Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Dinky RC Tandem Trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Metal shaper

Default Dinky RC Tandem Trailer

Here is the new Dinky RC Tandem Trailer.
http://new.dinkyrc.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=63
I've been wanting a Carter Fab & Machine hauler but could never pull the trigger on one of the steel versions. Always seemed a bit pricey and are obviously very heavy. I had just purchased material to build my own when Dinky brought this gem to the table.
All ABS construction keeping weight considerably lighter than the steel versions. It's very well thought out and I will be showing here how I modified mine to my desires. There will also be a line of trailer accessories coming out for it including fenders.
Out of the shipping box, I'm not sure if they all come assembled or if I got special treatment for buying the first one. The deck size is 10.500"x22.250" and the forward 2 holes in the floor can be boxed in for storage. I brought this up to Matt so we will see. Either way, it's a super easy mod if you wanted since the trailer is ABS.

You'll need to install the trailer jack. The base is shaped like a foot. Haha. And it actually does screw up and down making it functional.

The ramps must be fitted by the customer but this is for your own good. They are left about .015"-.020" oversize on their assembled thickness so that you can adjust how tight they fit under the trailer. I did this by assembling the ramps and then using a bench top belt sander to fine tune them. Took about 10 minutes for both pieces carefully checking fit as I went.
(Pics Coming) sorry

I added a Tractor Supply tool box to the tongue of the trailer. You will have to bolt the box down through the bottom and also through the back side of the box through the front frame rail. This needs to be done because the top plate of the tongue actually provides a lot of rigidity to the front end that you will lose when you cut it. You can mount the tool box on top or in the bed of the trailer if that concerns you.

I also through a Proline faux winch on with a Warn sticker kit to dress up the scaliness a little.

I chose to use items from RC4WD for the rolling stock. I used the 1.55 Desert King tires and 1.55 Landies Vintage stamped steel bead locks. Chose this setup for 3 main reasons: scale appearance, size, and the weight of the trailer when loaded will put a lot of stress on the tires wanting to separate from the wheels while turning sharp.

And don't forget your hitch, made for the SCX-10 and TF2.
Attached Images

CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: Dinky RC Tandem Trailer

o hell yeah!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ok i like it but i saw on there website it requires more parts?? can you cover that?? and also do you have to assemble the hole thing??
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Status...ADDICTED!

Saweeeeet!!! Just ordered mine.
ceedawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Wheels and tires are very fitting, good choice
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
ok i like it but i saw on there website it requires more parts?? can you cover that?? and also do you have to assemble the hole thing??
The parts required are the stock plastic axial Scx10 knuckles(4), bearings for the knuckles, king pin bushings(4), outer stubs from stock dog bone Scx10 axle shafts(4), and wheels and tires of your choice.
On the tire choice, I recommend something in the 3.75" range to keep it more scale for a car hauler, RC4wd has a few options there as far as tread choice. You can also use your stock pull off Scx10 tires and wheels but it will probably not clear the fenders when they are released.
As far as assembling the trailer, that I'm not sure as mine came as shown in the pic leaning against the no it was shipped in. I did have to assemble the ramps and install the trailer jack.
I will have pics of the ramps and there storage position tonight.
If the normal kits come completely unassembled, don't fret. The parts are cut to fit right with each other an its basically like a jigsaw puzzle. You can also personalize yours by simply turning the parts over revealing the smooth gloss black side instead of the textured flat black.
Mine has not been glued together yet and it's pretty solid as is(recommend gluing joints before towing under load).
I ordered my axle parts from RPP Hobby.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Metal shaper

Even with buying the extras, it still came in right at the price of the metal car hauler produced by another manufacturer that has a much smaller floor.
Much more to come so stay tuned, mine will be able to haul my Southern Comfort buggy when all said and done, basically modifying it exactly like my 1:1 crawler hauler.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've been eyeing this for a couple of weeks now. Waiting for dinky to release the fenders and I'm pulling the trigger on one! Seems like a great product!
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Metal shaper

Here are the ramp pics and undercarriage pics as promised.

