Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Slide-in Camper Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Slide-in Camper Build

I ordered a Slide-in camper kit from Speedweigand the other day and it arrived...

First thing I did was lay out all the parts and figure what went where. Once I had it all figured out I labeled each part to aid in assembly. Here is a pic and my list..

#1 Base/bottom
#2 Front wall w/window
#3 Side walls (2 pieces)
#4 Over-cab piece
#5 1" x 7 1/2" piece (goes between #4 & #6)
#6 Front/top angle w/window
#7 Roof
#8 Rear wall w/door

I dry fitted all the parts and then proceeded to gluing them up.

Starting with part #1 glue #2 to the front, in front of #1 and flush with the bottom. Then I attached one side #3 to 1 & 2 and repeated for the other half. I held it all together using Frog tape. When I was happy with the fitments I laid a bead of glue on the inside seams.

Now waiting for glue to dry...
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Slide-in Camper Build

I now have piece #5 and #6 glued in place. I did these two first as to get the alignment right. Once the glue is dry I will put #4 in place...

Pics...

Last edited by 1rcmonster; 10-31-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I took and trimmed part #4 down to 3 17/32" to get the placement a bit tighter to #5. I also put a slight bevel on the leading edge. Pic...

Then I moved around to the back of the camper and glued in #8. You have to leave #8 down the thickness of the roof panel as it hangs over the back panel. Pic...

Assembly is going quite smooth. Once all is glued up there will be some sanding and filling to be done, nothing out of the ordinary when working with wood...
Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rcmonster View Post
I took and trimmed part #4 down to 3 17/32" to get the placement a bit tighter to #5. I also put a slight bevel on the leading edge. Pic...

Then I moved around to the back of the camper and glued in #8. You have to leave #8 down the thickness of the roof panel as it hangs over the back panel. Pic...

Assembly is going quite smooth. Once all is glued up there will be some sanding and filling to be done, nothing out of the ordinary when working with wood...
Looking good! Your really making some great progress

How did the instructions work out for you on what you have labeled as #4. That's the piece I was worried about...another option is to leave it full length and trim up #5 but I would rather work with the larger piece for safety's sake.

It was easier to assemble the prototypes as what is your #4 was long and #2 was cut to exact length. The current design uses part #2 to form the mattress retainer don't want your bed sliding all over the place!

Fwiw once you get all the pieces glued together douse it in Thompson's waterproofer or similar, even an ample coats of spray paint would work. From that point I used USC Icing and coated pretty much the whole thing. DA'd with 220 them blocked it out with 320 and started painting. If you try and sand the sides of the plywood there is a little problem. Some of the plywood is very hard while other parts are quite soft so sanding can create some waviness which is where I busted out the Icing. U.S. Chemical & Plastics
I realize most don't have this in their garage but I highly recommend it... works great for fixing nail holes in drywall too... sandable in minutes!
Speedweigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I found no instructions in my packaging, that is why I dry fitted everything. I had the whole thing taped together and labeled the pieces as I took it back apart.

Piece #2 needs to be long as it to keep the bedroll in place...

I think you could make #4 to my measurement but then others may build it differently than I am.

So far it is going together nicely. I plan on using a standard wood filler like we use at work and sanding with 220 then 320 grit papers. Will be using a fillable primer as well.

I am undecided on putting any interior in it as of yet. I may just cut some tinted windows and call it good, only time will tell.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I found no instructions in my packaging, that is why I dry fitted everything. I had the whole thing taped together and labeled the pieces as I took it back apart.

I think you could make #4 to my measurement but then others may build it differently than I am.

So far it is going together nicely. I plan on using a standard wood filler like we use at work and sanding with 220 then 320 grit papers. Will be using a fillable primer as well.

I am undecided on putting any interior in it as of yet. I may just cut some tinted windows and call it good, only time will tell.
Oh well you are doing excellent for not having anything to go by

Hmmm I emailed you a zipped copy of the instructions... here's the public link https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxK...WRPaERWbTI2U0k

Fillable primer should work great... I should of thought of that lol

I agree the interior is tricky. I may make one completely done up this winter but for now the bed, table and maybe a fire ext will be all I'm adding. That way I can put real trail supplies inside it... candy bars, bottles of water, dog bowl, pepper spray, etc...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

That's looking sweet. I think you should put an interior in it. I have started my own slide in camper build and did an interior. Maybe you can get some ideas for yours from mine. Here's my build: 1/10 Utility Trailer

The first part of the build is my trailer. The camper starts on the bottom of page one.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go. Either way your camper will be awesome!
Snowmaninhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaninhell View Post
That's looking sweet. I think you should put an interior in it. I have started my own slide in camper build and did an interior. Maybe you can get some ideas for yours from mine. Here's my build: 1/10 Utility Trailer

The first part of the build is my trailer. The camper starts on the bottom of page one.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go. Either way your camper will be awesome!
Holy Shite! that's a nice camper you have!

Could I bother you for the inside dimensions of your bed to see if my hilux one will fit those w/o any mods?

Thanks
Speed
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thank you Speed. The bed on my trailer inside measurements 200mm cab to tailgate by 140mm at the narrowest from drivers to passengers sides by 35mm deep. Hope that helps.

