Notices

Thread: Ripsaws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ripsaws

why are these legal in a scale comp?
They dont resemble any 1:1 tire.
They perform better then some scale tires due to the tread pattern and compound. Because it came stock on a wraith?
Rock lizards came stock on a axial rig also
Anyone?
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ripsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasmj View Post
why are these legal in a scale comp?
They dont resemble any 1:1 tire.
They perform better then some scale tires due to the tread pattern and compound. Because it came stock on a wraith?
Rock lizards came stock on a axial rig also
Anyone?
The tread pattern is a replica of a 1:1 tire but it's close enough to a lot of them. Also, they aren't all that great compared to the other tires that are out there so it's not like people dominating with them or anything. Pitbulls, Voodoo's or some of the RC4wd offerings are all better tires.

Rock lizards aren't banned and they're terrible.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I haven't found a real 1-1 tire anywhere that's DOT legal and looks like a ripsaw. Got pics for comparison?
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
I haven't found a real 1-1 tire anywhere that's DOT legal and looks like a ripsaw. Got pics for comparison?
I believe Highmark just had a typo and meant to say "The tread pattern isn't a replica of a 1:1 tire but it's close enough to a lot of them." At least that way the sentence makes sense.

Anyway, I don't know the exact reasoning for Ripsaw's being allowed but I'd guess one of the main reasons is that it helps keep the barrier to entry low. If someone new shows up to their first comp with a box stock Honcho only to be turned away because someone decides to be a stickler for tire rules that's not helping anyone. You just create a pissed off newb who's just been told he/she can't play unless they spend another ~$50 - $100 on top of what they've already spent. Even being allowed to run with the caveat that what you've already paid good money for won't fly in the future can leave a bad taste in the mouth. Allowing Ripsaws is absolutely the right move. Besides, Ripsaws are on the small side and not at all an advantage, at least in C2.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
I believe Highmark just had a typo and meant to say "The tread pattern isn't a replica of a 1:1 tire but it's close enough to a lot of them." At least that way the sentence makes sense.

Anyway, I don't know the exact reasoning for Ripsaw's being allowed but I'd guess one of the main reasons is that it helps keep the barrier to entry low. If someone new shows up to their first comp with a box stock Honcho only to be turned away because someone decides to be a stickler for tire rules that's not helping anyone. You just create a pissed off newb who's just been told he/she can't play unless they spend another ~$50 - $100 on top of what they've already spent. Even being allowed to run with the caveat that what you've already paid good money for won't fly in the future can leave a bad taste in the mouth. Allowing Ripsaws is absolutely the right move. Besides, Ripsaws are on the small side and not at all an advantage, at least in C2.
Yup, thanks. And agreed
Old 06-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm all for banning the 1.9 Ripsaws because they look terrible. Ugh.
The 2.2 look great so I don't want them banned.

Both of them perform extremely well in the R35 compound and I think the 2.2 are one of if not the best all-round scale tyres out there. Boy do I regret selling them...
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Except its not scale.....
Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Some people hate a servo mounted to an axle, some hate seeing a CMS setup on a rig that would never have a steering box...... No one is ever going to make everyone happy.
As stated above the tires come on a box stock rig that helps the hobby grow and when they are not hurting the hobby what so ever its like saying "lets ban yellow trucks" because a box stock TF2 comes in yellow.
The rules are for keeping the playing field level, not opinions of what is scale.

And I was shown a photo of a 1:1 jeep on super sized Bobcat tires today. So skys the limit really....
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Except its not scale.....
Show me a real tyre that has the text AXIAL on it's sidewall. You want to ban the treps too?
What about all the non licensed rc4wd tyres?
What about the Pitbull Rock Beast? The real tyre is named Rocker so the rc one is not scale.
Show me a real truck that has a plastic body that is one piece from bumper to bumper and doesn't have opening doors or bonnet/hood.
Show me a real truck that has axles that look like the SCX10 axles.
Show me a real truck that doesn't have any kind of drum or disk brakes anywhere.
Show me a real truck that can do rock crawling without a driver. (Walking the crawler does not apply unless you have a scale figure walking by your scale truck.)
I can go on almost forever with this list.

These things are not meant to be concourse scale models.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:41 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
And I was shown a photo of a 1:1 jeep on super sized Bobcat tires today. So skys the limit really....

so why even have a scale tire rule at all?
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Some people hate a servo mounted to an axle, some hate seeing a CMS setup on a rig that would never have a steering box...... No one is ever going to make everyone happy.
As stated above the tires come on a box stock rig that helps the hobby grow and when they are not hurting the hobby what so ever its like saying "lets ban yellow trucks" because a box stock TF2 comes in yellow.
The rules are for keeping the playing field level, not opinions of what is scale.

