Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rs-10xt optional differential

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Default Rs-10xt optional differential

Has anyone gotten this hopup?? Any input?
RockymtnClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rs-10xt optional differential

I wouldn't consider an open diff a hop up in a crawler. There is a thread about it halfway down the first page of the rs10 forum right now http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...-assembly.html
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #3

Ya but everyone thinks it's for the larger rockslide. Even though it is in the rs10xt manual. And why wouldn't you recommend it curious.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Do you know how a differential works? Simply put, it allows power to take the path of least resistance, i.e. the wheel with less traction. In a road going car, it lets the outside wheel spin faster than the inside, so you can go around a corner without breaking traction/understeer/squealing the tires. An open diff in a crawler is likely to leave you dead in the water, spinning one wheel on each axle, going nowhere when the terrain gets really uneven or loose.

The rs10 (and pretty much anything classified as a crawler) has locked differentials (well, really just a spool) that sends power equally to both wheels at all times. It does make it harder to turn on high traction surfaces, but it also allows you to keep driving forward with one wheel in the air or in loose conditions.

I've got to ask, why do you want an open diff?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

damn fine explanation there theletterj

succinct
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
GT1

It looks like a sealed gear diff, meaning you can set or tune it from free to locked up.
Many folks dislike the poor turning radius of crawler and "open" diffs are an option for other crawler vehicles, also, not just the RS10. I guarantee it will make it act much smoother over open ground, rough or not, depending on what fluid is in it. It would seem to be more fitting for the trail and scale guys, as LSD would put you in even higher scale realism. After reading more it seems some run it in the front and leave a spool in the rear.
GT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Your argument for improved handling would hold more water if the rs10 went more than 7mph. The rs10 is not exactly a good choice if speed or realism are your goals... but it can be made to crawl pretty well. On 3s with 10t pinions, mine goes a brisk walking pace, maybe a slow jog. At that speed it will lift the inside front wheel when turning in 4ws (obviosly mine is still, and will remain, locked at both ends), but it's not like it's going to immediately flip because of it. I experimented with different diff fluids and even jbweld (locked diff) in my old nitro monster trucks and settled on 100k "fluid" because the truck went fast enough to end up on its lid practically every time I tried to turn on pavement with the locked diff. Horses for courses.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #8
GT1

You are confusing my explanation of why these are available as an argument for running out and ordering them up. It wasn't any such thing.

As long as the RS10 has been around if those diffs didn't sell they likely wouldn't be there.

That being said I've seen the truck go way faster than 7mph, and a lot of people want something more/different, sometimes.

There are plenty of videos of folks installing and running open diffs in crawlers if one has much interest and searches the net.

Last edited by GT1; 01-04-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 AM   #9

I simply wanted opinions / if locking was an option and if possibly was in a different mount axle (more open room for motor).I'm running 540s and am not fond of the look. I just could not find anyyything, reviews or videos. So thank you for the info guys

Last edited by RockymtnClimber; 01-05-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

a hobby is for entertainment as well as learning.

to get a pair of the differentials and either use both or one at a time is
worth doing. you can see how the crawler handles each way. it might help on your terrain.
some crawlers (losi for one I think) have/had a lockable 3rd member, you could lock it or free it
on the fly. in ebay I see shafty axles with cable controlled 3rd members. so it is a common thing

from experience I know there are several circumstances where a locked diff is not a good thing
but there are places where they are extremely useful.

a 4x4 needs to be set up for the terrain it will be used in.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 AM   #11

I prefer my tires not ever touching dirt, extreme rock crawling is all I do. Thank god for the Colorado rocky mountains!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 AM   #12
GT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockymtnClimber View Post
I prefer my tires not ever touching dirt, extreme rock crawling is all I do. Thank god for the Colorado rocky mountains!
I'm jealous. I have been to the Rockies in various locations on vacations many years ago. What a place to be.

I am more interested in straight up rock crawling too, but being in the flat lands of northern IL my options are more limited, I am mostly stuck with man made rock piles, rip rap...etc..

Rs-10xt optional differential - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dig on stock remote? (rs-10xt) Tyler-brown Redcat Crawlers 22 03-21-2012 04:00 PM
Optional Bodies JustinThyme Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 12 01-16-2011 05:58 PM
Optional gearsets? theslowguy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 25 07-28-2009 04:16 PM
optional battery tray? papaweely Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 07-10-2009 03:40 PM
CC optional motors sgil2001 Duratrax Cliff Climber 2 12-11-2008 05:52 PM