BTW - I really like your kit idea. Super slick way to go!

- Snow
Snowmaninhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaninhell View Post
Thank you Speed. The bed on my trailer inside measurements 200mm cab to tailgate by 140mm at the narrowest from drivers to passengers sides by 35mm deep. Hope that helps.

BTW - I really like your kit idea. Super slick way to go!

- Snow
No prob and thank you sir

The Hilux dimensions are 154x203 so it'd would work just fine except the locating pieces would need cut down to 140... woohoo more applications lol

My design was intended more for the guy that's going to roll it down a hill then try again I really wanted to do the drop bed but for practical purposes it just fakes it. That way you can camp in the morning then pull some body clips and be right back to your trail rig. Eventually I'll have the pieces to convert it for the guy that wants to cut the tailgate off and go all out... realistically though making them out of some balsa wouldn't be that hard either.

I still can't get over the interior in yours, I was going to "do one up" this winter but I'm afraid you've sat the bar too high! Maybe I'll just work on my Hazard County meth lab scene where the camper gets blown up!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Took most of the day off from building to let the glue set up nicely. Removed all the tape and I have to say this thing is very rigid even without the roof on yet.

I picked up some 1/8" thick lexan to make my windows, now to mark them all and cut them out. I lay down masking tape on one side of the lexan and trace around the window openings with a fine tip sharpie. Then I cut them out a tish big on a scroll saw and dremel them down for a nice tight fit.

Once they are all cut and fitted I will paint them with a silver frame and either leave the windows clear or black them out. I will be holding them in place with a bead of shoe goo or clear silicone.

I will post more pics tomorrow once I have cut and fitted the windows.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedweigand View Post

I still can't get over the interior in yours, I was going to "do one up" this winter but I'm afraid you've sat the bar too high! Maybe I'll just work on my Hazard County meth lab scene where the camper gets blown up!
Quote:
Blowing things up is always good! The bar isn't set too high. It's not meant to be a competition. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be perfect. It's all about the fun of it and helping your brothers out.
Idk why you took this down, your absolutely right and I couldn't agree more. What I meant was I was going to detail one up to show some possibilities to folks looking to buy the campers. I'd rather link to your thread and work on building a fleet of slide-ins I want to do one clapped out with liquid electrical tape for roof tar, some stickers and primer...

Quote:
Took most of the day off from building to let the glue set up nicely. Removed all the tape and I have to say this thing is very rigid even without the roof on yet.

I picked up some 1/8" thick lexan to make my windows, now to mark them all and cut them out. I lay down masking tape on one side of the lexan and trace around the window openings with a fine tip sharpie. Then I cut them out a tish big on a scroll saw and dremel them down for a nice tight fit.

Once they are all cut and fitted I will paint them with a silver frame and either leave the windows clear or black them out. I will be holding them in place with a bead of shoe goo or clear silicone.

I will post more pics tomorrow once I have cut and fitted the windows.
It will be very stout when finished... what color are you going to paint it?

Last edited by Speedweigand; 11-02-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Unintentional thread jacking
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

No progress today. It is cold here (2 and the scroll saw is in my parents un-heated garage. Hoping it warms up a bit tomorrow or Sunday so I can cut my windows out (and change oil on mom's snowblower)

I did get the back end pieces on, the small box in front of the rear panel. Still really undecided on the interior.

As for a color, I am going to scour the internet for pics of campers and make my decision then.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Looks like a great start Dave nice job on the scroll saw cuts, they look straight and clean
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

The kit is from Speedweigand and is CNC cut. I am only going to be cutting my own windows from lexan on the scroll saw. Good to see you are still around tho J...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I actually have some windows cut now, .075" clear plexi PM me if you don't wanna make them yourself...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Went to my parents on Sunday and cut the windows from the 1/8" lexan. Sat down Wednesday night and dremeled/sanded them down to a nice snug fit. I figured I have about fifty cents into the windows.

Now to scour the internet and find a color scheme I like then sand, fill, sand and prime the camper. More progress pics to follow, thanks for looking...
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Subscribed for additional info and photos.
CAIRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #19

Hmmm think this could be scaled up to fit in a 1/8 scale truck. I think this would be awesome in my SS build.
J'aimesetrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Filling and sanding are complete. Time to shoot some primer. I am using white primer as the main color will be white.

I went to the LHS and found some .020" thick, V-groove sheet styrene. I will be cutting this into a strip and attatching it to the sides and rear panel, painted silver. Looking at pics on the web I noticed alot of the older model campers had this accent piece so I figured, wtf, may as well try it out.

I will post pics as soon as the paint is shot and try to show it with and without the styrene strips...

Stay tuned...

Slide-in Camper Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper Speedweigand Scale parts 77 06-14-2018 05:42 AM
Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper Speedweigand Paint and Body 96 02-06-2013 07:18 AM
I wanna build a camper! Duuuuuuuude General Scale Talk 43 01-10-2012 05:53 PM
camper shell hdcustomizer General Scale Talk 8 04-12-2007 08:42 PM