Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #641
Rock Stacker

Default Re: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

So I have my E10 now and started on the scale crawler conversion. I have rebuilt the front axle with the iron cross, axle tubes, and metal hubs and knuckles.

I popped the tranny open and found all plastic gears. :( Anyone know of replacements for them?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by UberJeep; 03-02-2016 at 06:21 AM.
UberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #642
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberJeep View Post
I popped the tranny open and found all plastic gears. :( Anyone know of replacements for them?
I checked their parts page but no dice. Wouldn't an scx10 tranny work? I'm assuming just popping scx10 gears in wouldn't do the trick.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #643
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
I checked their parts page but no dice. Wouldn't an scx10 tranny work? I'm assuming just popping scx10 gears in wouldn't do the trick.
It would. But, I am wanting to keep as many Redcat parts as possible.

Not sure about the gears.

Interestingly, I haven't read a single complaint about the tranny. So either it works good, or my search skills stink.
UberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #644
RCC Addict

Yeah I don't remember reading anything negative about the tranny so you're probably safe there. I'm planning to add iron crosses, remove the foams, adjust the shocks and ride height, de-anodize the chassis, brace the rear axle with delrin, move the battery forward and low, sipp and de-lug the tires, mirror the tranny to minimize torque-twist and keep a set of Traxxas driveshafts handy in case the stockers bite the dust, but otherwise keep it stock until I find a nice New Bright body to put on it. Then I'll add a delrin chassis and lights to round things off nicely.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #645
Quarry Creeper

I'm still running the e10 tranny in my scale e10 and its working fine, I do plan on swapping in an axial tranny soon, but there's no pressing reason to do so.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #646
Rock Crawler

Still running the stock gearbox on mine for the last 2 years. Opened it up recently snd found them still in perfect condition. Regreased and put back together. No idea of scx10 gears will fit. But the gearbox itself will fit if you slot 2 holes. E10 trans has 4 screws all the same width. Scx10 has 2 the same as e10 and 2 narrower. I'm running an e10/hsp trans on an axial scx10 chassis and skid with 2 holes slotted. The same can be done in reverse.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #647
Rock Crawler

I've got 2 rigs with E10 transmissions and haven't had a single issue yet, but I'm only running a 20T, 27T motor's and 2s.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #648
Rock Crawler

I have not run 3S through mine either. It has had many motors ranging from a 12T 550 to the stock 60T 540. All driven by my 4yr old son who is not light on the throttle. I have my doubts about plastic gears on 3S and a lathe/rebuilable motor. I would fit an scx10 trans with alloy or metal gears for that setup.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #649
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
I have not run 3S through mine either. It has had many motors ranging from a 12T 550 to the stock 60T 540. All driven by my 4yr old son who is not light on the throttle. I have my doubts about plastic gears on 3S and a lathe/rebuilable motor. I would fit an scx10 trans with alloy or metal gears for that setup.
I finally got my xtraspeed aluminum axial skid and it's great quality.

I was looking at my tranny and i dont see a way to mirror it.
I mounted the tranny and motor to my sensored ESC and noticed when I trigger it the motor turns into itself i.e weighs itself down which is bad especially cause it's a juicy 4 pole D wound 550.
For some reason even with a program card switching to reverse doesnt do anything.
MordyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #650
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyNYC View Post
I was looking at my tranny and i dont see a way to mirror it.
I mounted the tranny and motor to my sensored ESC and noticed when I trigger it the motor turns into itself i.e weighs itself down which is bad especially cause it's a juicy 4 pole D wound 550.
For some reason even with a program card switching to reverse doesn't do anything.
From what I read, you have to drill out the opposite side of the tranny since there's not a plug in a hole like on the Axials.

I'm not sure what you mean that the motor turns into itself. Does it spin or not? I not, the mounting screw may be too long and keeping the motor from spinning. Try removing the motor from the tranny to see if it spins up.

If it still doesn't spin, you may have to swap one of the 3 motor wires with another one, unplug the sensor wire or start it by hand because it's cogged (it's been a long time since I played with brushless so I may be remembering wrong).
Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #651
Rock Stacker

Quote:
From what I read, you have to drill out the opposite side of the tranny since there's not a plug in a hole like on the Axials.

