Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: RC Truck Warz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RC Truck Warz

RC Truck Warz - RC TRUCK STOP : RC TRUCK STOP

The above linked article contains rules and guidelines for a scale truck event called RC Truck Warz. These events can be a few hours or all day depending on how many of the "Stages" are included in the comp.

The quick and dirty is that a RC Truck Warz event has three different Segments--Tough Truck, Speed and Skills. Each Segment is designed to test the driver and vehicle in different ways. And, each segment can have anywhere from one to four Stages (but always equal amount of Stages in each Segment).

Looking for feedback and hoping to spread interest.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC Truck Warz

So basically you're taking rules and ideas from TTC, G6 and SORCCA and combining them to make your own event? Cool.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
So basically you're taking rules and ideas from TTC, G6 and SORCCA and combining them to make your own event? Cool.
Sure. Well, yes and no. Very much like a TTC event and a little like a G6 (no super long course and multiple vehicles on course at the same time). I've done a G6 (love it) and I've been involved with many TTC-style events. I've attended many scale comps, but not sure how official to SORCCA they were.

When I dreamt up RC Truck Warz, I essentially reverse engineered it. I envisioned an event that a guy with a bone-stock Honcho could have just as much fun as a guy with a one-of-a-kind hand-welded tuber could. I hoped to create an event that a guy with no real crawling experience could compete with a guy who wins every 2.2 comp he enters. Talent and preparation will still win--as it should. Same as in go-fast racing where no matter what rules you put in place, the fast guys will still win. But I wanted equalizers ... even some events that took the truck almost completely out of the equation. For example ...

Sample RC Truck Warz event at Bob's Imaginary Hobby Store
Segment 1
Obstacle Course ... the experienced guy with the dialed rig wins
Segment 2
Slalom ... the racer kid with the Ridgecrest wins
Segment 3
Tire Change ... the guy who just bought a Honcho wins

As an added bonus/interesting element, for RC Truck Warz, you have to build a truck that excels at many events. A truck that wins a sled pull may not do well in a drag race and a truck does well in a mud run may not work well on a rock crawl. And, you're not allowed to change anything during an event--no tire swaps or weight additions.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds just like a TTC to me with a few extras thrown in. Building a TTC rig is just that, a combination that excels on as many different courses as possible. Most of the time, a heavy truly scale rig doesn't do as well as a lexan bodied rig. Still sounds like fun. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sounds just like a TTC to me with a few extras thrown in.
True, true. I guess that's how it all started.

Quote:
Building a TTC rig is just that, a combination that excels on as many different courses as possible. Most of the time, a heavy truly scale rig doesn't do as well as a lexan bodied rig.
No doubt.

Quote:
Still sounds like fun. Good luck!
Thank you. Who knows, maybe we can participate in a RC Truck Warz event out your way. My family and I are hoping to eventually relocate to northwest.

In addition having a format with a specific purpose, the big part of this is to get some established rules and guidelines out there so clubs and hobby stores can started easily.

Last edited by MattH; 09-17-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post

Thank you. Who knows, maybe we can participate in a RC Truck Warz event out your way. My family and I are hoping to eventually relocate to northwest.

In addition having a format with a specific purpose, the big part of this is to get some established rules and guidelines out there so clubs and hobby stores can started easily.
Or you can just come to one of our monthly ORCRC scale comps or even enter one of our TTC's on my railroad.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
I envisioned an event that a guy with a bone-stock Honcho could have just as much fun as a guy with a one-of-a-kind hand-welded tuber could. I hoped to create an event that a guy with no real crawling experience could compete with a guy who wins every 2.2 comp he enters. Talent and preparation will still win--as it should. Same as in go-fast racing where no matter what rules you put in place, the fast guys will still win. But I wanted equalizers ... even some events that took the truck almost completely out of the equation. For example ...

Sample RC Truck Warz event at Bob's Imaginary Hobby Store
Segment 1
Obstacle Course ... the experienced guy with the dialed rig wins
Segment 2
Slalom ... the racer kid with the Ridgecrest wins
Segment 3
Tire Change ... the guy who just bought a Honcho wins

As an added bonus/interesting element, for RC Truck Warz, you have to build a truck that excels at many events. A truck that wins a sled pull may not do well in a drag race and a truck does well in a mud run may not work well on a rock crawl. And, you're not allowed to change anything during an event--no tire swaps or weight additions.
Not sure I follow your intent. It sounds like a TTC with a different name.

Guys with no crawling experience can still compete with the "good" drivers. Doesn't take a special event for them to do so. It all goes back to "You're only as good as those you compete against."

Quick scenario - not too long ago here on the island we had a TTC event. I helped set up the 1.9 obstacle course. I set it up (didn't drive anything to set it up) with one gate (number 4) that would require winching. Everything else should be able to be driven by guys competing with TTC rigs. They were all getting DNFs.

Someone told me that some guys were saying the course was impossible, too hard, etc...so I got my daughters stock Honcho (by stock I mean plastic steering and suspension links too ) and drove the entire course - with the exception of gate 4 - the intended winch gate. With a winch I'd have made that gate as well.

I hadn't driven, or competed, in years.

Quote:
Looking for feedback and hoping to spread interest.
You might have interest locally - when you put on events - but other than that, I think it'll be difficult to make this any bigger than on the local level due to the already popular and established TCC and G6 events.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You should get Stacey David to MC he likes to spell words that normally end in s with a z too.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Or you can just come to one of our monthly ORCRC scale comps or even enter one of our TTC's on my railroad.
I would love that. I've watched videos of these events many times.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Not sure I follow your intent. It sounds like a TTC with a different name.

Guys with no crawling experience can still compete with the "good" drivers. Doesn't take a special event for them to do so. It all goes back to "You're only as good as those you compete against."

Quick scenario - not too long ago here on the island we had a TTC event. I helped set up the 1.9 obstacle course. I set it up (didn't drive anything to set it up) with one gate (number 4) that would require winching. Everything else should be able to be driven by guys competing with TTC rigs. They were all getting DNFs.

Someone told me that some guys were saying the course was impossible, too hard, etc...so I got my daughters stock Honcho (by stock I mean plastic steering and suspension links too ) and drove the entire course - with the exception of gate 4 - the intended winch gate. With a winch I'd have made that gate as well.

I hadn't driven, or competed, in years.

You might have interest locally - when you put on events - but other than that, I think it'll be difficult to make this any bigger than on the local level due to the already popular and established TCC and G6 events.
I'll try my best to explain my intentions. One intention was to put rules out there that anyone could use and follow anywhere.

My second intention was a bit more complicated. I saw having a bigger variety of, what I'm calling, Stages as being an equalizer.

A TTC event is designed to be multi-discipline, but I wanted to take it one step further. This is what probably wasn't as clear as it could be.

I'm not looking to make it all-out easy, so a stock RTR could beat a well-prepared comp rig. On the obstacle course, the good driver with the matching good vehicle will smoke an inexperienced guy driving an RTR. That said, the guy gets 100 points for first even if he won by 10 minutes. The other guy gets, say, 91 points for finishing 10th. The next Stage might be the tire change. For the most part, the rig is now 100% out of the equation. This Stage is somewhat of an equalizer.

Does it guarantee the new guy will win? Not at all, but he can see a lot better that he technically stands a chance.

In go-fast racing, I've said for years that no matter what you do to the rules, the fast guys will still win. Rock crawling or scale crawling is no different. I am looking to put some universal rules out there and take the multi-discipline concept one big step further.

Last edited by MattH; 09-17-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
You should get Stacey David to MC he likes to spell words that normally end in s with a z too.
Ah, Stacey David. I used to work with a guy that one of the few things we agreed on was that Stacey David is kind of annoying (probably a sincerely nice guy, but annoying). The swapping "s" with "z" didn't bother me as much as his ending every sentence with this odd chuckle. He could say his camera man died shooting the last segment and I'd swear he'd chuckle.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'll try my best to explain my intentions. One intention was to put rules out there that anyone could use and follow anywhere.

My second intention was a bit more complicated. I saw having a bigger variety of, what I'm calling, Stages as being an equalizer.

A TTC event is designed to be multi-discipline, but I wanted to take it one step further. This is what probably wasn't as clear as it could be.

I'm not looking to make it all-out easy, so a stock RTR could beat a well-prepared comp rig. On the obstacle course, the good driver with the matching good skills will smoke an inexperienced guy driving an RTR. That said, the guy gets 100 points for first even if he won by 10 minutes. The other guy gets, say, 91 points for finishing 10th. The next Stage might be the tire change. For the most part, the rig is now 100% out of the equation. This Stage is somewhat of an equalizer.

Does it guarantee the new guy will win? Not at all, but he can see a lot better that he technically stands a chance.

In go-fast racing, I've said for years that no matter what you do to the rules, the fast guys will still win. Rock crawling or scale crawling is no different. I am looking to put some universal rules out there and take the multi-discipline concept one big step further.
So you want somebody to have a chance to win by changing a tire faster than someone else? Really? I think the pussification of things is getting really annoying.....helping people feel better about their chances of winning by putting dumb things in like a tire change and making it worth as much as the driving part. Let people compete and learn, just like I did 6 years ago.....

I think a normal TTC with 7 courses where the winner is determined by driving skill and vehicle setup is just fine.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So you want somebody to have a chance to win by changing a tire faster than someone else? Really? I think the pussification of things is getting really annoying.....helping people feel better about their chances of winning by putting dumb things in like a tire change and making it worth as much as the driving part. Let people compete and learn, just like I did 6 years ago.....

I think a normal TTC with 7 courses where the winner is determined by driving skill and vehicle setup is just fine.
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. Tire change was one example. I've seen it done twice--once at one of these events and once at a G6. I don't recall anyone thinking it was about pussification. It is just a different element. It's all just playing with toy trucks.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

... and someone will come up with a quick tire change system if it'll always be an event. There will always be those that like to compete and those that want to win. Noobs or not some people either enjoy the hobby or get turned off by others depending on how they feel about the scene.

If it were me at one of these events I'd chop down my axle shafts for less threads and bring a powered nut driver
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Oppan Gangnam Style

Reading your explanation of how you want to take it a "big" step further doesn't seem like anything noteworthy except adding some fluff to what is already out there. If you added in programming an ESC and setting up channel mixing then you might have something, I'd be a loser then. I would rather spend my time crawling and competing. I personally don't think tire changes really interests the masses. I know in a G6, it can be fun on occasion but we are in this sport to drive/crawl and share it with like minded individuals. Like Tim said, if you want to be competitive, pay your dues. Learn how your truck reacts to obstacles and adjust from there. I don't see any issues with just competing in a G6.

Why should the new guy be an instant winner anyhow? Life is about learning from mistakes and failure (losing) and achieving a win or goal through determination.

No offence but after thinking about it, your idea kinda reminds me of how many kids are raised these days... instant gratification.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Reading your explanation of how you want to take it a "big" step further doesn't seem like anything noteworthy except adding some fluff to what is already out there. If you added in programming an ESC and setting up channel mixing then you might have something, I'd be a loser then. I would rather spend my time crawling and competing. I personally don't think tire changes really interests the masses. I know in a G6, it can be fun on occasion but we are in this sport to drive/crawl and share it with like minded individuals. Like Tim said, if you want to be competitive, pay your dues. Learn how your truck reacts to obstacles and adjust from there. I don't see any issues with just competing in a G6.

Why should the new guy be an instant winner anyhow? Life is about learning from mistakes and failure (losing) and achieving a win or goal through determination.

No offence but after thinking about it, your idea kinda reminds me of how many kids are raised these days... instant gratification.
That's cool. Thanks for your input. Just to be clear, I am not--nor did I--say this would make a new guy an instant winner. The conversation has just slipped in that direction. In fact, a couple of times I tried to express just the opposite. This is by no means about making everyone a winner.

The idea is to take the multi-disipline aspect further. I've done these events and they are have been very well received. I have also done a G6 out west and they are very different. G6 is cool, but just different. Also, the tire change is an example; it is not suggested to be in every event. A club or hobby store can never use it if they like. They should use what works for them.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
... and someone will come up with a quick tire change system if it'll always be an event. There will always be those that like to compete and those that want to win. Noobs or not some people either enjoy the hobby or get turned off by others depending on how they feel about the scene.

If it were me at one of these events I'd chop down my axle shafts for less threads and bring a powered nut driver
Again, tire change is an example and is unlikely to be used every time. It's up to the event host as to what "Stages" they use in their event.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm all for constructive criticism and I asked for feedback, but I would hate for the personal bashing to derail a topic others may be interested in.

The concept isn't about making everyone a winner. I am not suggesting that--by any means. I am suggesting a format tailored to everyone from beginners to experienced. That's all.

I know this idea may not appeal to everyone and that is fine. Same goes for G6. Many love the idea, but it is still not for everyone.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Scale Detail Engineering

I think it's a fine idea. True, it is just combining a scale event with a go fast event... but as long as it's fun, who cares?
I can see it bringing Traxxas go fast guys to crawling.
Scalers are awesome to see in action, if you're already into rc you can't help but get hooked.
Motor turn and gearing would be interesting... or everyone runs a pro4.
I know my near 10lb trucks running 6s can kick butt in a sled pull but they ain't winning no slalmon speed run.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Donkey Punch Champion!

In my opinion...your idea stinks. Silly, Purple McDonald's character...
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote

RC Truck Warz - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old comp truck turned scale truck (the rebuild!) Metal Masher 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 01-02-2013 01:23 AM
LOOKIE HERE!!! (Good inexpensive 2.2 parts truck or basher truck...) STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Chit Chat 0 08-24-2007 12:44 PM