Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Videos!

Notices

Thread: Charity Montero Shakedown Run.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

I wont be buying a ticket. Even at $20 a pop, thats still twice as much as I would be willing to 'gamble' with. I'd like to have a chance, but you are eliminating many possible donors with a ticket price like that.

Think about how many people use this site? And how many of those people whip out the CC or PayPal when they see something they want?

People who want a better chance at winning a prize in a raffle will by more than one raffle ticket. If I am not willing to buy even one because of the price, how many are going to by at least two?

Raffles incorporate a sort of competition of there own, with the more tickets sold, the more others will want to purchase additional tickets to once again increase their chances of winning.

I cant even tell you how many raffles I have entered, because they were 'only a buck' and only end up later purchasing a few more tickets.

You know, its almost Christmas, and now your really competeting for those all mighty dollars. $40 is a nice gift for one of my family members, whose reward I will see, no chances taken. . .

This isn't an attack, just something to think about. Like I said this is something I'd like to take part in. Think about your market. . .

Drunk

P.S. I like the video, maybe adding some music will help drown out that awfull noise.
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

Can you see why some of the vendors may be upset?
Absolutely.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Ill give you $5.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
I wont be buying a ticket. Even at $20 a pop, thats still twice as much as I would be willing to 'gamble' with. I'd like to have a chance, but you are eliminating many possible donors with a ticket price like that.

Think about how many people use this site? And how many of those people whip out the CC or PayPal when they see something they want?

People who want a better chance at winning a prize in a raffle will by more than one raffle ticket. If I am not willing to buy even one because of the price, how many are going to by at least two?

Raffles incorporate a sort of competition of there own, with the more tickets sold, the more others will want to purchase additional tickets to once again increase their chances of winning.

I cant even tell you how many raffles I have entered, because they were 'only a buck' and only end up later purchasing a few more tickets.

You know, its almost Christmas, and now your really competeting for those all mighty dollars. $40 is a nice gift for one of my family members, whose reward I will see, no chances taken. . .

This isn't an attack, just something to think about. Like I said this is something I'd like to take part in. Think about your market. . .

Drunk

P.S. I like the video, maybe adding some music will help drown out that awfull noise.

Seriously, don't get it then. What's the point of posting this up. If you don't want to give $40 that goes to fight a crippling, life-threatening illness, that's your prerogative. But saying your $40 bucks can go to someone that you know you have a "chance" to see reward - then you're completely missing the point, aren't you?

So what really is the point of you posting that you won't be throwing in your $40? Wouldn't it have been better said by you not throwing in your $40 at all? It just points out your self-interested position where you're saying it's all about how you buy affections for someone that might like you - because you give them a present? Lame. It's about FIGHTING a DISEASE.
hamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Rig is looking great, Pablo. I'm sure whoever wins it, will be very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
jibber jabber and F people with diabetes because $40 is way too much to give for a good cause and a chance to win something worth over 1k in parts & labor...
That's got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on the interwebnet.
FROADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I think you two missed the point. I never said it wasn't a good cause. Its just that the price of a ticket is high enough to eliminate me as a participant in this particular event, and thats what bothers me.

My mother and my grandfather are both diabetic. You don't think it bothers me to see her blue fingernails get darker with time?

You don't think if the ticket price would be lowered more people would be involved? Thats what this is about right? Getting more people involved?

I donate to plenty of other charity organizations.

Jibba Jabba
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

The annoyance, Drunk, is your post that blurts out "I'm not buying it because it's too much," and it's not worth the gamble. Gamble? You sound like a kid "gambling" that your mom will buy you a video game at Walmart. You made a point nobody really asked you to point out. Say if somebody was on the fence about dropping $40 on the raffle, and your post swayed them to think no... well, then that act of A-holeness falls on your lap. If you can't afford it - fine. No harm done. But your post, seriously, reeks of tastelessness.

Most people are tight on money these days, no doubt. But a lot of us blow $40 like nothing on RC, along with other things that are in essence not life's necessities. Seriously. Learn some tact, man.
hamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
Official Scale Nazi

I read DD's post as him trying to make suggestions to make this raffle succeed. His opinion is that the raffle ticket cost is too much for most people to take part in. You misquoting and giving him shit is just as petty as you're implying he's being. Heed your own advise......"learn some tact"
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #29
Who's your Daddy-0!

I think a lot of us agree that $40 is pretty high for any raffle. If the tickets were say $10 each you would get a lot more people involved in buying a ticket. Here is a example of a real 1:1 raffle going on right now for children! "Kids Wish Network"! http://oldcarraffle.com/1967-and-200...zr1-corvettes/ It's for a 1967 Corvette and a 2009 Corvette! Tickets are $3 each, $5 for 10, $15 for 20 tickets and so on!