But im forced to modify my ascender to compete even though it came box stock that way. Im forced to buy a different battery tray. Double standard.
I noticed on the ban list there are no axial brand tires. Its not about the name on the side wall its the tread pattern.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Your right it's not about the name on the side of the tire.
The Ripsaws was meant as a scale tire, just like the orginal 2.2 pitbulls. And neither break any existing rule.
The ascender battery tray does break the rules and gives an upper hand over the entire playing field.

Like I stated in my last post, you want it outlawed on looks alone. That is an opinion, not something that rules should ever be there for. The rules are for keeping an even playing field.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

the tray gives no real advantage though. a servo on axle gives 70-80g weight to the front axle plus the weight of the mounting plate. a 3s 2200 weighs in at 173g and only half that weight finds its way to the front axle. so really only 86g is transferred to the front axle.

6-16 grams is so little a difference that wheels and tire combos will make that not even a issue. and most people are adding wheel weights.

when my body is on you cant even see the tray. but i sure can see a big black box with a servo horn that doesn't look scale.
a stock vehicle equipment either should be allowed or everyone needs to conform.

ripsaw was designed to be a particular size tire to fit a vehicle. the term scale implies it is a replica of something bigger which it is not.

this looks like a scale tire

so are ripsaws legal because they came stock? because they look like a magical real tire? or because the intent was for axial to save money and not buy a license for a real tire at the time?

Last edited by Nicolasmj; 06-19-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

also ripsaw r35's out perform scale tires. they grab better then tsl's so now where is the even playing feild? I can use a custom tread that does better then your scale tire. yes yous is more or a scaler but i'll still win the comp.. YAY!!!
Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Id like to see someone try and drive a full size ripsaw on the street. see if they vibrate and go deaf due to the non street friendly tread. its a crawler tire. it will always have a advantage over a tire modeled after a scale tire because real tires are street legal.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Id like to see someone try and drive a full size ripsaw on the street. see if they vibrate and go deaf due to the non street friendly tread. its a crawler tire. it will always have a advantage over a tire modeled after a scale tire because real tires are street legal.
Quote:
also ripsaw r35's out perform scale tires. they grab better then tsl's so now where is the even playing feild? I can use a custom tread that does better then your scale tire. yes yous is more or a scaler but i'll still win the comp.. YAY!!!
This is one of those can't win threads.

You asked a question, it's been explained (thoroughly), and now you're going to bash everyone over the head with your opinion on the topic until nothing happens because nothing needs to happen.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Someone had a bad week.....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I don't like the look of rip saws, SO I don't run them.
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

This battle is never going to be won, and I am by no means trying to change your mind. Scale is always in the eye of the builder and no two people think alike. That is the joy of this hobby and the world in general.

Now I totally disagree with your comments on the battery tray. Electronics and/or battery weight lower and pushing on the axle (ie axle mounted) will always be a very big advantage. Plus you want everyone to play by the same rules - make that battery tray legal and then every scale rig has to be allowed to mount all their electronics and lipos on the front axle if they wish.

The ripsaw being that good is an opinion, ask 20 people which tire is best and you'll get 15 different answers. I prefer pitbulls all day long.
The rules wont let you do a fully custom tread, only cut and shuts from approved tires within C3.
I've driven southern cut boggers on the street - sucks, sure. but I knew that when I did it and accepted it.

So again - everything you are throwing at me is opinion based and if you polled the entire community of RCC you would get tons and tons of different replys and ideas. The Rules Committee does a damn hard job weeding through all suggestions, issues, and ideas. At the end of the day a lot of things HAVE to be taken into account when you change, add or modify a rule. Does axial get preference over any other company - doubtful. They know our rules and if you look at the history of all the companies adding to our hobby, it is a two way street.
Does things happen that the Committee has to stand their ground on (your battery tray and proline tires), yeah. But they are done with a lot of thinking from a good group of guys, that spend hours coming at ideas and problems from every angle.

Instead of trying to bash a single tire and the company that made it - Why don't you ask to be apart of the SC and help with the rules as a whole?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Well said JJ
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Ripsaws - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 ripsaws? desertmaxx Tires and Wheels 6 08-06-2012 08:19 PM