Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Modded Wraith.. C2 possibly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Modded Wraith.. C2 possibly?

I've recently decided to build another scaler/crawler after missing my scx10 based wrangler for a year or so. I really like the wraith chassis, but I like the scale look of the scx10s. I'm STRONGLY considering buying a writh chassis and putting scx10 axles under it and modding hte wheelbase a bit to make it look more scale friendly. I've poked around the site and seen this question *asked*, but I haven't seen a definitive annswer so I'm asking formally in the rules section of our forum: Can the Wraith be modded to fit into Class 2? I'm sure C1 is out of the question, but if I bring the wheels closer to the body with scx10 axles, shorten the wheelbase a bit, and meet all other C2 requirements, can I run it in C2? If anyone has official word, please post here.. otherwise, I'm getting another scx10 and starting there.
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Modded Wraith.. C2 possibly?

As of right now it is not a legal platform for the C2 class. The Wraith chassis is considered a full tube frame chassis. For class 2 the vehicle must have a ladder frame chassis or at least the front of a ladder frame (I.E. truggy).
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Turtle. I'm not sure how I missed that point when reading the darn rules 5 times. Well, I guess that answers my question. Too bad too. I still may build one just for fun.
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks just as scale as any C2 I seen at NWSC.

Maybe it's just because the rule was written before the wraith came out?

As far as a performance advantage, I don't see one. Both the scx & wraith have fixed link mounts on the skid.

I think this is something the rules committee should address.
Attached Images

Last edited by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE; 11-26-2012 at 06:21 PM.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post

As far as a performance advantage, I don't see one. Both the scx & wraith have fixed link mounts on the skid.

But where do you draw the line? If the Wraith is allowed why would something like a campbell buggy not be allowed?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

It has been discussed and even though that particular truck looks like a Class 2 rig, by opening Class 2 to tubers you are just opening a huge can of worms. Do you guys think a tube chassied Wraith with small tires is what you think of when you say "Class 2"?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
But where do you draw the line? If the Wraith is allowed why would something like a campbell buggy not be allowed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
It has been discussed and even though that particular truck looks like a Class 2 rig, by opening Class 2 to tubers you are just opening a huge can of worms. Do you guys think a tube chassied Wraith with small tires is what you think of when you say "Class 2"?
I agree & see it both ways. Maybe I just don't look for loopholes.

Maybe restricting it to unmodified plastic wraith chassis' w/production body shell/panels?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

They do look good with big 1.9's on

Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I do not think 100% tube frame vehicles are DOT aproved and street legal in the 1:1 world. And to me a ladder frame chopped down and heavily modified sounds more like something we would see on the streets, a daily driver multi purpose trail machine, from home to work and back, and off to the weekend's trail fun without having to get towed to the trail. That to me is what a C2 truck probably should resemble.

This is just my opinion and I cross my fingers this does not end up like the comp crawling debate we are experiencing.
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I originally wanted to run my 1.9 wraith in c2 but as was said, my interpretation of the rules and in the spirit of the class it just doesn't fit. It's a full tube chassis, be it metal or plastic.

The chassis really doesn't offer any advantages performance-wise imo, just looks damn cool with narrow axles.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Dragon View Post
I do not think 100% tube frame vehicles are DOT aproved and street legal in the 1:1 world. And to me a ladder frame chopped down and heavily modified sounds more like something we would see on the streets, a daily driver multi purpose trail machine, from home to work and back, and off to the weekend's trail fun without having to get towed to the trail. That to me is what a C2 truck probably should resemble.
Your description sounds more like C1 to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting Dragon View Post
This is just my opinion and I cross my fingers this does not end up like the comp crawling debate we are experiencing.
Don't know about that, don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I originally wanted to run my 1.9 wraith in c2 but as was said, my interpretation of the rules and in the spirit of the class it just doesn't fit. It's a full tube chassis, be it metal or plastic.

The chassis really doesn't offer any advantages performance-wise imo, just looks damn cool with narrow axles.
It does look cool. I don't really care either way, I just pointed out it can be a scale C2 rig & in some cases, scale-er than some C2's I've seen here.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Your description sounds more like C1 to me.
I have always been alittle confused with the labels: "Street, Trail, Modified". But by reading over the rules time and time again it seems the intention was Stock, Modified, Extreme.

I could see a stock plastic chassis'ed wraith running C2 but I think it would need to be just that. As WarPig and Turtle said - If you allow any tube buggy into class3 I think you will get the same agrument as C3. Should a tiny WeRock buggy be driving agains say Team3Six UA Tacoma?
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I don't mean to open a can of worms but someone is going to say it. What about cutting a scx frame to behind the skid and attaching it to a wraith frame? I know it would take some work and you would end up with a frankenscxwraithtruggy, but the way the rules are written it would be legal.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
I don't mean to open a can of worms but someone is going to say it. What about cutting a scx frame to behind the skid and attaching it to a wraith frame? I know it would take some work and you would end up with a frankenscxwraithtruggy, but the way the rules are written it would be legal.
I suppose that would be legal, but I really wonder if it would be worth the trouble. Basically the rules are there to try and keep a fairly level playing field in all classes. We want them to be simple enough that they are easy to use, understand and implement. Allowing one tuber in a class that it really shouldn't be in just isn't fair to everyone. The Wraith was built as a Class 3/rock racer rig and that's where it should stay. There are plenty of options to build a great Class 2 rig without touching a Wraith. Thanks for the replies and arguments guys! Keep 'em coming.....
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Quote:
I suppose that would be legal, but I really wonder if it would be worth the trouble. Basically the rules are there to try and keep a fairly level playing field in all classes. We want them to be simple enough that they are easy to use, understand and implement. Allowing one tuber in a class that it really shouldn't be in just isn't fair to everyone. The Wraith was built as a Class 3/rock racer rig and that's where it should stay. There are plenty of options to build a great Class 2 rig without touching a Wraith. Thanks for the replies and arguments guys! Keep 'em coming.....
Why are Truggys allow into Class 2

Truggy is KInda half Tuber?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1800 View Post
Why are Truggys allow into Class 2

Truggy is KInda half Tuber?
They typically have at least half a body and are recognizable. Most full tubers have panels and don't resemble a real truck.

Would you date someone that was kinda half woman?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
They typically have at least half a body and are recognizable. Most full tubers have panels and don't resemble a real truck.

Would you date someone that was kinda half woman?
Full Tuber with very clear body. want or need more?

Can easy throw class two tires if you need.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

OK, so that's one out of how many tubers that look like a real rig? We just don't want everyone deciding to build tubers in Class 2. I think most people agree that this is best for the class.

You didn't answer my half woman question.....or does it hit a little too close to home?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I'll agree, disallowing 1 plastic tuber to keep the entire class from turning in to tubers is the best idea.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OK, so that's one out of how many tubers that look like a real rig? We just don't want everyone deciding to build tubers in Class 2. I think most people agree that this is best for the class.

You didn't answer my half woman question.....or does it hit a little too close to home?
Quote:
I'll agree, disallowing 1 plastic tuber to keep the entire class from turning in to tubers is the best idea.
I am a Happily Married Man. But heck NO!!!!!

No Class2 Tuber

Heck I just don't feel Truggy should be Class 2. That's my point.

I have never seen a Truggy driven down the roads here.