Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: High torque, low speed driveline?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

Default High torque, low speed driveline?

I would like to find (or build) a driveline that provides massive torque with a top speed of around 5mph. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
RS10XT david is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: High torque, low speed driveline?

in other words you want bullet proof axles ????

I have used 10 different axles, 9 moa and an emaxx and all off them have weak points, mostly
in the axles themselves or the steering whether it is dogbone, cvd, or universal. the locker is the next
place for problems.

here are a few vids for your perusal and information. I just looked at rc tractor pulling, maybe you can get some ideas
these videos were reminding me of the emaxx but there are better trucks out there.
enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmNj-Q_rJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJRCjM6T_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmw0wja-Yg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzb-5omJaXw

just watched numerous videos and I was surprised to see all kinds from axials ax10 family to summits and emaxxes
to hpi savage and losi5.some are gas others electric and both brushed and brushless.
pretty much you buy quality parts and they tend to last, but cheap parts and they break
using the right gears for the motor and you can get the power

look at the hpi savage and the losi5. they might be 1-8 or even 1-5 scale. then the summit.
enjoy
do you want moa or shaft driven?
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

What I am looking for is a VERY slow car with a full throtle, top speed of 5mph. This way there is good control of the slow speeds throughout the range of the throttle position. Crawling tough technical courses with ulltra tacky tires I don't want quick speed changes, rather slow, high resolution speed changes to maintain traction. Thanks for your reply.
RS10XT david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The first thing I would suggest looking at is what truck will be the base for your project. The RS10 wouldn't be a good base because of lack of aftermarket and relatively weak axles. Go for something from Axial that has the ability to beef up the axles to handle the torque. Then you'll want a high turn motor and whatever electronics you choose. A radio that you can modify the throttle curve and other settings will also be pretty crucial.

I would post this thread up in General Crawling or the Newbie forum because you'll get more hits.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

what he said
the rs10 has too many issues to be a good technical crawler

do decide if you want shaft or moa. I am moa so I would recommend the bully2 axles
they are pretty tough, and light.
technical crawling will need knuckle weights as opposed to weights on the wheels
many chassis (chassi?) are available or make your own same with links

but at the end of the day it is the driver not the rig that makes the most difference
be nice to see a irorock - international race of rockcrawlers
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

what about a castlelink friendly esc? adj throttle curve to what ever you want. ae2 can be picked up relatively cheap and i was reading you can run moa off single motor esc. just a thought
jamesthe1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthe1v View Post
what about a castlelink friendly esc? adj throttle curve to what ever you want. ae2 can be picked up relatively cheap and i was reading you can run moa off single motor esc. just a thought
Yep, you can run MOA just fine on that ESC. That's the same ESC I ran in my RS10 when I had it. It's a great budget ESC and I still have it in my scaler. The bigger problem is lack of motor options and weak axles when you start putting a lot of torque or power into them and the lack of upgrades that will make them better.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote

High torque, low speed driveline? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tranny gears, high torque low-pro servo, and knuckles... What do I have for options? 89redranger Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 05-21-2011 08:33 AM
High torque / Low speed recommendations for the following idea ? melon Electronics 0 05-13-2011 01:52 AM
How to shift from high to low? Speed? LibertyPatriot General Crawlers 6 08-23-2005 04:22 AM