Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Everest 10 Motor....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Everest 10 Motor....

Has anyone definitively found out how many turn the stock E10 motor is? My son's E10 is just too slow. Not wanting to make it into a basher or rock racer but I'd like him to be able to keep up with my Gen7 Pro at least. I've been reading and reading about motors and pinion sizes and to be honest I'm still lost. It'd really help to know what I'm dealing with to begin with. Any suggestions about motor and/or pinion recommendations would be appreciated. I think I'd like to stick with the 540 motor size so it fits. I see Holmes and RC4WD have a nice array of choices in the 540 size.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-21-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Everest 10 Motor....

What battery is he running? If its the stock one, I'd guess you'd need a 20T motor to keep up with the gen 7. Maybe 27T if you geared it up a bit.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Has anyone definitively found out how many turn the stock E10 motor is? My son's E10 is just too slow. Not wanting to make it into a basher or rock racer but I'd like him to be able to keep up with my Gen7 Pro at least. I've been reading and reading about motors and pinion sizes and to be honest I'm still lost. It'd really help to know what I'm dealing with to begin with. Any suggestions about motor and/or pinion recommendations would be appreciated. I think I'd like to stick with the 540 motor size so it fits. I see Holmes and RC4WD have a nice array of choices in the 540 size.
In my opinion, 35T is the sweet spot. Really good wheel speed/trail speed and really good crawl ability. The torque twist will be ridiculous if you haven't started adjusting the shock angle and link geometry. Also, if you haven't started upgrading the diff lockers and drive shafts, get some on order. Those will go in minutes, especially with a youngster driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
What battery is he running? If its the stock one, I'd guess you'd need a 20T motor to keep up with the gen 7. Maybe 27T if you geared it up a bit.
He's using both the stock 2000 mAh battery and a 5000 mAh Turnigy NiMHs. If I go to 20T will I have low speed crawling/smoothness issues? I still would like him to be able to delicately apply throttle, crawl and carefully choose his line but also to keep up with my Gen7.

I know, I want my cake and to eat it too. Is what I'm looking for doable?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
In my opinion, 35T is the sweet spot. Really good wheel speed/trail speed and really good crawl ability. The torque twist will be ridiculous if you haven't started adjusting the shock angle and link geometry. Also, if you haven't started upgrading the diff lockers and drive shafts, get some on order. Those will go in minutes, especially with a youngster driving.

I think 35T is a good choice also (I run one in my E10, but on 3s and geared down a bit). It won't keep up with the Gen7 with a 35T if they are both running the same voltage though. I'm pretty sure he runs the vader skid, so torque twist shouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
He's using both the stock 2000 mAh battery and a 5000 mAh Turnigy NiMHs. If I go to 20T will I have low speed crawling/smoothness issues? I still would like him to be able to delicately apply throttle, crawl and carefully choose his line but also to keep up with my Gen7.

I know, I want my cake and to eat it too. Is what I'm looking for doable?
I have a 20T in one of my son's E10s. It does have good wheel speed, but you do need a very gentle trigger finger to crawl with it. Maybe a 27T would give you almost the wheel speed of your Gen7, but still be easier to crawl with. Could always adjust the pinion up or down after you get it to tweak things.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Sounds like the scenario I want for him. Yes, I've done the Vader skid plate mod and the torque twist is all but gone as of now. I'm sure a different motor will bring some of that back though.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-21-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I think the E-10's stock motor is a 55 turn. Don't hold me to that though, but I think that I saw that somewhere here on rcc. Personally, I'd got with a 27 or 35 turn. As far as gearing goes, gear it down a couple teeth on the pinion for a lower turn motor. Check motor and ESC temps to make sure you're not working it too hard. It would be easiest to buy a pinion pack from Robinson racing so you've got a lot to experiment with.

Also you'll want to look into upgrading axle and trans parts. You're going to break them with a motor upgrade. I've read that you can use SCX-10 gears in the E-10 but I never did it personally to my son's so I don't know exactly what all fits.

Last edited by EZCompany; 01-21-2018 at 04:46 PM.
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCompany View Post
I think the E-10's stock motor is a 55 turn. Don't hold me to that though, but I think that I saw that somewhere he on rcc. Personally I'd got with a 27 or 35 turn. As far as gearing goes, gear it down a couple teeth on the pinion for a lower turn motor. Check motor and ESC temps to make sure you're not working it to hard. It would be easiest to buy a pinion pack from Robinson racing so you've got a lot to experiment with.

Also you'll want to look into upgrading axle and trans parts. You're going to break them with a motor upgrade. I've read that you can use SCX-10 gears in the E-10 but I never did it personally to my son's so I don't know exactly what all fits.
If you are talking transmission gears, redcat now offers steel gears.

The axles may be fine even with a little more speed. I haven't had many issues with the axles except after adding weight to them (though I prophylactically changed the lockers). I'd run em and upgrade them only if you get breakage.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I haven't taken the stock E10 motor apart to physically count turns, but it is definitely SLOW! I'm currently running the stock E10 motor in my Wraith on 3s with a high ratio trans and it can barely get out of its own way.

On my son's E10 we went with a 27t 540, 2s, with 17/87 gearing and it has been a good setup. It's a bit faster than a brisk walk, and has not got too hot to touch when crawling in some relatively technical rocks. I wouldn't change a thing. He did run that setup on 3s and it would wheelie on demand and go fast enough to clear his plastic skateboard jump, but he also killed the transmission gears on the second 3s pack. It is just a touch faster on 2s than my other son's Gen7 that is still running nimh.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

From what I'm hearing I'm thinking a 35t or 27t (leaning towards 27t) with a set of gears from someone like Robinson Racing to fine tune the desired speed is the way for me to go for my son. I noticed that Robinson Racing has starter sets for even turn count motors and for odd turn count motors but their set for odd motors doesn't go up to 27 or 35 turn motors. Am I understanding this correctly? Does anyone else offer assortment sets for 27 or 35 turn motors? Also I see a number of choices for motors from HH, RC4WD, Axial and Yeah. They run from really affordable to over $100. I don't mind spending some money on a decent unit but I by no means need the best 'hand-wound, gold plated, rare earth magnets coated with unicorn tears' motor for my 8yr old kid's E10. Any specific recommendations and opinions?

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-21-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
From what I'm hearing I'm thinking a 35t or 27t (leaning towards 27t) with a set of gears from someone like Robinson Racing to fine tune the desired speed is the way for me to go for my son. I noticed that Robinson Racing has starter sets for even turn count motors and for odd turn count motors but their set for odd motors doesn't go up to 27 or 35 turn motors. Am I understanding this correctly? Does anyone else offer assortment sets for 27 or 35 turn motors? Also I see a number of choices for motors from HH, RC4WD, Axial and Yeah. They run from really affordable to over $100. I don't mind spending some money on a decent unit but I by no means need the best 'hand-wound, gold plated, rare earth magnets coated with unicorn tears' motor for my 8yr old kid's E10. Any specific recommendations and opinions?
I have 3 of the 35T GoolRC (same as Yeah Racing and even some big name rebranders *gasp*). Absolutely no problems. Paid $11.57 shipped each.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've been using RC4wd can motors. Nothing special, but do the trick and are only about $10. I've heard plenty of recommendations for the GoolRC motors, but haven't tried them yet.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You don't really need a pinion set. Get the 27T motor and see how you like the speed and control on the stock 14T pinion. If you want it faster get a larger pinion up to a max 17T pinion. If you want it slower, get a smaller pinion down to a minimum 10T. You probably won't run into heat issues unless you've added weight (especially rotating weight), but keep an eye on it initially and if you gear up.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
OMG I am such an idiot. Robinson was talking about the number of teeth on their pinions, not the number of turns of the motors. Wow do I feel stupid. There I go again making things much more complicated than they really are or need to be.

Thank you everyone who restrained themselves from laughing themselves silly on here over my duh moment...
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
OMG I am such an idiot. Robinson was talking about the number of teeth on their pinions, not the number of turns of the motors. Wow do I feel stupid. There I go again making things much more complicated than they really are or need to be.

Thank you everyone who restrained themselves from laughing themselves silly on here over my duh moment...
We've were all new at some point. It seems the folks who aren't too good to buy Redcat/HSP/etc are folks who don't forget that.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
We've were all new at some point. It seems the folks who aren't too good to buy Redcat/HSP/etc are folks who don't forget that.

Thank you. I'm noticing that that seems to be the case here. Very refreshing actually. In this age when everyone is ready to jump your shit for anything and everything.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Thank you. I'm noticing that that seems to be the case here. Very refreshing actually. In this age when everyone is ready to jump your shit for anything and everything.
Hey man, take a look at my thread a little below yours, titled Everest 10 Chassis Mods. I just installed a 20t motor, and for the short time I was able to run it, it was a rocket! Not fantastic for crawling, but you could straight up bash it! However, there's some problems with mounting a higher turn motor that I discussed, and solved using spacers. Check it out, and if you can make it work, it's a fantastic mod for some serious speed!
AnotherRedcatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRedcatDude View Post
Hey man, take a look at my thread a little below yours, titled Everest 10 Chassis Mods. I just installed a 20t motor, and for the short time I was able to run it, it was a rocket! Not fantastic for crawling, but you could straight up bash it! However, there's some problems with mounting a higher turn motor that I discussed, and solved using spacers. Check it out, and if you can make it work, it's a fantastic mod for some serious speed!
I had read yours a few days ago. I ordered an RC4WD 27T and I bet it has the exact same can as your 20T. I have a whole bunch of assorted spacers to space out the chassis plates. Thanx to you I know what to do and have the stuff on hand to do it.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Update: Got my son't E10 equipped with an RC4WD 27T motor. Direct replacement with no fitment issues. Significant increase in speed. It's a great next step for him as his skill level is increasing. It's still not quite as fast as my stock motored and geared Gen7 Pro but not far off. I think I will get a 15 or 16 tooth pinion for when he's ready. Any idea what the pitch is of the stock pinion/spur gearset? I see Robinson has a few different pitches.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 01-27-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Everest 10 Motor.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New everest 10 geordyn Redcat Crawlers 12 02-25-2017 08:30 PM
Everest 16 Rbranham607 Redcat Crawlers 3 09-01-2016 03:42 AM
Faster motor and steering knuckles for the Everest 10. escrawler Redcat Crawlers 6 12-07-2015 08:13 PM
Everest-10 rodney m Redcat Crawlers 1 08-13-2015 07:17 AM