist them the other way and the whole truck would just quit.... no fan, lights or anything. So you might try messing with the wires on your battery pack.

I've got $5 on "battery connection" issue!! On mine, the female ends of the connectors, get loose, even if they seem to be touching, loose connections at the battery end act the exact way You described. But rx issues, kinda do to. Lotta help I am huh! Let us know, we're waitin' to hear whats up
Haverchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Red face Re: odd problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwall85 View Post
Do you still have those damn white Tamiya style connectors for your batteries? NOTORIOUS for being an issue.
uh.... yeah... :-l
Haverchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonAreaCrawler View Post
I will try it out friday once the kids go to there grandparents for the night. Thanks again

You know your addicted when; The kids are at the grandparents house, and your opting to work on your crawler, instead of working on the mrs's.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
You know your addicted when; The kids are at the grandparents house, and your opting to work on your crawler, instead of working on the mrs's.

Ya I do have an addiction to the crawler Its ok though it does not talk back to me. But then again its not to nice to cuddle with. I am thinking it was the battery i have the suspect battery set aside for explority surgery latter on today. I love to take the kids crawling with me but not so much for the repairs they are 4 and 5 so they like to "help" by takin my screws and hideing them. And the Mrs will be fine she likes it when i work on my rig because then i am not in her way.

odd problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd Foods slobin3d Chit Chat 69 02-02-2011 02:34 PM
An odd ? major94 Redcat Crawlers 2 03-20-2010 09:00 AM
Very odd Glitch problem Skullbasher Electronics 10 10-24-2009 01:08 AM
FXR shuts down everything ... odd problem axlesofevil Electronics 11 09-18-2009 07:51 AM
thats odd ILoveRCRockCrawlin Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 02-03-2006 08:49 PM