Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: scale coil suspension pionts ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default scale coil suspension pionts ....

Could we please award points for scale coil sprung suspensions. There are some of us who put the effort into making a suspension with the coil spring and shock separate, just like in a 1:1. Like leaf springs this limits travel and is very scale.

I believe that this is in the spirit of the rules and think people should be awarded points for their efforts. Below is a pic of what I'm talking about.

Thank you for all your dedication to scaling.

Cory
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

Default Re: scale coil suspension pionts ....

I've been trying to figure how to make these....any threads that you know of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dreyups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Here is my thread over on SBG. I just kinda winged it and found some junk that worked. I didn't really do any searching for others before I started building. Hope this helps....

Florida Scale TJ.....

I really need to update the thread. I have since comped the jeep twice. Once at a team event @ RRW in Florida and the other @ East Coast Scale Challenge in class 1. Both times the rear suspension was flawless.... plenty of flex, no failures, super scale.....

Second pic shows the rear at full droop. Shocks limit the down travel to keep the coils in place.

I really wish one of the SORRCA committee members would chime in on this.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm not so sure it's that much of a performance detriment, not enough to make it worth scale points. The average leaf spring suspension will perform way worse than that setup you have. All you did was remove the spring from the shock. I'd love to hear what others think though.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thank you Warpig for sharing your thoughts. I can assure you that it is far less flex than a coilover setup provides. Although it is better than the cantilever setup from dinky, but just marginally.

My question to you is then....

Why does it have to be a detriment to performance to provide scale points? I thought the intention of the rules was to promote the most scale looking and perfoming rigs possible. Is my suspension not more scale in both looks and performance than what comes standard on most kits? It also takes custom design and fabrication to make it work. Isn't that the spirit of what the rules were made for? To encourage people to push the limits of scale looks and performance?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_cracker View Post
I can assure you that it is far less flex than a coilover setup provides. Although it is better than the cantilever setup from dinky, but just marginally.
Not really. You're using the same spring, same shock, they are just two pieces now. I've built rigs with set ups like that, and there really isn't much of a difference.

Quote:
My question to you is then....

Why does it have to be a detriment to performance to provide scale points? I thought the intention of the rules was to promote the most scale looking and perfoming rigs possible. Is my suspension not more scale in both looks and performance than what comes standard on most kits? It also takes custom design and fabrication to make it work. Isn't that the spirit of what the rules were made for? To encourage people to push the limits of scale looks and performance?
When we originally designed these rules we decided that they would be mostly based on performance since these are competitions and not a car show. I'd love to reward for true scale looks and the amount of custom fabrication, but that's not really fair. Not everyone has the fab skills or access to equipment. It's easier to reward for how the modifications effect the performance of the scale rigs. It just gets too complicated when you start rewarding for every little thing. The simpler the better when it comes to rules like this. I've done many things on my scale trucks that don't get rewarded, mostly because it's cool. I'm still up for input from others on this subject. Tim.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

A metal bumper that is 1mm (0.04") longer than the frame that it attaches to is wide gets 3 scale points in C2 and C3. How does that limit performance?
It has weight but it is low and forward so that's not a handicap. If done correctly it doesn't limit approach angle or snag on to obstacles. Why do you get points for such a bumper but not for separate springs and dampers?

There aren't many off road cars that come from the factory with coilovers. I think it should be awarded that you put the time and effort into making your vehicle as scale as possible. There is the CR01 but I think that can be overlooked for now.

Besides a well made leafed truck will run rings around a stock axial any day. And you can get a much more stable rear with good articulation with separate springs and dampers. But it's still fabrication and should be awarded.

Last edited by Scrap; 09-06-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
AJ.
Quarry Creeper

I'm in agreement with Tim on this, I really don't see a significant performance disadvantage. I definitely feel what you have done is more true to scale, but there is no fair way to assign point values to looks or time spent fabricating. For me the reward for things like this is having your buddy or fellow scale builders say HOLY SH!T that looks cool.
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I for one think that "scale" and "competition" can hardly ever be used in the same sentence. I would absolutely give points for the above truck.

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Worth 25 cool points. Once you accrue 100 you can exchange them for a high five. Add a bumpstop (pencil eraser?) and earn a point for functional exterior scale item?
Dextroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Between the two pics it looks like it has plenty of articulation, maybe not by Facebook standards but...

I think most of us can appreciate the fab work and time that goes into working through something like that. But it's still a coil and a shock, if there were rewards for every combination, would someone with stock SCX10 shocks be rewarded more or less than someone with a functional piggyback, internal spring, or full droop set up? Some would argue that one has a performance advantage over another.

We can all nitpick the rules depending on our specific build. For instance, on my last C2 build I made the inner fenders from sheet metal which netted me -1, and it was certainly more work than cutting up some tupperware. But it's just the way I wanted it in that build, totally my choice.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

OK, So several of posters mentioned performance. That " It's easier to reward for how the modifications effect the performance of the scale rigs."
I can understand that argument. Problem is you already give points for things that are functional and don't hinder performance. Examples would be..... sliders, transfer case, integrated shock mounts, grill guard. I don't see how a scale coil spring setup is any different than those items.

If anything, it should at least warrant points for a scale functional item....
Old 09-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OK, So several of posters mentioned performance. That " It's easier to reward for how the modifications effect the performance of the scale rigs."
I can understand that argument. Problem is you already give points for things that are functional and don't hinder performance. Examples would be..... sliders, transfer case, integrated shock mounts, grill guard. I don't see how a scale coil spring setup is any different than those items.

If anything, it should at least warrant points for a scale functional item....
Sliders, t-case and grill guard can absolutely hinder performance. Sorry dude, I think you're running out of arguments. Just think about the admiration and high fives you'll get from your friends when you show it to them.....that's your reward!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I can't say that I agree with you about tcase and sliders hindering performance. It is also clear that neither one of us going to be swayed from our opinions. So I think rather than waste any more of our time, I will let it go.

Thank you all for your responses. And thank you SORRCA members for all the work you put into our scale rules.

Cory
Old 09-19-2015, 02:34 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

How does a seperate transfercase hinder performance?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

If you want a class that awards custom fab work, petition for a scale "Fab Class" (Class 4?) Other than that, leave the existing class specifications as they are.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
How does a seperate transfercase hinder performance?
In general, it forces the motor to be placed higher in the chassis.... thus changing the cg. It also adds sprung weight, not to mentjon the extra points of failure.....
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

If that's the reasoning then shouldn't a cantilever setup be awarded points too?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Well heck, I guess body clips should qualify also
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I put an extra coat of paint on and that raised my CG; do I get points for that?
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote

scale coil suspension pionts .... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coil over to just coil suspension? jdacus General Scale Talk 7 12-14-2011 07:12 PM
Need some help - coil spring suspension set-ups ecoli General Scale Talk 10 12-04-2011 08:23 AM
Coil Suspension help Zuk90 General Scale Talk 1 01-20-2011 03:21 PM
Coil Suspension mounts sierradmax General Crawlers 1 02-18-2010 09:58 AM
scale coil over setup brendan h 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 12-29-2008 09:40 PM