So dropping $40 for a scale truck seems pretty high when you compare it to raffles we see all the time for $50K+ 1:1 cars! Rethink the ticket prices and this will do a lot better for the cause. It's like the old riddle....."Would you rather have 1 million dollars right now or on the first of the month I will give you a penny on the first day. Everyday after that I will double what I give you for a month. 1st day, $.01, 2nd $.02, 3rd $.04, 4th $.08 ect....

If you pick the penny your smart So either he can charge $40 a ticket and sell 20 tickets or he can sell them for say $10 and sell 200 tickets......

But right now we are all ahead of ourselves. This rig still needs to be finished before anything can be raffled......
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

When I started this build about a year ago I posted the tickets would probably be around $25-$30 each. Back then, and since then till just now, everyone seemed to feel that was a great price range, including people suggesting they would buy several tickets at that price.

Nothing is set in stone. I appreciate all the input and will take it all into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Here is a example of a real 1:1 raffle going on right now for children! "Kids Wish Network"! http://oldcarraffle.com/1967-and-200...zr1-corvettes/ It's for a 1967 Corvette and a 2009 Corvette! Tickets are $3 each, $5 for 10, $15 for 20 tickets and so on!
Here's a listing of 1:1 car raffles, which include that one.
http://www.dreamcarraffles.com/

Most are $100 and up for a single ticket.

The problem I see with comparing this to a 1:1 raffle though is that the 1:1 will appeal to a much greater segment of the population. The hobby RC world is much smaller cross section of people.

Thanks again for everyone's insight and comments, including Drunk. I'll be posting a thread asking for suggestions and comments on the minutia of how to do the raffle. I have an idea but will be soliciting suggestions from you all.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Tried to stay out of the BS but...

I'm pretty sure the $25-$30 per ticket WAS a good idea when it was to be raffled off at the 2009 MSD Scale Nationals like planned. Since the project was not completed as promised, only seems fitting that the vendors that donated their money and products to you to build this get to pick when and where the rig will be donated.... right?

Will this rig be raffled off through the RCC website since the majority of the vendors are from RCC? I'd like to hear from the vendors that donated parts concerning this rig.

Pantablo - Do you have a list of vendors that donated parts? How about the list of parts donated to you? Will the unused parts be raffled off separate?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #32
Who's your Daddy-0!

Well the $25 is better than $40 So why did it go from being $25-30 to $35-40?

And yes other 1:1 raffles go up to and over $100 a ticket. Most of those only sell a set # of tickets to! The whole point is for you to sell as many tickets as possible yea? Getting the ticket price down is the only way your going to do that.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

F people with diabetes because $40 is way too much to give for a good cause

Drunkdriver, you can go **** your self. This is so ****ed up in so many ways, reading that ruined my day.

Pablo, I will be buying at least one ticket, no matter the price, and hopefully more. I love what the money is going to. Thanks for this
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #34
Official Scale Nazi

DrunkDriver did not post that. You read that in a fabricated quote.

See what misquoting can do?
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Do you have a list of vendors that donated parts? How about the list of parts donated to you? Will the unused parts be raffled off separate?
I do have a list of vendors and other non-RCC companies that donated. There aren't many though, like only a handful. I didn't ask many vendors for donations either. Off the top of my head without looking up the list (on the other computer) I can tell you Tamiya, RC4WD, MSD, Team Raceway, Cheapbatterypacks and rclighting.net made product donations. There may be one or two more but its unlikely.

I didn't keep a list of every product or money donation made by individuals but kept a list of where they came from (like what websites/my hobbies/group of people I know, etc). I am going to include a full list in all raffle marketing of all the vendors/companies and sources of individual contributions.

There aren't any unused parts except an axial transmission converted to transfer case use. Everything I received was either sold to fund parts I needed on this rig, traded for parts I needed on this rig or used on this rig, most items were sold.

I'd also like to hear from the vendors, particularly if a vendor is upset I'd like to hear from them in PM's. I don't want any vendor that donated to be upset with their donation so I'd like to discuss it with them directly instead of hearing about it second hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Well the $25 is better than $40 So why did it go from being $25-30 to $35-40?
When the rig got more and more complicated it seemed worth the slightly higher ticket price. You're right in that a lower price will generate more ticket sales. I'll definitely reconsider the ticket price and will more likely be closer to the $25 spot. Definitely not at $40. Its hard to know the balance of what price point will generate the most ticket sales but in the interest of generating more interest I'll keep it lower. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the ticket sales online other than paypal so there wont be fees. I know paypal does 'gifts' but last time I tried that it had me pay the fee instead of the seller. It needs to be something that is not specific to any website since many of the donations and potential ticket buyers were from non-rc related sites.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote