Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: transmission gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default transmission gears

I just recently took ownership of a new gen7 pro and have been tinkering and making regular out of the box adjustments and have been thinking about the future purchase in regards to replacing the stock plastic transmission gears...

Redcat offers a steel gear set as does Hot Racing. Has anyone seen both sets side by side for comparison? Just curious to see if these gears are made in the same place and just re-labeled like so much other stuff in the industry, thanks in advance...
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

Default Re: transmission gears

While it doesn't hurt to have this stuff ready to go, honestly, I haven't heard of too many people stripping the plastic trans gears. There's plenty of other crap in the mechanical path that breaks way sooner.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I can't comment on the Redcat vs HR gears, but I might suggest just buying one of the $35 Chinese complete transmissions that are all over ebay/aliexpress, banggood, etc. instead. They have the axial mounting pattern (2 of the 4 existing holes line up, or you could take the opportunity to switch to an scx10 skid for much improved lower link geometry) have an aluminum housing, steel gears, and a slipper clutch, that's a lot of bang for the buck. If you're just going for the cheapest, there's a good chance that you could make the stock sintered metal scx10.2 rtr gears work, they've been holding up fine in one of my cars on 3s. AX31585 is the idler and bottom gear, I don't remember if the Redcat top gear is already metal, if not, you'd need the stock AX10 top gear too AX30394 totaling ~$13... I cannot guarantee that the Axial gears are a direct fit, but I vaguely remember someone saying they'd fit if replacing the whole set.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have the redcats metal gears still in the packadge but honestly i snaped the trans case in 2 before i striped the gears i got a new trans for like $10 or something like that and never put the metal gears in in my opinion there not realy worth it cause my case failed before the plastic gears redcat dose make a aluminum trans case but if your gona spend the money buy the axial parts and upgrade
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

I actually stripped the gears out a while back. I purchased the Redcat metal gears and they have taken a beating. Just put the whole mess in the Hot Racing aluminum case today and they looked clean and new.

That said I would rather I had put all the time and money into an SCX10 tranny with a slipper. The only thing left of my original Gen 7 is the frame, but she is BOMBER now...
pearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

My transfer case gears stripped in the first 1 minute. I fixed them by heating the pin and pulling it into the plastic gear and adding an extra shim to keep that pin pulled into the gear. But the gears were never smooth, even greased.

I bought the Redcat metal gear set and installed it and the truck is a new truck. WAY smoother.. I can't recommend the metal gears enough!
SleepyC is offline   Reply With Quote

transmission gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission gears Ilovecrawling12 Axial SCX-10 7 12-30-2018 06:51 AM
Transmission Gears Ashley S Axial Yeti XL 1 06-14-2017 08:52 AM
transmission gears aebstract Axial SCX-10 4 07-10-2012 11:01 AM
transmission gears ax10newguy Formula Offroad 19 06-04-2011 07:00 AM