Here you can see all the structural bracing and the holes for routing you wiring for lights. Also the storage slots for the ramps.

Here are the 2 different surface options you can choose and this goes for all the panels, not just the ramps. You can also see the "puzzle" style assembly on the right that helps lock the parts together. I use regular CA glue for final assembly. Also, the sides of the ramps(raised edges) that add the structural integrity as well as lock them in place when used for loading, are the parts that need to be fitted for your preference.

Here is the sander I used which was very easy and quick.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Those tires are sweet! Might use them on mine.

Yes, every trailer will be pre-assembled.

Be sure to glue before towing under load.
Use a small rubber mallet to reassemble.
muddauber jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Metal shaper

Good news Ty!
Man I can't wait to get my fenders and do my personal mod to be able to haul the buggy. Gonna look sweet and make for some great video.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Can't wait to get my order out here in Australia. The woodsman trailers are great, these look to be even more detailed
sierrajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Matt makes some great products. I got the last all steel crawler hauler he made and it is a work of art. He had told me he had something in the works for the trailers and this looks like a great alternative. Affordable, light, easy to assemble, and it looks great! You will have a blast adding all the scale details to it.

Last edited by dont slow down; 01-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Metal shaper

Got my ABS from tapplastics.com today. Ordered it pre cut width and 36" long, 2 times. Then I got my heat gun, razor, dremel, drill, and tape measure and got to work.
I wanted the trailer modified similar to my 1:1 crawler hauler so that it could also haul my buggy,

I started with the strips and made small relief cuts on the under side where the bends would be. Put the strips in the vice and applied heat. They bolt to the trailer using a couple of the stock holes for the production fenders, and also built supports for the extended areas that bolt to the sides of the trailer frame.

Next I will remove portions of the top rails so the bed will be 3" wider for the larger rigs.
Here is a similar width truck

Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Metal shaper

Got my trailer deck finalized just in time, as I broke the rear steering ram on the buggy,
Now the buggy fits nice and flat on the trailer and don't have to drive over the rails,
It will also hold my short course trucks too.
Also got it glued together at the seams so will be ready for a test run this weekend when the little man shows up, just need to get my buggy fixed now.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #16
Status...ADDICTED!

Any chance you could post a pic or three of how the knuckles and stub axles mount up? I could prob figure it out when the parts show up but would be kinda cool to know beforehand. Thx for any help in advance
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
Metal shaper

They are really easy and almost self described when you get them in hand, but no problem. I didn't remove the wheels I didn't have time this morning but I'll talk you through it with the pic I took.
When you get the trailer, there are 4 tabs(2 each side) that stick out with holes in them. This is where the upper kingpin bolt attaches.
On the underside in the frame rail of the trailer there is are holes drilled and tapped for where the steering arm bolts in. There are 4 small delrin washers, one will go between the steering arm and trailer when bolted together. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359032882.907615.jpg
Views: 3698
Size:  57.5 KB
You can see both mounting bolts in that pic.
Need anything else just ask and I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Status...ADDICTED!

That about handles it...thanks a lot! Can't wait to get mine and great job on yours. Very much appreciate the post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Very cool. Nicely done fellas.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Metal shaper

tried to grab a couple quick vids of the trailer being used. Stripped the spur gear in my buggy so I had to use the winch for aide. Trailer pulls well on uneven terrain too.
Broke and loaded - YouTube
Dinky RC Tandem Trailer - YouTube

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-accessories/423357-dinky-rc-tandem-trailer.html
Posted By For Type Date
rc-trailers | BoardReader This thread Refback 02-15-2013 11:50 AM

Dinky RC Tandem Trailer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer Trash. Dinky R/C Woodsman Trailer tozrovr Scale Accessories 25 05-29-2014 02:48 PM
Looking for tandem axle cargo trailer Agama Colorado 0 11-07-2011 10:09 AM
gooseneck tandem trailer Double J Chit Chat 39 05-01-2006 11:55 AM