I'm not sure what you mean that the motor turns into itself. Does it spin or not? I not, the mounting screw may be too long and keeping the motor from spinning. Try removing the motor from the tranny to see if it spins up.

If it still doesn't spin, you may have to swap one of the 3 motor wires with another one, unplug the sensor wire or start it by hand because it's cogged (it's been a long time since I played with brushless so I may be remembering wrong).
Yes that's exactly why because there's no shaft hole on the other side.

Haha total miscommunication; the motor torque steers counter clockwise facing the pinion. I'd rather it spin the other way to fight its weight.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #652
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyNYC View Post
Haha total miscommunication; the motor torque steers counter clockwise facing the pinion. I'd rather it spin the other way to fight its weight.
Then just swap any two of the 3 motor wires.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #653
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Then just swap any two of the 3 motor wires.
Can't it's a sensored motor. He'll have to mirror the trans. If he reverses the motor direction it will drive in reverse so it will still torque twist going forwards. Unless you reverse the motor and flip the skid. Best option is mirror the trans.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #654
RCC Addict

Red face Re: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

Quote:
Can't it's a sensored motor. He'll have to mirror the trans. If he reverses the motor direction it will drive in reverse so it will still torque twist going forwards. Unless you reverse the motor and flip the skid. Best option is mirror the trans.
I knew I was forgetting something about brushless setups; told you it'd been a long time!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #655
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ill attempt it but if I drill a hole how will I secure the other end of the shaft if there's an extra hole?
I found a metal housing here and metal gears
Aluminum Upgrade Parts Center Gear Box Mount for 1/10 AXIAL SCX10 RC Electric 90022 90028 90035 Jeep Wrangler-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Steel Drive Transmission Straight Gears Set Black Stainless Steel RC Car Upgraded Part For Axial Locked SCX10-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But there's nothing wrong with either and I dont want to spend more honestly. Also I know the motor mount plate will not match up because I saw a GPM aluminum scx10 plate on sale and ordered it. I can always drill it i guess; it is much nicer looking and sturdier though.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:47 AM   #656
Rock Crawler

I've never mirrored a trans but I assume the shaft is stepped or captive on the bearing or similar so it won't come out the other way. There is usually a pin through the top gear and shaft.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #657

Hi, new to the hobby. Read this thread from start to finish back in January. Got the E10 week or 2 ago. Getting one for my son on Easter. Reread different parts of the thread a few times, read it all again today, pleased to see 7 more pages since I last went all the way to the end. Keep up the good work that keeps giving me lots of ideas. After I play with it stock for a bit I'm hoping to stretch a custom frame and make a scale version of my 89 F350 Centurion Bronco. Thanks again for a great read!
Bronco-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #658
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco-Lover View Post
Hi, new to the hobby. Read this thread from start to finish back in January. Got the E10 week or 2 ago. Getting one for my son on Easter. Reread different parts of the thread a few times, read it all again today, pleased to see 7 more pages since I last went all the way to the end. Keep up the good work that keeps giving me lots of ideas. After I play with it stock for a bit I'm hoping to stretch a custom frame and make a scale version of my 89 F350 Centurion Bronco. Thanks again for a great read!
What's that an F350 truck with British tank tracks and a Bronco body?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #659
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco-Lover View Post
Welcome aboard. You should come hang out with the KCRC bunch. We can show you how to properly spend your paycheck
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #660

7.3L IDI Diesel 1 ton 4 door Bronco. It looks a little different now, dropped the running boards and took care of some body rust this last fall. redoing some of the interior and working my way slowly to the outside.

I was hoping I could get two of the proline Bronco bodies and splice them together. Maybe with some laminating layers on the inside using styrene I can make it a bit more rigid and use some styrene/filler to build up around the B pillars where I would be adding on the second cab. I suppose fiber glass or more specifically the resin would melt the lexan.
Bronco-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The new redcat everest-10 crawler? terrywolfpack Redcat Crawlers 83 06-29-2016 01:41 PM
New redcat racing Everest-10 terrywolfpack General Crawlers 7 11-15-2015 08:40 AM
deeper offset rims!!!! minicrawlerguy530 Tires and Wheels 22 10-15-2014 06:55 PM