Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: suggestion for c3 tire rule.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default suggestion for c3 tire rule.

Let's do away with the height rule. I just picked up some rc4wd mud bashers. Legal scale tires. Unloaded with stock foams mounted. Arguably 6" 5 and 7/8 to be exact.

So why play the manufacturer spec game? Let people use the scale tires available to build sweet scale trucks.

You want to try and make a 7" scale tire go through a 13" gate and handle well? Go for it. No way I would even run these 6" tires for anything but a mud bog.

Let's relax a bit and let scale be scale.

Just a suggestion fellows For c3.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: suggestion for c3 tire rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Let's do away with the height rule. I just picked up some rc4wd mud bashers. Legal scale tires. Unloaded with stock foams mounted. Arguably 6" 5 and 7/8 to be exact.

So why play the manufacturer spec game? Let people use the scale tires available to build sweet scale trucks.

You want to try and make a 7" scale tire go through a 13" gate and handle well? Go for it. No way I would even run these 6" tires for anything but a mud bog.

Let's relax a bit and let scale be scale.

Just a suggestion fellows For c3.
Don't worry, I'll find a way!

I get what you are saying but its to keep people from building ridiculous looking monster truckish looking rigs who could care less how scale they look...those people are out there.

There are so many good tires out there that fit the rules that all work great to get overly excited about this stuff, IMHO.

We start running bigger tires then those guys will push for wider gates and then it just gets out of hand. Id rather see arguments about knuckle weights and 3D interiors honestly. This could lead into class 2 going bigger tires, do we really want or need that?

Last year I won TTC and had sub 5.5", OG 2.2 swampers, and no rear steering. Decent driving, well built rig and a little bit of good luck will always win. Never after winning or loosing a comp have I ever thought the tires were the reason why.

So I don't know, have everybody run what they want and compete against a bunch of stupid looking monster trucks. Just make it a free for all?
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam63 View Post
Don't worry, I'll find a way!

I get what you are saying but its to keep people from building ridiculous looking monster truckish looking rigs who could care less how scale they look...those people are out there.

There are so many good tires out there that fit the rules that all work great to get overly excited about this stuff, IMHO.

We start running bigger tires then those guys will push for wider gates and then it just gets out of hand. Id rather see arguments about knuckle weights and 3D interiors honestly. This could lead into class 2 going bigger tires, do we really want or need that?

Last year I won TTC and had sub 5.5", OG 2.2 swampers, and no rear steering. Decent driving, well built rig and a little bit of good luck will always win. Never after winning or loosing a comp have I ever thought the tires were the reason why.

So I don't know, have everybody run what they want and compete against a bunch of stupid looking monster trucks. Just make it a free for all?
No one's runs stupid looking monsters. I run with a lot of guys that won't go to sorrca comps.

They like their xl swampers And Baja claws. And why are you going to make people ditch their 70$ tire investment just to run a scale comp? Tires that are no larger than the rc4wd mud bashers.

Some of these rules need reconsidered. And I say this for the love of scale.

Because as of now they only encompass a handful of peoples idea of scale. And the majority of scalers don't go to sorrca events. It's too troublesome to be truthful.

Me I will make it work. But i am very competitive.

. The demand for scale competition right now in my area is very high. And most do not care who's set of rules we follow. Neither do vendors.

Sorrca rules are followed for convenience sake. So people know what to expect.. And a good set of rules are appreciated.

Clubs do not like doing individual changes. Its too complicated. They like sticking to a given set of rules.

So that is why I posted this Suggested.

It should be considered.

Last edited by holycaveman; 03-21-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It is something that gets talked about at least 2 or 3 times every year, and within those talks I would guess 4 or more new ideas or changes ideas are bounced around each time. I can agree with your want and reasoning but not with the out come.
We are talking about a competition, there has to be rules that keep the playing field level for all. Now the current way not be the best, but it does also check boxes in other areas. Tech table, vendors (some who do actually pay attention more then you think), and all the other rules that just this 1 tire rule affect.

You have to think about a lot of things when you go to change a rule. Play devils advocate and start looking at things from many different angles.
Don't take any of this as me pushing you away, I am just trying to state the fact of how is goes. We need new ideas and open community, so for speaking up - I for one thank you.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would never run those big tires unless my build warranted them. I have seen a few that do. One really cool build on here does. So he runs the rc4wd bashers. Shame he doesn't have the other options he should have.

So in reality this only limits scale builds. if this build ran 6" scale tires then it would be more scale than a 10th scale hardbody with 5.5"tires. Which looks goofy as it is.

So again having this rule limits the scale builder rather than leveling a field.

If 5.75" tires worked I would run them. I currently have 5.18" xors. But am thinking about dropping down to 5 in flatirons.

But just because I run small tire doesn't mean everyone has to.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I guess fellows I don't like to see anyone left behind. And I enjoy a variety of builds rather than a tight nit group.

