Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Free e10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Free e10

Let me begin with a story. Yesterday I drove to meet a guy who was going to purchase my nitro stadium truck at his house. After being lost for 30min on backroads with my brand new car needless to say I was fuming. I get to the guys house (in the middle of nowhere) and no one is there. I knock on the door and nothing. Now I am livid. 30 seconds later the dude pulls up his driveway in his (broke down) truck with a fresh case of bud light. He gets out and I put on my best face. Sell him the nitro car and when I am getting ready to leave mention that I am really into crawlers and run a local scale comp series. I also mentioned that my 16 month old son who was with me is super into crawlers too. Dude says "I have a crawler you can have for him for free". He goes in the house and pulls out this E10. I tell him thanks. Throw it in the car and head home.

Now... This is not my first crawler by any means, but I realize that many people in this section of the website are getting into this hobby as redcoats are very affordable. My plan is to modify this truck for free/next to nothing and allow my toddler to drive it as it is his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Free e10

Last night I was able to run the truck for about 20 min. I did a standard incline test for traction and crawl ability. It was able to achieve 48 degrees. (My scale crawlers can do 59).

First impressions of the truck.

It is solid and doesn't feel super cheap
There is way too much torque twist
This thing sits way too high

The servo is tilted toward the front decreasing its ability to turn

The knuckles stop the steering throw way too soon due to these tabs

There are huge axle hangers that hang below he axle and will catch every rock imaginable.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

So... I began to make some changes.

First things first. The springs are now gone. I always run full droop on everything and this thing sat way to high. Notice he difference.

Next I moved the bottom front link ahead to straighten out the servo issue. Not perfect but I will fix it the rest of the way later.

Time to see how it does now.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks way better. Still crawled like crap. I really need to fix the torque twist.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The E10 as I'm sure you've figured out is quite similar to the old AX10 scorpion. Most mods that improve that platforms crawling ability also apply to the E10.

Cheap/free mods include shaving off the steering stops and the posts on the bottom of the axle. The center one does open up into the axle housing if you shave off much, so I JB welded mine from the inside prior to doing this. I converted mine to a semi droop setup for not much expense using the stock shocks plus internal springs from TCS and some losi external springs. I also modified my stock skid plate to triangulate the lower links and to use countersunk screws. I fabbed mounting plates for battery and electronics to move them lower. Wheel weights are cheap and also help. The car is pretty slow and can be sped up easily and cheaply, but slow might be good for your toddler.

You will likely need to address the lockers if it hasn't already been done as these are plastic and prone to breaking (particularly in the hands of a toddler). There are drop in aluminum lockers you can get cheap from China on ebay or you can modify things to accept axial iron crosses.

Tires will be a limiting point for crawling ability, but obviously this starts getting a little more expensive to address.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Haha. Thanks man.

I Am able to spend the cash. I have 4 running scalers and have no problem. Just trying to play the free game if I can.

I am truly interested in how well I can make this thing crawl for free. Many of the items you had mentioned have been on my list. If I break lockers I will immediately replace with spare axial parts I have kicking around.

I am well aware the tires aren't the best. I have several pairs I could throw on at any time, but I have some ideas for them as well.

Just had the tranny apart and there was not a drop of lube in there.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

I've never put a drop of grease or lube in any Axial transmission because they're plastic (minus the middle gear). All have been fine for years. Nor any Tamiya or Losi transmission.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Interesting. I have always run grease. I didn't run a lot just a little.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Transmission hasn't been a notable failure point for this rig. Some have reported over 2 years running on stock tranny even without grease. Think I've seen 1 post about someone having to replace it.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Transmission hasn't been a notable failure point for this rig. Some have reported over 2 years running on stock tranny even without grease. Think I've seen 1 post about someone having to replace it.

Nice. That's good to hear.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Self lubricating, or oil impregnated plastic.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default Free e10

Well I flipped the tranny in hopes of a slight torque twist reduction.

I also rearranged all the electronics.

Had to make two chassis supports, but got rid of the old one

Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Definitely watching this as I got one for my son, which he loves and I get to build it lol
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Does the addition of grease in the tranny depend on whether the truck will be run in water (submerged)? I ran my E10 transmission dry in wet condition and never had a chance to open it up before it was sold.

This thread had me questioning whether or not I should add grease to the transmission as I intend to fully submerge my new E10.
TIME MACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post
Does the addition of grease in the tranny depend on whether the truck will be run in water (submerged)? I ran my E10 transmission dry in wet condition and never had a chance to open it up before it was sold.

This thread had me questioning whether or not I should add grease to the transmission as I intend to fully submerge my new E10.

Honestly after seeing all the plastic gears in the tranny I am not sure that it matters if there is grease. One of the only reasons to do it would be for the bearings.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

So the truck works great. Thor rearranging of the electronics has helped the performance a lot. However, the torque twist has not improved which is a bummer. I think some lower link triangulation is in order in the future.

However, I have run into a bigger problem.
My little mans hands just aren't big enough to reach the throttle. He can run the steering no problem and loves it. (Will probably need a new servo soon as it is getting a workout)

But the trigger is too far to reach. Any suggestions out there to make it more friendly for his little hands?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #17
RCC Addict

When i had my mrc it had a small controller, definitely compared to the redcat one. maybe a smaller scale crawler controller would work just a thought.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Yeah. I looked around for one and there really weren't many options out there.

I think I may look into some way to modify it to work with his tiny hands. Haha.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I know this thread is a bit old but have u thought bout a rx tx from one of the hpi micro drift cars like this one #105406 HPI TF-11 - 2.4GHZ TRANSMITTER (2CH)
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Free e10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
e10 Greger Non Crawler RC's 3 04-14-2013 03:20 PM
Hpi E10 Tortuga275 Non Crawler RC's 9 12-18-2009 10:24 PM
Hpi E10 kurt Non Crawler RC's 5 04-04-2008 03:44 PM
Free Free Pro Line Ambush Body FREE GIVEAWAY! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 144 08-26-2007 09:54 PM