Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Steering servo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Steering servo question

Hi. My steering servo on my E 10 is not working and would like to find out which servo to replace the bad one with.
I did try one that I had (from my boats) but the "arm" from the one in the E 10 would not fit on my servo.
any suggestions to which servo to get would be great and if possible where to get it.
Regards
Tar
Tar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steering servo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar18 View Post
Hi. My steering servo on my E 10 is not working and would like to find out which servo to replace the bad one with.
I did try one that I had (from my boats) but the "arm" from the one in the E 10 would not fit on my servo.
any suggestions to which servo to get would be great and if possible where to get it.
Regards
Tar
Ds3218 off Amazon. Under$20 and it comes with an aluminum servo horn.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

Great choice from amazon really good servo for the money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
jakemaxwell806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

Yup. Those 20kg servos are great servos as long as you can get at least 6.0v to them.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hi folks.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look it up on Amazon and hope that Amazon.ca has it.
Will the servo horn that comes with it work on the E 10? I do have a great servo but as I said the horn from the old one would not work on the servo that I had.
It seems that the horn from the one that is on the E 10 is bigger . I have a Hi Tech servo that is real good but the horn would not fit on the servo. I had another servo horn but on the E 10 it seems (at least this is what I found, but maybe I am wrong or missed something) that it needs to be screwed to the linkage or is this something that I need to learn about. Or is there special horns that I would need.
I just checked on Amazon and they have this servo. It gives two different angles so which one should I order?
Thanks again folks and any help would be great.
Regards
Tar

Last edited by Tar18; 02-21-2020 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

redcat uses a 25 tooth servo horn the other servo might use a 23 tooth servo horn most standered servos are ether 23 or 25 most cheap chineese servos ive seen run the 25tooth servo horn so if you want to run the hightec try a 23 tooth servo horn you might be able to take the servo down to a local hobbie shop and test fit or just count the teeth on the servo output
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:57 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hi again. Thanks for the explanation. Now I have a better understanding.
I did look up the servo that was mentioned above, but it was listed in two different "angles". Any advice to which one to get.
Thanks for all of the help.
Regards
Tar
Old 02-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #8

The angle doesn't matter. You only need about 90 degrees of rotation in an RC application, so a 180 or 270 degree servo will both work exactly the same.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:05 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hi again. thank you all for the information provided. I am going to get the DS3218 as suggested but have one more question. Will the horn that came with the stock Redcat servo fit on this new servo? On mine the linkage (I imagine they are all the same) from the front wheel screws onto the horn of the stock servo, so would need the same horn to screw the linkage onto. Now there might be another way to do it with a different horn and if there is please let me know.
Thank you again for all of the help.
Regards
Tar
Old 02-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hi again. thank you all for the information provided. I am going to get the DS3218 as suggested but have one more question. Will the horn that came with the stock Redcat servo fit on this new servo? On mine the linkage (I imagine they are all the same) from the front wheel screws onto the horn of the stock servo, so would need the same horn to screw the linkage onto. Now there might be another way to do it with a different horn and if there is please let me know.
Thank you again for all of the help.
Regards
Tar
if your stock servo horn is plastic get a new one otherwise it should work the hexfly is 25tooth servo and so is the ds atleast the ones i have are
Old 02-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
RVA

I ordered one off of amazon and it came with a new servo horn. Working great so far.
RVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info. I am still not sure of one thing. With a new servo horn how I am going to attach the steering linkage as I had to take a screw out that was into the servo horn with the stock servo holding the steering linkage. I hope that I am saying all of this the right way as I am still learning this new side of the RC hobby. I am not sure but figure that all the E 10's are the same at least stock with how the linkage is secured to the servo horn. But again not sure.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards
Tar
Old 02-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am still not sure of one thing. With a new servo horn how I am going to attach the steering linkage as I had to take a screw out that was into the servo horn with the stock servo holding the steering linkage. I hope that I am saying all of this the right way as I am still learning this new side of the RC hobby. I am not sure but figure that all the E 10's are the same at least stock with how the linkage is secured to the servo horn. But again not sure.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards
Tar
im not sure im understanding your question here but every servo horn ive ever used had a 3mm threaded screw hole to atatch the stering linkadge to just screw it in using the same screw you took out
Old 02-24-2020, 05:08 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hi. Thank you very much and you did answer my question. I did not realise that a new servo horn would have a threaded screw hole. I am used to boat servos that had just holes. I am learning and now understand more.
I did order the new servo and should get it this week.
Thanks again for the patience and help.
Regards
Tar

Steering servo question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering servo question Akman75 Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 02-17-2016 06:17 PM
steering servo question sleepy floyd Newbie General 4 12-26-2015 05:40 PM
steering servo question ariel Newbie General 1 03-31-2015 12:21 AM
Servo Steering Question hookem1 Newbie General 11 02-22-2014 11:38 AM
question about my steering servo?? hill270 Electronics 15 11-28-2011 07:14 PM