Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen8 Builds!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Gen8 Builds!?

Im curious as to has been building a Gen8 portal based competitive rig!?

Im close to pulling the trigger on a portal axle/ custom chassis set and having a go with it.
On the redcat axles however ive been hesitant do to lack of or parts on release hold in regards to alloy/metal/brass components, ie axle housings, portal boxes etc...
Im sure it will be released soon enough tho.

Just thought id spark a gen8 builder conversation thread, look foward to your responses and thoughts.
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gen8 Builds!?

Hot Racing has brass diff covers and portal boxes out. I've yet to see any shaft upgrade. Redcat themselves have driveshafts, although still out of phase like the stock plastic ones. They also have upgrades to pretty much any of the trouble gears. Money for the value, I dont think theyre a bad value. I owned one of the first on this board. Haven't done a ton with it due to pregnant wife and home renovations trying to get some more finished living space before the baby comes. Going from 3 bedrooms to 5. Losing my basement workshop and finishing the second half for the oldest two. Sigh. dadlife
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

The one thing that I think is needed is a better quality upper portal gear. I haven't broken the updated versions in my beta portals, but it seems like a fair number of Gen8 owners are breaking them. Redcat has already stated that they're working on a stronger version. Hopefully that means a CNC'd version instead of more sintered metal. It would be great if an aftermarket vendor would jump on this opportunity too.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Hot Racing has brass diff covers and portal boxes out.
Are they still available? Can't seem to find them for sale.
kingbobdole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The one thing that I think is needed is a better quality upper portal gear. I haven't broken the updated versions in my beta portals, but it seems like a fair number of Gen8 owners are breaking them. Redcat has already stated that they're working on a stronger version. Hopefully that means a CNC'd version instead of more sintered metal. It would be great if an aftermarket vendor would jump on this opportunity too.
Yea, i saw the cnc gear option fon the website but it states they are on back order. I reached out to xtra speed and asked if he had any plans for gen8 production pieces and he said that he didnt, but would look into it as i was not the first to ask.
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #6

It's just a guess, but I think you're going to start seeing a robust aftermarket pop up around this truck. The body design has a lot of appeal to more than just the "bottom dwellers" that typically would buy Redcat stuff. Because of this, a lot of guys with the desire and the funds to upgrade the trucks are going to end up with them. Combine that with at least a couple weaknesses that are beginning to emerge, and you have a recipe for aftermarket vendors to fill a need. The Gen7 was a good selling truck, but I don't think the aftermarket really came around for it because guys who bought those "cheap" trucks were generally the type who were either treating it like a throw-away, were noobs who didn't want or know about aftermarket upgrades, or were the crafty DIY-type who were willing to adapt other parts to fit it. The Gen8 seems to be an even better selling truck, and this time it's selling to guys who want bolt-on parts and are willing to pay for them.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbobdole View Post
Are they still available? Can't seem to find them for sale.
eBay is only place I’ve seen them listed
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen8 Builds!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone break anything on the gen8 yet ferp420 Redcat Crawlers 87 01-04-2022 12:13 PM
What new foams for the Gen8? Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 37 06-19-2020 09:29 AM
First video of my Gen8 FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 5 02-01-2019 07:42 AM
Gen8 manual is up. Here's what we know Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 16 12-28-2018 02:13 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM