Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My little Mule Pepe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #1

Default My little Mule Pepe

Figured I'd get a thread going for my Redcat Gen 8. Currently my biggest mod is the body which is about 4 or 5 years old. I'd made it for a shortcourse build and thoughly beat the Strope body version on many an occasion. When I saw the Gen 8 wheelbase could be extended I realized I already potentially had a Bronco body to transplant to it. The body is a mix of Proline 3393 Bronco body with a Dingo interior. The windshield is a bit of a compromise To be flush with the cage I used the dingo windshield. The white polystyrene strip bolts the dingo interior to the bronco body hiding the seem while adding some reinforcement.

Once I had an interior I needed a driver and opted to go with Wild Willy. My first RC's were the Frog, Blackfoot and an RC10 goldpan. While I knew the performance wasn't stellar I loved the Tamiya wild willy Jeep which I never bought. Just the looks of Willy's scowl while ripping wheelies was pretty cool.

It took me till this spring to finally opt to buy a crawler but I was excited to get started on moving the bronco body over to the Gen 8. I still have an unpainted 3393 bronco body so in the future I might work on a shelf queen version to be attached via magnet in the front. Here's where the Gen 8 is at currently.

Take it easy
Jay
RunningWithBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My little Mule Pepe

Very nice. I like the colour scheme
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Thanks Willy's helmet needs a touch up at some point one too many ejections from the short course truck.

I was crawling with the kids last night and think I found what I'll end up modding first electronics wise. With the SSD beadlocks and taller Pro-line mudterrain tires the servo seems to be having a rougher time while turning. It didn't sound like there was a rub so I'm thinking upgrading the servo will be in order. I've got a power HD WP-23KG I was going to put into a Tekno 410.3 but think I might move it into the crawler to see how it works out there. Tires wise the Proline's had more grip than the stock tires and the added clearance was nice in several parts of the backyard course.

Take it easy
Jay

Old 05-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

If it's a stock servo then they usally suck anyway. I have a couple of power HD 20kg servos and they work well.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just started gathering parts for a "pepe" build I am planning for later this year. I picked up the 80's body instead to match the movie. Looks good.
Attached Images

mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I just started gathering parts for a "pepe" build I am planning for later this year. I picked up the 80's body instead to match the movie. Looks good.

That should be awesome glad someone got the reference. When I was little Romancing the Stone was the first time I saw a 4x4 in a movie and thought I want that... I'm tempted to try to the Traxas body to build an RC version off of but like this little bronco body a lot. Hmm the kids truck could get a new body ;).

Take it easy
Jay
Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWithBeers View Post
That should be awesome glad someone got the reference. When I was little Romancing the Stone was the first time I saw a 4x4 in a movie and thought I want that... I'm tempted to try to the Traxas body to build an RC version off of but like this little bronco body a lot. Hmm the kids truck could get a new body ;).

Take it easy
Jay
Me too. I was a kid also and watched the pepe part over and over. I did get a bronco because of that movie.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I don't remember much from that movie aside from the "Little Mule" Truck scene. Would be rad to have a replica of that....

found this gem on the tube...

olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #9

Just got done swapping the stock servo out for the Power HD WP-23. I've not taken it for a drive but it seems to have less trouble moving the tires but interestingly enough it seems super noisy. Once I'm home from work tomorrow I'll try it out and see how it feels driving on the rocks. I also added the gen 8 servo skid plate since the servo horn had taken it's fair share of abuse.

Take it easy
Jay
Old 05-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I've had really good luck with the power HD servos, been running them in 4wd short course trucks and 1/8 e-buggy, havent had a noisy one yet.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #11

Drove it for a bit tonight when I got home it felt good and the servo was better able to get to neutral on the rocks than on the carpet last night. I'm wondering if I need better foams in the front it still feels like it's pushing a lot when I'm trying to turn hard.

Take it easy
Jay

https://youtu.be/0yhTKqk4h2E

My little Mule Pepe - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mule 77 F150 66sprint6 1.9 Scale Rigs 121 02-28-2017 09:22 PM
Mule m-274 Madjones Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 11-23-2014 06:09 PM
Rebuilding Pepe: Griz's 1.9 TTC F-100 Grizzly4x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 85 03-13-2014 07:50 PM
Rebuilding Pepe into a 2.2 TTC rig Grizzly4x4 2.2 Scale Rigs 111 08-27-2010 04:26 AM