So take it for what it is.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

While I do think it would be fun to watch a scale truck similar to this try to run gates:

Some need to learn the hard way that something like that may not work. However I also do agree that an organization responsible for "visually scale" trucks does have a job to do regarding visual media. Basically you don't wanna have whacky looking trucks (seen the facebook fail thread?) in competitions sponsored by a respectable organization in the community. Short answer is they gotta look scale for a scale sponsored event.

That being said, any event I've ever attended has never turned away a new competitor with an out of spec rig. There was always helpful advice on how to meet class spec.

IMO if there is enough of a turnout, have a RWYB class as well as SORRCA classes. Wouldn't be too tough to implement along side each other with a modified point structure.

Manufacturers should never guide whats best for competition.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Extremes are always mentioned but rarely ever seen in real life.

And most local comps are going to let you run out of spec. But the rules sometimes seem to regulate one persons version of scale rather than keeping builds scale. And that is what should not be.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

My point was just that there isn't much in the way of 60" tires in ttc comps for 1:1. And since this is all 1:10 a 6" tire would be too much. Maybe for 1:6 or 1:8 though it could work. Even 5.5" is tall imo.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
My point was just that there isn't much in the way of 60" tires in ttc comps for 1:1. And since this is all 1:10 a 6" tire would be too much. Maybe for 1:6 or 1:8 though it could work. Even 5.5" is tall imo.
For all 10th scale builds 5.5" is too tall.

That is why my last c3 took a 10" action figure. It was a 7th scale build. 5.5" tires were spot on. This year's c3 is an 1/8 scale build. And 5" tires are spot on. My c2 has a black foot cab and 1.9 xl swampers are pushing it.

But a 1/7 scale TTC truck like Szczerba's. 6" tires are spot on.

But illegal unless you go with a falsely marked mud basher.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

There are already a bunch of rules in class 3 that limit the size difference between body and tyres. So I personally don't see any reason not to allow bigger tyres in c3.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
There are already a bunch of rules in class 3 that limit the size difference between body and tyres. So I personally don't see any reason not to allow bigger tyres in c3.
Actually there's only one body/tire height rule in Class 3.

Class-3 “Modified” Details:
• 146mm / 5.75" max tire size with a 2.2 max rim size (including spare).
• A bumper is not required, but to be counted for points it must be mounted to the vehicle's chassis and wider than the chassis rails (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers).
• Gates will be a minimum of 13" wide.
• Class 3 body minimum specs:
Rock sliders, mirrors, etc. do not count in these measurements:
•The distance between the inside of the tires (of any axle) can be no greater than 1.25" more than the width of the body at the doors.
*Example* (7" inside-of-tire to inside-of-tire = body must be 5.75" wide)
•The body must be at least 5" wide from the front to the rear of the doors.
•Tire height can be no more than 0.5" taller than cab height. Height is measured from the bottom of the skid to the top of the bodywork/tube not including a light bar.
*Example*(5.5" tire = 5" tall from bottom of skid to top of cab/tube work)
•Body must be at least as long as the wheelbase of the vehicle.
• Body modifications including, but not limited to, pinched front, dove-tailing and boat-siding are permitted as long as the final dimensions comply with the minimum size rules.

Last edited by War Pig; 03-24-2015 at 08:27 AM.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

For the very reason of the op, our local club just outlaws comp tires. As long as it's a scale tire, from a known manufacturer, run it! We've bent the rule a little for folks who show up and happen to have rovers or aedonas on. However none of there rigs have outperformed the rigs with scale tires.

To be clear our club runs a modified usrcca trail class, not sorrca. We encourage the run what you brung philosophy. The truly skilled drivers and builders are killing it with scale tires so we have no need to restrict 5.8 or 5.9" tires. If any of our members were to go to a sorrca event. We all understand we'd have to change tires to compete legally. We're not trying to change the system, we live outside of it.

If I were asked my opinion on what sorrca should do, I think they should meet and discuss the larger scale tires to provide an exception list for tires like the swamper xl, radial baja claw, and mud bashers. i understand the problems with cut and shut custom tires. I know it's a lot of extra work to have two sets of tire rules but I'd support it.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

This has been discussed on several occasions, but the truth of the matter is you can't keep changing the rule just because. I know we're talking very minimal differences, and I for one was on the side for amending, but we have to try and keep the rules consistent. Most clubs run relaxed rules anyway, but do make sure that people know what to expect at large events.

Bottom line, don't think the rules are made to take the fun out of crawling, they are merely there to set a basis on which a national event can be run on a level playing field.

Last edited by R2j; 06-16-2015 at 12:07 PM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

leave as is.
and many national events allow the mud bashers because their not a cheater/comp tire and just fit scale wise some rigs.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote

suggestion for c3 tire rule. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
snow tire suggestion glockrocket17 Traxxas Crawlers 23 05-11-2013 01:01 AM
Tire Sealer suggestion... TURBOFEST Tires and Wheels 2 10-18-2007 03:06 PM
2.2 tire rule? Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 11 10-23-2006 08:37 PM
New Pro-Line 2.2 Tire suggestion sicj Tires and Wheels 15 01-30-2006 08:47 PM